ground stations in coastal norfolk/suffolk

Find and post all your Civil and Military HF, VHF & UHF Frequencies Here

ground stations in coastal norfolk/suffolk

Postby G4RMT » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:24 am

Has anyone got any frequencies for any airband ground based stations that I might hear from Lowestoft. I'm trying to compare aerial systems and while I can hear Norwich Approach on the most efficient aerial, it's missing from everything else, making my comparison useless. Is there anything else in the band that is close enough to Lowestoft I might hear? I'm thinking possibly London Mil, or one of the other radars that come from Suffolk and Norfolk ground stations. Beccles is OK on the best aerial, but too weak to be of use on the others, like Norwich. Bristows land helicopters in Lowestoft, and I have North Denes where many are stabled, but transmissions are very infrequent, and so far, by the time I get set up to measure the strength - they've gone!
G4RMT

Re: ground stations in coastal norfolk/suffolk

Postby Chris P » Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:27 pm

Trimingham is the nearest NATS transmitter site its on the coast near Cromer,but I don't think it has any constantly active frequencies such As volmet , have you tried the Norwich ATIS frequency of 128.625

Chedburgh has a volmet tx on 126.600 which is another possibility although It may be offset by 5Khz to .605 and is quite strong here in NW Norfolk

All of the military bases use UHF for their ATIS or Metro transmitters
Regards Chris aka G8FFF nipper or tazmin88
Chris P

Postby G4RMT » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:20 pm

Good pointers Chris - Chedburgh should be a good one - Trimmingham is a bid shielded by some high ground - take off towards Cromer always a bit grim.

I shall have a go as soon as I have a minute!
G4RMT

Postby Chris P » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:15 pm

I did have a look at an elevation website that shows that there is very little high ground between Lowestoft and Chedburgh but the curvature of the earth may come into play as they are some 80km apart and the horizon is about 30km

I receive Chedburgh volmet Tx at full scale on my AOR8600 via a D777 and S9 on a simple dipole with similar topography between my self and chedburgh .

I tend to use ATIS and volmet transmissions for any antenna comparisons I do on airband antennas as they are continuous transmissions
Chris P

Postby biggles » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:49 pm

Apologies for going off topic, but are there still helicopter movements at North Denes?
biggles

Postby G4RMT » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:09 pm

Thanks Chris - Chedburgh Volmet is not audible sadly - shame! Trimmingham so far is also quiet. Bit of a nuisance. I shall continue my quest.

Biggles - North Denes is inactive in terms of helicopter movements, since CHC moved out a short while ago, but it's still quite common to see a few helicopters there from time to time when you pass - although I thought everything was gone. I guess it could just be a convenient point to stable a few aircraft temporarily? I've not heard they were actually active, as the company has a few problems.
G4RMT

Postby Minus1 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:41 am

Have you tried looking east?
The Amsterdam FIR boundary is closer to Lowestoft than Chedburgh is.
http://www.alfazet.nl/air/PDF/atc7-xpr_atc.pdf
http://www.luchtvaartnoordnederland.nl/ ... equenties/
I reserve the right to ignore people who have made no attempt to the read the manual, and expect others to do it for them.
Minus1

Postby Chris P » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:54 am

I think he needs a ground station (rather than aircraft )for a constant transmission and a fixed location in order to compare antennas , another possibility is an oil or gas rig transmitter
Chris P

Postby G4RMT » Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:51 pm

Yes - that's the thing. I need something consistent, and I don't think I'm going to get it. Switching between the aerials quickly lets me measure the difference, but it's inconsistent with aircraft, and I'm thinking it's the vertical component having an impact. On one frequency - planes coming and going from east to west has some that are stronger on the discone and weaker on the dual bander, but others are the other way around? So I wondering about the vertical performance, which is never mentioned. The dual band design has gain - so consequently less performance as the angle of arrival steepens. Quick work with plane plotter suggests (but not enough data yet to say for certain) that the dual bander is not good at all as they travel over me, but its better when they're just clearing the dutch coast. It does look at the moment that for aircraft, antenna gain is not the benefit I thought.
G4RMT

Postby m0lsx » Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:44 pm

What about using a remote 446 & legal VHF band 2 broadcast TX'. The band 2 TX's that are legal to use. The ones used for plugging something like a mobile phone or DAB into your car system??
Both are legal & licence free. Both are low powered, so end of road for annoying others & both together would give you a VHF & a UHF signal to compare.
Edited to add. If I lived in a better position in Norwich I would throw out some SSTV on 2 & 70 for you.
Buy a database from Kimmy JS19 via http://ukscanningdirectory.co.uk/
Or do Google search of this forum via https://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=partner-pub-6291336405621919:2662881632
73 De Alan (M0LSX.)
http://www.qrz.com/db/M0LSX"
m0lsx

Next

Return to Airband Air Frequencies