2 Way Comms

Find and post all your Civil and Military HF, VHF & UHF Frequencies Here

2 Way Comms

Postby Dieselguzzler » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:10 am

Hi all,

Picking up numerous clear transmissions in Sunderland area.

Can anyone provide any frequencies where 2 way comms between atc and aircraft can be received?

Thanks.
Equipment: UBC125XLT // WATSON W-881
Dieselguzzler

Re: 2 Way Comms

Postby Minus1 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:01 pm

All A/G (Air Ground) transmissions are by definition two-way.
Aircraft are, by definition (when flying), high up, so signals reach a good distance.
Ground transmissions, are (also by definition), not high up, and so do not travel such a long distance.

To receive both ground and aircraft you need to be within range of the ground station, and the aircraft.
Aircraft are easy, the ground requires you to be line-on-sight with an airport or ATC transmitter.

In your area the nearest NATS ATC transmitters are:
Great Dun Fell in Cumbria.
Rothwell in Lincolnshire.
Craigowl Hil near Dundee.

Try going up a nearby hill to see what you can hear from up there.
I reserve the right to ignore people who have made no attempt to the read the manual, and expect others to do it for them.
Minus1

Postby Nighthawk999 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:10 pm

Hi,fully agree with Minus1,I've got a 125xlt and live around 19 miles South of East Midlands airport.When at home I easily get pilots talking to them,but not the other side of the comms.
But,if I travel closer to the airport,by around 12 miles or so,then both sides are picked up.
Nighthawk999

Postby m0lsx » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:45 pm

I remember a friend telling me about how he had sat in his garden in Norfolk listening to air to air refuelling taking place over Europe on his Icom handheld.
Using my base antenna, I often listen to aircraft heading into places like Mildenhall (Suffolk) & Humberside from here in Norwich. But I only get one side of the comms.
I do not seem to get Cambridge at all, despite it only being a few miles the other side of Mildenhall. But I assume that is due to Mildenhall making the fight path into Cambridge below my horizon.
Buy a database from Kimmy JS19 via http://ukscanningdirectory.co.uk/
Or do Google search of this forum via https://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=partner-pub-6291336405621919:2662881632
73 De Alan (M0LSX.)
http://www.qrz.com/db/M0LSX"
m0lsx

Postby biggles » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:29 pm

I'm no radio tecchy but have been a pilot and airband listener for many years (35+) and what I do know is that there there are a number of variables that determine whether you can hear both sides of transmissions. Obviously transmissions from on the ground being 'line of sight' are not going to go far when trying to receive from the ground, but it all depends on location, antenna and antenna height etc. For instance, Nighthawk is in Leicester but cannot hear East Midlands ATC whereas I'm in West Leicester and I know it's higher ground and I can hear East Midlands ATC and in fact, the aircraft on the apron requesting startup etc. and I'm probably the same distance from East Midlands as Nighthawk.
biggles

Return to Airband Air Frequencies