foundation course cost

Find and post all your Irish Frequencies Here

foundation course cost

Postby mrfixit » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:58 am

i recently went to my local radio club to see about doing foundation course and test ,the test costs £27.50 but my local club is looking £65 to do test ,is this normal or are they putting their arm in a bit ,all i want is my test but think the money their looking is a bit much ,anyone with any ideas how i can do test otherwise were its not going to cost an arm and a leg to get
mrfixit

Re: foundation course cost

Postby m0lsx » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:14 am

Some clubs charge, some do not. But it depends upon what it costs them.
So, the answer depended upon what are the club having to pay for. Do they have to pay for the location that they hold the training?? If so for for two days , if it is a weekend course, that can be expensive.
How many people are they training each time. That will make a difference to how much of the costs each trainee pay.

Edited to add, in the RAE days, the courses were run at collages etc & most of them knew how to charge.
Buy a database from Kimmy JS19 via http://ukscanningdirectory.co.uk/
Or do Google search of this forum via https://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=partner-pub-6291336405621919:2662881632
73 De Alan (M0LSX.)
http://www.qrz.com/db/M0LSX"
m0lsx

Postby 2E0UCW » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:57 am

I did mine a few months ago - the exam cost was £27.50 and the training cost me just short of £30.00 which covered the training, notes (in a file), refreshments and having around half a dozen people from the club involved which was well worth it.
2E0UCW

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland (Just up the road from EGLL)

Postby mrfixit » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:59 am

the club i was at own their own shack and they do the tests there so it dosnt cost them anything , the practical is over a weekend with the test on the second day ,there is club membership in the cost as well as the test ,dont know what the rest is for
mrfixit

Postby milly » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:31 am

As people have implied, the cost varies from place to place. £65 doesn't sound unreasonable for a couple of days brushing up on the course and taking the test.
Most clubs will make some kind of charge above the actual test fee, some then give you a discount on membership for your first year. Other clubs insist on you paying for membership before you can use their facilities to take the test...add in a bit of tea money and again £65 seems acceptable to me.

Look at it another way....How much do you want to take the test and how much will it cost you to travel to somewhere that would ONLY charge you the test fee?
milly

Postby 2E0UCW » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:54 am

If you look at it - £37.50 for their time, tea, club membership, practical's (which also involves someone off site who you will have a pre-scripted QSO with) and their knowledge - it's not that bad.
2E0UCW

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland (Just up the road from EGLL)

Postby m0lsx » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:04 am

Just a thought, but maybe the club has found that a small charge puts off people who take the exam & then never get seen or heard of again.
If a small charge makes the club a better place for amateurs, it would seem to make sense to me.
I use to be involved in training & for the time & effort that is put into not only becoming a trainer, but also in running a course. The number of amateurs that comes from those who take the test sometimes does not make the effort worth while.
The time & effort of the trainers is giving freely & it often involves self funded costs. And it is done not for the money, of which there is none. But for the hobby & if as is normally the case, that return is minimal, is it that unreasonable to charge a small fee & stop those with no real interest from doing the test & using peoples good will as a way of passing a weekend??
Buy a database from Kimmy JS19 via http://ukscanningdirectory.co.uk/
Or do Google search of this forum via https://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=partner-pub-6291336405621919:2662881632
73 De Alan (M0LSX.)
http://www.qrz.com/db/M0LSX"
m0lsx

Postby 2E0UCW » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:29 pm

The £30 I paid was worth it - well laid out notes which included the schedules, regulations...

At least half a dozen people - many lecturing on a portion of the course, using slide shows and bits of equipment (and also renaming the SWR meter to a swear meter).

Plus tea, coffee, sugar, milk, biscuits and people to chat to about any radio (or non radio) related stuff before, after and when on a break.

One club member also had to be at home to chat to us during the QSO on HF for the practical's so it's also his time (plus people setting up the equipment before the course).

Surly if someone is willing to spend money buying equipment to get into amateur radio, then a small fee for peoples time to get you through the exam is not much to ask.

My course and the exam took 7 weeks - also including a mock exam in week 6 so we could concentrate on our downfalls during the week for the exam.
2E0UCW

Postby mrfixit » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:48 pm

i know where you guys are coming from ,i dont mind the price but a little cheaper might be better for the likes of people that are not working ,at present myself included, i was saving a few pound a week to do course but will have to keep going for another few weeks lol but will get there
mrfixit

Postby milly » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:46 am

I've never come across a club that runs classes to make money (though I'm sure there will be a few), they do it as a service to help people in the hobby in a spirit of self-learning.

They keep costs to a sensible level.....that said, if you are unfortunate enough to be existing on benefits and you explain that then maybe your local club will be willing to accept a partly deferred payment?

Incidentally, you mention that you only want to take the exam - the Foundation licence requires that you undertake formal training, that training is part of the 'test'.
milly

Next

Return to Ireland Scanner Frequencies