tech help required

SWLing and TX Forum, for everything below 30MHz...

tech help required

Postby lhuchison » Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:23 pm

I have an outside 10 meter wire approx 10 meters high, going into a 9-1 balun in my loft, I then have the coax run down to my aerial tuning unit, which says it has a 4-1 balun. Is this set up ok?
Two baluns in the circuit ? It does tune the wire, especially on the extreme frequencies. Should i take a balun out?
Thanks in advance.
Leon
Icom IC-R8500 + SDRplay + Diamond discone
bhi DSP noise cancellation speaker . 10 meter long wire . 9-1 balun, Howes CTU9 ATU
lhuchison

Re: tech help required

Postby G4RMT » Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:09 pm

The first thing I learned with ATUs was that the good ones can tune anything. If it tunes, and it works, then it's good. If you take out the balun at the bottom (which doesn't really do anything - as the coax is already balanced by the balun up top, you might find it will tune properly, and you could get a little less attenuation. The ATU matches high impedances to your low impedance receiver input - so try it and see? Use whichever works best.
G4RMT

Re: tech help required

Postby lhuchison » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:19 pm

Thanks for your reply, it does tune ok , just wondered if two baluns were a problem?
Icom IC-R8500 + SDRplay + Diamond discone
bhi DSP noise cancellation speaker . 10 meter long wire . 9-1 balun, Howes CTU9 ATU
lhuchison

Return to HF & Shortwave