JRC NRD 525

SWLing and TX Forum, for everything below 30MHz...

JRC NRD 525

Postby gadget11 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:21 pm

Hello Guys
i have just got myself this little beast i have got it on just a long bit of speaker wire but its deaf :embarrased: :shocker:
any ideas on aerials or tips im getting a uhf to bnc plug as i have a dipole for my scanner i will try that

thanks in advance
gadget11

Re: JRC NRD 525

Postby m0lsx » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:16 pm

First double check the settings on things like the attenuator, RF gain, band width settings etc.
Next carefully take the top off & check to see everything is plugged in & reasonably dust free.
The various boards on a JRC just plugs in & out & with time, sometimes just unplugging, cleaning the contacts & re seating is all that is required. Also dust can become what is called "Dry" in electronic items & on RX's that can cause issues.
Plus & this is from memory, but I believe when originally sold, they came with foam inside the radio to protect it & the boards during the initial delivery. And if I am right & it's JRC that did this, then it's worth checking that it has been removed, as sometimes it can still be there.
Buy a database from Kimmy JS19 via http://ukscanningdirectory.co.uk/
Or do Google search of this forum via https://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=partner-pub-6291336405621919:2662881632
73 De Alan (M0LSX.)
http://www.qrz.com/db/M0LSX"
m0lsx

Postby gadget11 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:44 pm

tried all that still no joy all electronics off in my room will try to get some coax
gadget11

Postby G4RMT » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:22 pm

Coax just extends whatever you have on the end. If you are unsure if it's working - can I check how you have connected the bit of wire? I assume you selected the Hi-Z inputs and connected the wire to the red press terminal? The black terminal can for the moment be left unconnected, or attached to something local and earthed - maybe a copper radiator pipe, near the valve if unpainted? Stretch the cable out, and if upstairs, chuck the end out of the winter. On the lower HF bands, connected like this you should pick up all sorts of noisy interference. whack the RF gain up and the noise should go up. If you hear the noise, the receiver is working. If there is silence, then remove the wire from the red socket on the rear, stick it into the coax connector and jam it in with a cocktail/match stick. Make sure the switch is changed to coax and then try it again. If at this point you still have silence - then all is pretty bad.

My guess is that you will hear all sorts of interference, especially if you have TVs, monitors and computers turned on. If you can hear them, then your only problem is an aerial that is too near these things, and not in the clear enough to enable proper reception. Tuning between 3.5 and around 10MHz at any time of the day produces something - as you tune.

Any use?
G4RMT

Postby gadget11 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:34 pm

hello guys
thanks for the comments my UHF to BNC plug arrived today i plugged it in with my aerial and the radio works i just need to get bigger antenna now
gadget11

Return to HF & Shortwave