Search & Rescue Incident - Ground & Air Radio Coms

Watch Scanner and Radio Videos and listen to Audio Recordings Here

Re: Search & Rescue Incident - Ground & Air Radio Coms

Postby m0lsx » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:21 pm

The distance you are able to hear a mountain rescue unit from is going to vary very dramatically.
On VHF the topography (or if you prefer the terrain) between receiver & transmitter make a massive difference. If the path between you & them is clear sky, then the distance could be many tens of miles, even on FM. But if they are low & for example a few buildings are in the way, a few hundred yards is possibly too much.
Even driving up a slope towards a transmitter site can lead to a loss of signal. I know one location where a long gentle slope has a signal from a distant repeater across it all except for the last half a mile. And there, you are in the shadow of the top of the slope & on that last & highest section, you just loose contact as a result.
Buy a database from Kimmy JS19 via http://ukscanningdirectory.co.uk/
Or do Google search of this forum via https://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=partner-pub-6291336405621919:2662881632
73 De Alan (M0LSX.)
http://www.qrz.com/db/M0LSX"
m0lsx

Postby Radioshane » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:32 pm

thanks molsx and I don't thin'k I could pick them up near me as I think the nearest mountain rescue team is north Yorkshire moors and as vhf is line of sight even with aerial on chimney that would be about 30 miles past pickering so couldn't do it I think you would have to be close to one of the national parks
Radioshane

Postby Radioshane » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:39 pm

molsx i'm thinking of staying in some digs to watch the joint warrior exercises in October in helensburgh I know there is a mrt base near hawick
what's the furthest away do you think you could pick them up?
Radioshane

Postby Altomar718 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:13 am

If you have shortwave, the SAR frequency is 5680Mhz - This used to be the control in Kinloss, Scotland and RAF Chivenor in North Devon which has recently closed. It has been taken over by Bristow
Altomar718

Postby Davie Boy » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:09 pm

I like when the tetra transmissions can be heard from 7:43 in the video.... :walkietalkie:
Davie Boy

Postby RadioWatcher » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:00 am

Davie Boy wrote:I like when the tetra transmissions can be heard from 7:43 in the video.... :walkietalkie:

Hello that is Polycon not tetra, with HF bleedthrough.
RW
RadioWatcher

Postby thelad » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:03 am

RW

Hello.
Nope davie boy is correct its Tetra, the Airwave system is being patched into the Polycon for the crew to hear.
My mates a winch man at Bristow.

TL
thelad

Postby G4RMT » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:17 pm

I sometimes think we get too hung up on the names of the systems, when the important thing are the sources. In the control rooms, none of the sources on the screen are ever labelled Tetra or even Airwave. isn't it a bit like getting a FaceTime on your phone, and saying "hang on, Ive got a 4G EE coming in" - wouldn't you usually just say what your phone calls it, like "FaceTime from mum" - I bet many Policemen don't even know what Tetra is, let alone Airwave. If the source comes up on a display in the helicopter, it is going to say VL or whatever callsign the County force are using.
G4RMT

Postby thelad » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:15 am

I have heard the Bristow crews in the past when contacting the MRC Centre on HF say "will contact you via Airwave" i asume thats when they have to pass sensitive details so i would think the crew understand Airwave.
thelad

Postby Davie Boy » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:30 pm

thelad wrote:

RW

Hello.
Nope davie boy is correct its Tetra, the Airwave system is being patched into the Polycon for the crew to hear.
My mates a winch man at Bristow.

TL

Aye.... :thumbup: The Tetra beeps are a big giveaway.... :wink:

I didn't know it was a patch though.... I just thought you could hear the tetra in the background on the polycon.... Very interesting :thumbup:
Davie Boy

PreviousNext

Return to Radio & Scanner Video's and Audio