A better live plane/copter tracker than FlightRadar24

Post and find all your useful radio and scanner links here

A better live plane/copter tracker than FlightRadar24

Postby Staffs Paul » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:05 pm

This has to be a better plane and helicopter tracker than Flight Radar.....

https://www.adsbexchange.com/

Unlike Flightradar it shows a lot of info on the aircraft and also police/helicopters etc that dont show up on Flightradar24.com

Click on "Global Radar View" at the top to go to the live radar map

Staffs Paul

Re: A better live plane/copter tracker than FlightRadar24

Postby Minus1 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:01 pm

Yes very good for finding things that F24 doesn't show, but seemingly useless for finding where on the map an aircraft that it lists actually is. Unless there is some unobvious trick…
I reserve the right to ignore people who have made no attempt to the read the manual, and expect others to do it for them.
Minus1

Postby Staffs Paul » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:20 pm

Minus1 wrote:Yes very good for finding things that F24 doesn't show, but seemingly useless for finding where on the map an aircraft that it lists actually is. Unless there is some unobvious trick…

Go to a full or partial map of the uk. choose your plane by clicking the Silhouette on the table on the right. then zoom close in on the map and on the details of the plane you selected on the right under the picture click Show on map and it will show that plane and its journey trail like on FR24 :mrcool:
Staffs Paul

Postby bassist5 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:46 pm

Worked this afternoon but not working now.I'm just getting a blank map with 'tracking 0 aircraft'.
bassist5

Postby Staffs Paul » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:56 pm

bassist5 wrote:Worked this afternoon but not working now.I'm just getting a blank map with 'tracking 0 aircraft'.

Working ok on this end :thumbup:
Staffs Paul

Postby Minus1 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:47 am

Staffs Paul wrote:Go to a full or partial map of the uk. choose your plane by clicking the Silhouette on the table on the right. then zoom close in on the map and on the details of the plane you selected on the right under the picture click Show on map and it will show that plane and its journey trail like on FR24 :mrcool:

Thanks, that works but is an excessively tedious procedure. Users should just be able to zoom straight in on a plane by double-clicking it in the list.

It needs some usability enhancements if it is to compete with FR24, and navigating the entire site is haphazard. There seem to be multiple sections which are not clearly connected.
I reserve the right to ignore people who have made no attempt to the read the manual, and expect others to do it for them.
Minus1

Postby m0lsx » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:18 am

The system has flaws, but it's a great site. I have used it for a while. I think it was Milly, who pointed me towards it on a thread here.
You can play with how aircraft are shown & in what order, even alter what data is shown below each aircraft.
I just wish they would make it easier to input data.
Buy a database from Kimmy JS19 via http://ukscanningdirectory.co.uk/
Or do Google search of this forum via https://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=partner-pub-6291336405621919:2662881632
73 De Alan (M0LSX.)
http://www.qrz.com/db/M0LSX"
m0lsx

Postby G4RMT » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:18 pm

The MLAT flights that show up, like the USAF one over the top of my house, visible from the ground, are missing from FR24, so I shall be using this. When you zoom in and get just the flights in your area, it's easy to see their plots when clicking on the rh pane - it just gets problematic when you click on a big map, but the quantity of aircraft labels obliterate the actual one that's lit yellow! How does it get info on the ones shown as MLAT no - military ones that presumably aren't transmitting position data, like the helicopters? They don't say where they are, just that they are there somewhere?
G4RMT

Postby milly » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:27 pm

G4RMT wrote: How does it get info on the ones shown as MLAT no - military ones that presumably aren't transmitting position data, like the helicopters? They don't say where they are, just that they are there somewhere?

In this case the objects are transmitting a return data pulse. The packet doesn't contain decodable position data though. Hence you know it's there.

Measure the time for the same signal to arrive at multiple stations. As long as the clocks on the receivers end are accurate you know where the source was.
milly

Postby milly » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:25 pm

As for whether one of these flight trackers is 'better' than any other..............

Like most other things there is no 'best' in a general sense. There can be a 'best' for any individuals usage....what do you actually want to see?

FR24 is great if you are interested in spamcans and coverage of geographical areas with few hobbyists. It's really aimed at commercial users

Flightaware is somewhat similar to FR24 but military aircraft view exists for data feeders

adsbexchange is ok and particularly so for the USA. It has far more erratic coverage as data suppliers come and go. Advantage is that it doesn't restrict what is shown by type/operator

Planeplotter remains the best if you want bells and whistles, over complication and screens full of flying tinfoil....BUT there are restrictions in some military types for reasons which make no sense at all. It's also capable of causing your PC to almost grind to a halt if you create exotic filters. It also requires you use software rather than just a web-browser.

360radar is probably the best if you want UK military and probably if you are interested in UK low level. Much smaller and aims to cover the UK airspace and not waste it's effort on places where you wouldn't be able to see the aircraft or hear normal RT. No restrictions on what is shown based on type/operator. It's definitely better than adsbexchange for UK coverage

To give an example of coverage including mil using the same map area (UK with as little of the EU mainland included as possible) a few minutes ago:
360radar - tracking 511 aircraft of 2045
adsbexchange - tracking 399 of 8392

If I take a much smaller area, again same for each, 360 radar is tracking 15 and adsbexchange tracking 9 (three of the ones NOT seen by adsbexchange are military and three are civil). Both are missing a lot of military aircraft ...but those are really outside the realm of normal hobby kit.

PP isn't as easy to compare and it would give me a headache trying to make the output somehow comparable

I guess for a hobby user the thing to do is buy a noolec nesdr smart, a rpi and a little ducky on your windowsill. Use that to feed all of the above and then you can swap between them to your hearts content depending what it is you want to monitor at any given moment...or even just monitor what you can receive yourself (want a mobile setup for when you visit the local airport and watch the tugs, buses etc as well as the aircraft moving...nice and simple!)
milly

Next

Return to Links