Programming help

For all your radio modifications, manuals, tips, reviews and guides

Programming help

Postby thefinch » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:43 pm

Hi

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction, I've recently started going to air shows, so far done wadding ton twice and looking at farnborough or riat next year and i also regularly go to cornwall and visit culdrose and at home I'm not far from leeds bradford and manchester domestic airports. Anyway I've got a uniden 3500xlt scanner with the watson antenna etc after reading online fine no probes there, i got the usb cable online and installed on my win 7 laptop and downloaded something called bctool, what I'm having difficulty with is getting the software to see the scanner so can add frequencies, I've checked the settings on both device manager in windows and on the software and both say com 4 but the manual that came with the scanner isn't very clear on the correct method of entering into pc program mode or whatever its called. can anyone advise or is there an idiots guide?

many thanks
thefinch

Re: Programming help

Postby thelad » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:35 pm

Is the pc picking up the scanner/cable? Ding noise when plugin in USB? If it is then the problem is with bctool settings, try freescan instead of bctool as i find it easier to use.
thelad

Postby thefinch » Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:43 pm

hi thanks for the reply

yes laptop picks up the cable and all drivers installed, checked device manager etc for com port and checked to make sure same on bc tool, wasn't sure if i needed to do anything on the scanner itself, i will try that other program you mentioned and report back
thefinch

Postby thefinch » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:57 pm

Hi

Update new software installed, freescan automatically detected my scanner and I was able to add a few frequencies, wether they are right or if I have done right will have to have a road trip at the weekend to local airport to test

Thanks again for the advice
thefinch

Postby thelad » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:08 am

If LBA is your local where do you live if you dont mind me asking.
thelad

Postby thefinch » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:15 am

I live heckmondwike area so still about 15 miles away
thefinch

Postby thelad » Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:28 pm

Ah ok not far from me in Hudds.
thelad

Postby thefinch » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:26 pm

No not far

I'm fairly new to some stuff this year is the first out of 6 that I haven't gone to Cornwall for rnas culdrose air day, but if you could recommend any decent spots or local frequencies and stuff I'd be interested

Thanks
thefinch

Return to Radio & Scanner Mods, Manuals and Tips