Loft or pine end outside

For all your radio modifications, manuals, tips, reviews and guides

Loft or pine end outside

Postby Throbber » Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:55 pm

Hey guys,

A newbie question (again).
Just got myself a Realistic Pro-2006, so wanting to make the most of it i have gone for a new antenna and low loss co-ax.
Antenna is a Sigma Scan King SE1500 and i've invested in 20 meters of RG213 co-ax, given it's low loss properties.

So having invested in this kit my question is, do i spend a little bit more and get my antenna mounted on outside of house on pine end well clear of any obstructions, OR put my antenna in the loft next to the pine end ?.

Will i lose much signal by putting in attic ?, or will i be wasting my money already paid out ?.
I'm hoping someone can put the antenna mount up for me for around £40.00 is it worth the investment ?.

I had a stroke 5 years ago so doing myself is impossible, i'm shaky enough on the ground let alone up a ladder 40ft in the air !!!!!!!!!! :embarrased:

Any replies appreciated

Throbber

Realistic PRO 2006
Uniden UBC 355CLT
Realistic DX 300
DVB -T 820T2
QYT KT-7900D Quad Band
CRT SS9900
Baefong UV5
Himalaya WB Antenna
Throbber

Re: Loft or pine end outside

Postby m0lsx » Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:09 pm

You could do either. I have an antenna outdoors & one indoors. The loft mounted antenna will be at a disadvantage. Partly because the structure of the house will attenuate signals slightly & also because you are more likely to get QRM from electrical wiring, plumbing etc.
But one advantage of an indoor antenna is that lightning is less of an issue, which is one of the reasons I keep an indoor antenna.
Buy a database from Kimmy JS19 via http://ukscanningdirectory.co.uk/
Or do Google search of this forum via https://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=partner-pub-6291336405621919:2662881632
73 De Alan (M0LSX.)
http://www.qrz.com/db/M0LSX"
m0lsx

Postby Chris P » Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:26 pm

Throbber wrote:Hey guys,

A newbie question (again).
Just got myself a Realistic Pro-2006, so wanting to make the most of it i have gone for a new antenna and low loss co-ax.
Antenna is a Sigma Scan King SE1500 and i've invested in 20 meters of RG213 co-ax, given it's low loss properties.

So having invested in this kit my question is, do i spend a little bit more and get my antenna mounted on outside of house on pine end well clear of any obstructions, OR put my antenna in the loft next to the pine end ?.

Will i lose much signal by putting in attic ?, or will i be wasting my money already paid out ?.
I'm hoping someone can put the antenna mount up for me for around £40.00 is it worth the investment ?.

I had a stroke 5 years ago so doing myself is impossible, i'm shaky enough on the ground let alone up a ladder 40ft in the air !!!!!!!!!! :embarrased:

Any replies appreciated

Throbber

You`ll be lucky to get it done for £40 I had my D777 put on a pole and bracket last year . I supplied the hardware and the minimum quote was £140 I ended up paying £180 to get it done quickly .

I have several antennas in the loft ( Brick construction and tiled roof ) and the signal difference between the D777 and the loft antennas is only a few S points except when it rains , but check various locations within the loft for sweet spots moving an antenna by a couple of feet can make all the difference as can proximity of any metal water tanks pipes and cables etc . I had an ADSB antenna in the loft which gave me a range of around 150 miles all round with an average of 200 aircraft so I put it outside and increased that to 250 shortly afterwards the saw filter on my SBS rx was destroyed by static . Most of my antennas are now tied to DC ground but I still disconnect the D777 if theres any storms about .
Regards Chris aka G8FFF nipper or tazmin88
Chris P

Postby Throbber » Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:20 pm

Hi Chris,
Had the antenna mounted few weeks ago, i had the pole, mounting bracket etc, cost me £40.00 for two guys from a local TV Aerial company to come and erect it, took about 20 minutes and had it placed on top of pine end.
Does work a treat I'm picking up aircraft from West of Ireland (mainly transcon aircraft) down to St Malo, East to Reading / Swindon and North to Liverpool, so had a great outcome, apart from the amount of traffic coming in especially in the morning rush hour !.

Have to say this Pro 2006 is a fantastic piece of kit together with the Sigma Scan King SE1500, it's been a great entry into this fascinating hobby :walkietalkie: :happy:

Realistic PRO 2006
Uniden UBC 355CLT
Realistic DX 300
DVB -T 820T2
QYT KT-7900D Quad Band
CRT SS9900
Baefong UV5
Himalaya WB Antenna
Throbber

Postby Chris P » Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:39 am

Pleased to hear it worked out well for you , your aerial fitting company gave you a good deal .
Regards Chris aka G8FFF nipper or tazmin88
Chris P

Return to Radio & Scanner Mods, Manuals and Tips