3500 discriminator tap / earphone socket

For all your radio modifications, manuals, tips, reviews and guides

3500 discriminator tap / earphone socket

Postby AndrewIrvine » Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:59 pm

Does using the earphone socket to use the tap do away with the earphone socket, rendering it useless when not hunting down DMR?
200 miles in 2 days for my 3 children.
https://www.justgiving.com/Andrew-Gordon-50

Pro 2042, Pro 26, 3500XLT, BCT15X
Yaesu FT60-R, Yeasu 1900, Retevis RT3, Tytera MD380, Retevis H777, FDC160A, 278B, Puxing 888

"I'm listening.."
AndrewIrvine

Re: 3500 discriminator tap / earphone socket

Postby essexRXer » Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:45 am

AndrewIrvine wrote:Does using the earphone socket to use the tap do away with the earphone socket, rendering it useless when not hunting down DMR?

Yes,after modding the earphone socket becomes a line out that requires a pre amp be able to be heard- it is un-squelched so it will constantly be noisy.
If the connections for ear are left on you could put a three pole single throw switch that could toggle between the modes you want (you would need to power down the unit to be sure of not damaging the unit during switch over).
However a chassis 3.5mm female jack is quick and less likely to mess up your setup. Keep it simple.
essexRXer

Postby brian-w » Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:57 pm

If you're talking about the Undiden UBC3500XLT, then the above is not strictly true.

Doing the disc tap mod will remove the true mono function of the earphone socket and you'll have low-level discriminator audo on one channel, with 'proper' audio on the other.

What I've done is to take a 'Y' audio adapter (1x 3.5mm plug to 2x 3.5mm sockets), cut it in half and on the bit going to the sockets, combine left & right wires on each on to give a mono feed to each socket.

On the plug side, split left/right leads and connect each to one of the (now mono) sockets. This provides tapped audio on one socket & full audio on the other. With this arrangement I can listen to proper squelched audio on headphones, whilst feeding the discrim tap to the computer for DSD+ to decode etc.

Works well and the only thing to be careful about is the normal volume level - too high and it distorts the tapped audio.
brian-w

Postby essexRXer » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:50 pm

brian-w wrote:If you're talking about the Undiden UBC3500XLT, then the above is not strictly true.

Doing the disc tap mod will remove the true mono function of the earphone socket and you'll have low-level discriminator audo on one channel, with 'proper' audio on the other.

What I've done is to take a 'Y' audio adapter (1x 3.5mm plug to 2x 3.5mm sockets), cut it in half and on the bit going to the sockets, combine left & right wires on each on to give a mono feed to each socket.

On the plug side, split left/right leads and connect each to one of the (now mono) sockets. This provides tapped audio on one socket & full audio on the other. With this arrangement I can listen to proper squelched audio on headphones, whilst feeding the discrim tap to the computer for DSD+ to decode etc.

Works well and the only thing to be careful about is the normal volume level - too high and it distorts the tapped audio.

Hi Brian,

Yes you are right!, I never considered using LH and RH for different uses, great idea.
I use mono leads, I guess the only thing to double check is that the PC sound card is 'listening' to the right channel. I have a ubc360clt.
essexRXer

Postby AndrewIrvine » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:35 pm

Thank you for the replies.I didn't realise or at least consider that using the earphone socket for DMR also could make it awkward or almost useless. I'll get someone to look at the replies.
200 miles in 2 days for my 3 children.
https://www.justgiving.com/Andrew-Gordon-50

Pro 2042, Pro 26, 3500XLT, BCT15X
Yaesu FT60-R, Yeasu 1900, Retevis RT3, Tytera MD380, Retevis H777, FDC160A, 278B, Puxing 888

"I'm listening.."
AndrewIrvine

Return to Radio & Scanner Mods, Manuals and Tips