Do you have any questions, comments, ideas or requests?

Talk about radio and non radio stuff in here, a place for Genral Chit Chat

Re: Do you have any questions, comments, ideas or requests?

Postby m0lsx » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:09 pm

I would expect you to be able to hear aircraft, as with VHF hight is the key & aircraft have that. Hight that is. However I would not expect you to hear much in the way of ground stations, due to your local terrain.
VHF is stopped by hills, trees, especially wet green trees, buildings & more or less anything else that is in the direct path of it. All it takes is for something to be a little higher than one of the antennas, so that it stops one from seeing the other & VHF at best deteriorates significantly, or more normally, it disappears.
VHF airband is a massive chunk of spectrum. So I normally band scan it in small chunks as radio overs tend to be short, so the quicker you can scan your chunk, the more you stand a chance of hearing.
Only scan 118.000 Mhz to 136.9750 MHz. And I personally do that in 4 chunks. Each 4MHz big & I would scan it in 8.33 khz steps, as high level comms is in 8.33khz steps, but it will also allow you to hear the more normal 25 khz steps too.
4mhz in 8.33khz steps is just under 500 steps. So you should get most overs.
Antenna wise if it's airband that interests you then commercial airband antennas are available, but the cost of the antenna is the smallest cost. You will need mounting brackets, a mast & decent coax so you keep the signal that the antenna receives. The antenna it's self need not cost more than £40, but for the coax add around £1.50 per meter, plus connectors.
A home made antenna for airband will probably perform better than a commercial one, as you can optimise it for your own needs. Budget well under £5 for a home made antenna, plus the coax.
Use something called Chocolate Block, to join the coax to a couple of lengths of wire.

The wire will need to be the the right length. But it's that simple.
The following is for 135MHz in the airband.

Buy a database from Kimmy JS19 via http://ukscanningdirectory.co.uk/
Or do Google search of this forum via https://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=partner-pub-6291336405621919:2662881632
73 De Alan (M0LSX.)
http://www.qrz.com/db/M0LSX"
m0lsx

Postby Exploville » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:45 pm

Yupi 7100
I own two of these long-in-the-tooth but well-loved scanners. However, one is now dead and the other's speaker got damaged very early on. Does anyone know of anyone who might be able to take the speaker from the dead one and put it in the other? I have an appalling non-Parkinson's tremor which makes soldering impossible.
Exploville

Postby Blind dude » Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:08 am

I would think that a local collage with an electronics department might be able to assist you if you spoke with one of the lecturers in return for a chat with the students about your hobby. Might be worth a call next week. I mean, the worst they could say is no, but on a positive side, could point you in the right direction.
Hopefully this might help
Blind dude

Postby Chris P » Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:51 am

If you give us some idea of your location there may be someone on here local to you who would be prepared to help . Alternatively are there any amateur radio clubs or cb clubs in your locality
Regards Chris aka G8FFF nipper or tazmin88
Chris P

Postby Exploville » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:49 am

Re Yupiteru 7100
I'm currently in the Kettering area of East Northamptonshire, though I'm expecting to move to South Somerset before the end of the year. Any help would be most welcome.
Exploville

UK Scanning Directory question

Postby Metradio » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:58 am

Have a query about the "Personalised Scanning Directories" service from UK Scanning Directory, tried emailing the XTRATALK address last week but no reply to now..
I am interested in your PERSONALISED DIRECTORY service, I live in Slough SL1 2** can you tell me how far out in distance the directory would cover please?

Mike
Connect Systems CS750 and CS800, Hytera PD-365, Motorola DP4600.
Raspberry Pi 2 and DV4Mini HotSpot.
AOR AR-DV1 Digital Voice Receiver / eSPY on ARD.
WS1088 / TRX-1 / Whistler Q /UBCD3600XLT.
Metradio

Postby SilverShadow » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:03 am

Hi Mike

Sorry for the delay in our reply.

They usually cover about a 6 to 10 miles range depending on the area. For instance around the center of London which is a built up area the area covered would be around 6 miles radius compared to more rural areas which would cover a further radius.

For example, if you ordered a personal directory with a Kettering address it would cover Kettering and the surrounding area including Corby and Wellingborough. All local users on the ground such as council, taxis, shopwatch etc. are covered along with local amateur use and regional civil and military airband.

Best regards
SilverShadow
Site Admin

Postby Metradio » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:40 am

Thanks very much for your reply... Order placed..

Mike
Connect Systems CS750 and CS800, Hytera PD-365, Motorola DP4600.
Raspberry Pi 2 and DV4Mini HotSpot.
AOR AR-DV1 Digital Voice Receiver / eSPY on ARD.
WS1088 / TRX-1 / Whistler Q /UBCD3600XLT.
Metradio

Postby Bigdoubletop » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:56 am

Just brought a realistic 2042 scanner don't think the aerial is that good can pick chatter up from planes but not very good any ideas on a aerial upgrade plz
Bigdoubletop

Postby m0lsx » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:03 pm

I have a 2042 & they are not a bad scanner. But the small telescopic whips are useless.
There are a number of options depending upon your budget & what you are allowed to do.
Best option is an out door antenna. The antenna it's self will cost about £40. But add in good coax, mounting brackets, poles etc & look at £200.
Next best is a loft antenna. Depending upon the height of your loft a discone standing on the floor is a good option. Again add in good coax even if you are only using a few meters. RG-213 is about £1.50 per meter.
Next best is either a Nomad antenna or small table top discone in the loft, but your radio needs to be close to the discone as the coax is short. Expect to pay around £40 to £50 for a desktop & £22 for a Nomad. Please don't get a preamp as they just add issues.
http://www.spectrumcomms.co.uk/Aerials.htm
Next is a Nomad in a window or against a wall. After that a desktop discone in a corner.
I also rate a long telescopic antenna. Please put the scanner in the corner & make sure it's not knocked, as these antennas are long & thus put a lot of pressure on the radios BNC connector. You will need a 90 degree BNC & the antenna total cost about £20. My long telescopic came from Rocket in Letchworth, it was a Christmas present about 5 or 6 years ago & it makes a brilliant extra antenna for me. Especially when visiting family etc.
But as I said take care a 4 foot long whip really can damage your radio if swings around.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Radio-Scanner-Antenna-BNC-SUPER-LONG-Telescopic-/390739001776?hash=item5af9dc01b0:g:wUwAAOxyA9dSZ60r
A 90 degree BNC.
Buy a database from Kimmy JS19 via http://ukscanningdirectory.co.uk/
Or do Google search of this forum via https://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=partner-pub-6291336405621919:2662881632
73 De Alan (M0LSX.)
http://www.qrz.com/db/M0LSX"
m0lsx

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion