Marine Traffic crossing Norfolk.

Talk about radio and non radio stuff in here, a place for Genral Chit Chat

Marine Traffic crossing Norfolk.

Postby m0lsx » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:18 pm

I have just noticed the Anna Hendrika, which is currently doing 6.5 knots as it crosses Norfolk.
She is currently a few miles from Beetley heading for the A47.

Image

Image


These tracking systems are very good, but are ultimately they are only as good as the information that is input into them.
Buy a database from Kimmy JS19 via http://ukscanningdirectory.co.uk/
Or do Google search of this forum via https://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=partner-pub-6291336405621919:2662881632
73 De Alan (M0LSX.)
http://www.qrz.com/db/M0LSX"
User avatar
m0lsx
 
Posts: 4840
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:14 pm
Location: Norwich. TG21.

Re: Marine Traffic crossing Norfolk.

Postby deadite66 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:11 pm

Earlier in the week i heard one boat being told off for having incorrect AIS data, something about it saying no one was in control.
Airspy R2 on a Discone
RSP2 Pro on a Scanmaster B1300-N and a cheap telescopic dipole from aliexpress.
Windows 10 and Antergos Linux.
Yupiteru MVT-9000 MKII telescopic ant.
deadite66
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:38 pm
Location: Great Yarmouth

Re: Marine Traffic crossing Norfolk.

Postby m0lsx » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:18 pm

http://cdn.coolerpress.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/adventures.jpg

We had a ship aground off Norfolk for more than a week just before Christmas & the Coastwatch group, who should have been in visual contact with it, from their local look out were at one point telling the local press it was afloat, when AIS clearly showed at as still aground.
Buy a database from Kimmy JS19 via http://ukscanningdirectory.co.uk/
Or do Google search of this forum via https://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=partner-pub-6291336405621919:2662881632
73 De Alan (M0LSX.)
http://www.qrz.com/db/M0LSX"
User avatar
m0lsx
 
Posts: 4840
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:14 pm
Location: Norwich. TG21.

Re: Marine Traffic crossing Norfolk.

Postby Frequency Hopper » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:23 pm

May I ask what Marine Tracking system you are using there?

I do enjoy monitoring airband on the radio whilst at the same time watching them on the computer but I've never done any Marine tracking.
User avatar
Frequency Hopper
 
Posts: 276
Joined: Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:16 pm

Re: Marine Traffic crossing Norfolk.

Postby m0lsx » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:05 pm

I use MarineTraffic, but there are others.
Sometimes you will see the Air Sea Rescue Helicopters on there too.

http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:1/centery:53/zoom:8
Buy a database from Kimmy JS19 via http://ukscanningdirectory.co.uk/
Or do Google search of this forum via https://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=partner-pub-6291336405621919:2662881632
73 De Alan (M0LSX.)
http://www.qrz.com/db/M0LSX"
User avatar
m0lsx
 
Posts: 4840
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:14 pm
Location: Norwich. TG21.

Re: Marine Traffic crossing Norfolk.

Postby deadite66 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:03 am

Being in great yarmouth i have tried decoding AIS with my rtlsdr dongle but not much luck, i'd need to be closer to the sea and have a better aerial.
Airspy R2 on a Discone
RSP2 Pro on a Scanmaster B1300-N and a cheap telescopic dipole from aliexpress.
Windows 10 and Antergos Linux.
Yupiteru MVT-9000 MKII telescopic ant.
deadite66
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:38 pm
Location: Great Yarmouth

Re: Marine Traffic crossing Norfolk.

Postby Giblets » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:22 am

m0lsx wrote:http://cdn.coolerpress.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/adventures.jpg

We had a ship aground off Norfolk for more than a week just before Christmas & the Coastwatch group, who should have been in visual contact with it, from their local look out were at one point telling the local press it was afloat, when AIS clearly showed at as still aground.


The status of the vessel as shown on the AIS Type A is manually input by those onboard so it's quite possibly the vessel was in fact floating as observed by the NCI watchkeepers but the status had not been changed. I have passed ships in the English Channel where their status is showing as "Moored" or "At Anchor" but they were bimbling along at over 18 knots. Garbage in = garbage out!
Giblets
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:54 pm

Re: Marine Traffic crossing Norfolk.

Postby m0lsx » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:03 pm

Giblets wrote: The status of the vessel as shown on the AIS Type A is manually input by those onboard so it's quite possibly the vessel was in fact floating as observed by the NCI watchkeepers but the status had not been changed. I have passed ships in the English Channel where their status is showing as "Moored" or "At Anchor" but they were bimbling along at over 18 knots. Garbage in = garbage out!


No, Coastwatch had not seen it refloated & moved to a close by mooring as they claimed as the vessel had not moved since running aground. Looking at the track of the vessel made it clear it had not been refloated, as did the following week of watching her. As the vessel was aground for a week after the claim by Coastwatch, so what possessed them to say it had been refloated is anyone's guess.
It took a second larger tug & a survey vessel to get the aground vessel afloat again.
Buy a database from Kimmy JS19 via http://ukscanningdirectory.co.uk/
Or do Google search of this forum via https://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=partner-pub-6291336405621919:2662881632
73 De Alan (M0LSX.)
http://www.qrz.com/db/M0LSX"
User avatar
m0lsx
 
Posts: 4840
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:14 pm
Location: Norwich. TG21.

Re: Marine Traffic crossing Norfolk.

Postby Giblets » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:59 pm

m0lsx wrote:
Giblets wrote: The status of the vessel as shown on the AIS Type A is manually input by those onboard so it's quite possibly the vessel was in fact floating as observed by the NCI watchkeepers but the status had not been changed. I have passed ships in the English Channel where their status is showing as "Moored" or "At Anchor" but they were bimbling along at over 18 knots. Garbage in = garbage out!


No, Coastwatch had not seen it refloated & moved to a close by mooring as they claimed as the vessel had not moved since running aground. Looking at the track of the vessel made it clear it had not been refloated, as did the following week of watching her. As the vessel was aground for a week after the claim by Coastwatch, so what possessed them to say it had been refloated is anyone's guess.
It took a second larger tug & a survey vessel to get the aground vessel afloat again.


In that case it sounds like a bit of duff reporting (or "mis-understanding") by the local press. Not the first time this has happened with local press in my experience. At our NCI lookout we are instructed not to speak to the media regarding any incident and to refer any questions to the MCA.
Giblets
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:54 pm

Re: Marine Traffic crossing Norfolk.

Postby m0lsx » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:10 pm

It is more than a possibility that the media got it wrong, they do get lots wrong. However it was an attributed quote.
Buy a database from Kimmy JS19 via http://ukscanningdirectory.co.uk/
Or do Google search of this forum via https://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=partner-pub-6291336405621919:2662881632
73 De Alan (M0LSX.)
http://www.qrz.com/db/M0LSX"
User avatar
m0lsx
 
Posts: 4840
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:14 pm
Location: Norwich. TG21.

Next

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest