Prisons and Courts Bill.

Talk about radio and non radio stuff in here, a place for Genral Chit Chat

Prisons and Courts Bill.

Postby m0lsx » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:46 pm

I have just been reading a very interesting in depth article on the new proposed Prisons and Courts Bill. Which was announced last month by Justice Secretary Liz Truss.
The interesting part of the bill for us, is that it will

Introduce new powers to tackle the scourge of mobile phones sneaked into prisons by jamming them.

Personally I thought Prisons already had an exemption, I believe it was legalised for use in Prisons in around 2012 & I have never understood why they do not already jam mobile phone frequencies, as the costs spoken of by the Government £300 million plus to fit & £1 million a year to maintain is clearly wrong.
Prisons also have, as I understand it, the right to use Grabbing systems (IMSI-catcher) which would allow them to both monitor mobile phone traffic around the prison & block any traffic they do not want. We know for a fact that 5 British Police forces are are using Grabbers with known costs of around £170,000 each showing up in the respective Police force accounts. And grabbers are much more expensive than a jammer, so where does that £300 million come from?
Looking at statistics around 7500 mobile phones were seized in English & welsh prisons during 2013 & evidence exists of murders being organised from prisons by them & for numerous other crimes being committed as a result of mobile phones in Prisons.
Buy a database from Kimmy JS19 via http://ukscanningdirectory.co.uk/
Or do Google search of this forum via https://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=partner-pub-6291336405621919:2662881632
73 De Alan (M0LSX.)
http://www.qrz.com/db/M0LSX"
m0lsx

Re: Prisons and Courts Bill.

Postby moj » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:05 pm

Like you say I personally think prison's want the mobile phones sneaked in due to they can gain more evidence from calls made etc , I know they walk around with handheld sniffer devices the search for the mobile networks in use and also they have the chairs that xray the body for foreign objects for eg tiny phones but as someone told me they don't detect them usually so there easily sneaked inside and they have never known a jammer to be in use inside .

they also use the stingray grabbing devices that they always deny but there's apps that can search for rogue cellular towers and there being used more national now by police and prisons and the power of the anti-terror law gives them this power .
moj

Postby G4RMT » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:48 am

I firmly believe that while the public are outraged, the prison service know what goes on and are happy it works for them. Allowing cannabis into prison quietens them down, allowing them to talk to family does the same. Letting the harder drugs be traded gives them something they had outside. They could easily shut a wing down and go through it moving prisoners one by one, removing legal items and have a sterile prison but they don't have staff to then keep it safe for the majority. Legalised rule breaking for the overall good. It's not prison, just premiere inn with better locks. There are very dangerous people in them, so safer to let them think they run the place. It's not Ronnie Barker any more.
G4RMT

Postby m0lsx » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:48 pm

The prison service like the NHS has been cut & cut to the point of collapsing. Searching a cell takes a lot of man power time. To be effective it needs to be a finger tip search & it takes several staff (preferably 4, but certainly no less than 2.) And takes an hour plus to do, as each area needs searching twice by different people & it should by rights be done while a member of staff over sees the search to pick up any potential errors.
A Doctor needs to be present for a full cavity search, rather than the brief, simple & rather ineffective searches the likes of the Police do on the arrests you see on TV.
A Search dog can only search for a brief time, so search dogs have more of a deterrent effect, as they are very good while they are working, rather than all day & over all effect. As you can only do a few cell / people searches per day, as dogs loose effectiveness after half an hour of working with no break.
The hand (wand) type metal detectors are at best a visual & psychological deterrent. As they work well sometimes & are intermittent in their effectiveness.
My wife spent many years working in mental health forensic services. That is with those detained due to criminal convictions & spent time visiting various prisons for assessments & also a period in a prison as part of her mental health training.
My father in law was also a head of Chaplaincy at one of the UK's most secure prisons.
If you feel drugs help with control in a prison, then talk to anyone on a mental health ward where people are admitted from the street, or who as part of their ob do amassments in the Police 146 suit. Drugs users are known as the biggest problem in many new admissions, they cause aggression & often result in assaults on staff or other patients & if any assault or more than minor aggression occurs, then staff HAVE to deal with it & even managing aggression can be dangerous for staff, despite the training.
Norfolks mental health wards do not have the drug problems or the aggression levels of many prisons or other areas. But about two years ago a ward colleague of my wife's was stabbed. Another work colleague when she was on a different ward received such a serious injury to her head that she will never work again & has memory issues that will never leave her able to live a normal life again. My wife has been slammed so hard into a wall that the resulting injury resulted in her being off work for several months & needing hospital treatment. And they are just the most serious recent events.
Buy a database from Kimmy JS19 via http://ukscanningdirectory.co.uk/
Or do Google search of this forum via https://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=partner-pub-6291336405621919:2662881632
73 De Alan (M0LSX.)
http://www.qrz.com/db/M0LSX"
m0lsx

Return to General Discussion