UK Scanning Directory & Hello

Talk about radio and non radio stuff in here, a place for Genral Chit Chat

UK Scanning Directory & Hello

Postby Dieselguzzler » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:28 pm

Hello all,

My first post so firstly like to say hi from North East England, been scanning along with my father for a few years now, we have a ubc72xlt & ubc125xlt both fitted with Watson 881''s.

Always scanned for civil aviation, and receive decent clear transmissions now with the W881's.

My question, I've ordered the scanning directory from ebay (arriving tomorrow) and I'm wondering.... are all the frequency names / descriptions correct?
I'm only asking as I've seen elsewhere online slighty differing names for frequencies??

E.G 133.800 I've seen this named as "Shannon North Atlantic track" but also seen same frequency named "Scottish Control East sector", not sure what it's named as on the directory until I receive it tomorrow.

I'd appreciate any info from you all and any other differing frequency names your aware of.

Speak soon :thumbup:
Dieselguzzler

Re: UK Scanning Directory & Hello

Postby SilverShadow » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:13 pm

Welcome to the forum.

It's listed in the directory as follows...

133.800 MANCHESTER AIRPORT, ATC SUB SECTOR GREATER MANCHESTER AM KimmyJS19 Feb 2016
133.800 SCOTTISH East Area Traffic Control SCOTLAND AM KimmyJS19 Jan 2011

:walkietalkie:
SilverShadow
Site Admin

Postby m0lsx » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:01 pm

Dieselguzzler wrote: I'm only asking as I've seen elsewhere online slightly differing names for frequencies??

Welcome to the forum. As you will know, if you have just ordered it. The scanning directory is cheap. But despite this some people are still sharing old copies around :huh: :huh: The directory is regularly updated, so things do change month to month, but despite this, some people still choose to save pennies & get an old copy.
Buy a database from Kimmy JS19 via http://ukscanningdirectory.co.uk/
Or do Google search of this forum via https://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=partner-pub-6291336405621919:2662881632
73 De Alan (M0LSX.)
http://www.qrz.com/db/M0LSX"
m0lsx

Postby Dieselguzzler » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:23 pm

Thanks for the prompt reply, @SilverShadow am I understanding your reply correctly, from Feb 2016 133.800 changed name to MANCHESTER AIRPORT, ATC SUB SECTOR GREATER MANCHESTER AM.
Dieselguzzler

Postby milly » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:41 pm

Dieselguzzler wrote:Thanks for the prompt reply, @SilverShadow am I understanding your reply correctly, from Feb 2016 133.800 changed name to MANCHESTER AIRPORT, ATC SUB SECTOR GREATER MANCHESTER AM.

No. All that is showing you is what someone has chosen to describe a frequency is in their database and a date at which something about it was 'logged'. The reference to Manchester Airport is not helpful.

To take your example of 133.800 MHz it's callsign is "Scottish Control". It's usage is within a specified three dimensional geographical area and for specified purposes. Pretty much all the practical information you will need about ATC can be found on the NATS website in the official documents pilots are required to use.

In a more general way the frequency could be described as 'Scottish Area Control - South'....but that's just to make it slightly more descriptive and isn't an official name!
milly

Postby Staffs Paul » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:43 pm

milly wrote:The reference to Manchester Airport is not helpful.

I would think Manchester Airport and Scottish Control would both be correct 133.8 was called Manchester Airport Control and then changed to Scottish Control but its antenna relay is still located at Manchester Airport (MAN_E_CTR)
Staffs Paul

Postby milly » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:11 pm

Staffs Paul wrote:I would think Manchester Airport and Scottish Control would both be correct 133.8 was called Manchester Airport Control and then changed to Scottish Control but its antenna relay is still located at Manchester Airport (MAN_E_CTR)

It was NOT called "Manchester Airport Control". Why would you refer to something by the location of a relay? Only one of the relays in it's path at that.

However, the point is that the entry in the database and the name that you or I might use when waffling is something that suits us. It's an arbitrary description in this case and NOT a fixed name that changed on some date in 2011 or 2016

The OP asked "are all the frequency names / descriptions correct? " To keep you happy I'll answer in a different way:

Yes, all of the frequencies names / descriptions are correct - except when they aren't. It's a correct answer but how does it help?
milly

Postby Staffs Paul » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:23 pm

Thats fair enough I was only saying how I understood it.

So there are more scottish control relays on 133.8 other than Manchester? I was not aware of that maybe as manchester is the only airport I visit often and always have 133.8 in when I go as I know they transmit from there and have it as manchester atc
Staffs Paul

Postby m0lsx » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:57 pm

milly wrote: The OP asked "are all the frequency names / descriptions correct? " To keep you happy I'll answer in a different way:

Yes, all of the frequencies names / descriptions are correct - except when they aren't. It's a correct answer but how does it help?

Our very own C E M Joad.. :biggrin: :biggrin:
milly wrote: It all depends on what you mean by…
:biggrin:

J E M Joad use to appear on a show (on radio or TV) decades ago, possibly in the 50's where they debated subjects & Joad's response was often "It depends what you mean by the words....."
Although he had personal issues, such as not paying for rail fares, he was considered by the general public as one of Britains most intelligent men.
So it's not a dig Milly.
Buy a database from Kimmy JS19 via http://ukscanningdirectory.co.uk/
Or do Google search of this forum via https://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=partner-pub-6291336405621919:2662881632
73 De Alan (M0LSX.)
http://www.qrz.com/db/M0LSX"
m0lsx

Postby milly » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:39 pm

Staffs Paul wrote:..... always have 133.8 in when I go as I know they transmit from there and have it as manchester atc

Going off at a slight tangent but it does relate directly to the OP.
I think you are getting confused Paul. Manchester used to have a sub-centre of London Control. In those days it would have made sense to include "Manchester Control" in a description as that was the callsign. The sub-centre housed controllers who worked Airways Control but were nothing to do with Airport Control. Different room and different role entirely. Being based at the airport was a convenience rather than a necessity. The controllers in that room weren't controlling traffic at the airport or in it's airspace.
Whilst the controllers were based there the transmitters weren't. They still don't transmit 133.800 from Manchester Airport.

It's slightly more complicated than this but essentially there are two types of controllers:
Those at an airfield - responsible for the ground and airspace of the airfield. eg. 'Manchester Radar', 'Manchester Approach', 'Manchester Delivery'
Enroute controllers - guide the traffic in airways eg. 'London Control', 'Scottish Control'

As enroute controllers are responsible for a very large area the airspace is further divided into 'sectors'. The sectors within a centre use the same callsign. That might not suit your database or listening method so you might label them to highlight the sector (or area) that the frequency covers, that way each frequency has a unique label. You could use something like "London Control (Talla)" and "London Control (Staffa)". You could just call them by the official sector number but more descriptive labels are easier for most people to remember. Different people will use different labels. The 'Lakes' area in official ATC terms covers the Lake District...probably quite obvious ;-) However, it's not obvious that it covers parts of Wales, Cheshire, Derbyshire and Yorkshire? Perhaps more confusing that 'Lakes' is part of Scottish Control!

So to return to the OP - the 'name' can be whatever you want it to be. Whatever makes it easy for you to understand. If you want to copy someone else's naming then I guess that's fine....but as you've seen from silvershadow's response...two names for exactly the same use of the same frequency can creep in easily.
There will of course be examples were the same frequency will have different 'names because they ARE different uses. An airband example might be:
119.700 - Newcastle Tower
119.700 - Swansea Tower
119.700 - Wick Tower

(I'm not saying these are correct now but they were all valid at the same time in the past and off the top of my head I couldn't think of another example as good)
milly

Next

Return to General Discussion