Smart meters - friend or foe?

Talk about radio and non radio stuff in here, a place for Genral Chit Chat

Smart meters - friend or foe?

Postby m0lsx » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:07 pm

I saw this on Southgate ARC's news site.

Your smart meter could be hacked, your energy held to ransom, its usage monitored to determine the best time to rob your house, or even used by advertisers to determine your favourite TV show.

Director of the Centre for Internet Safety at the University of Canberra Nigel Phair has warned Australian consumers aren't aware of the risks associated with their smart meters.

There are two types of smart meters, 'one-way' or 'two-way' meters:
one way meters simply transmit data back to utility companies.

Two-way meters can be updated to inform savvy consumers on fee changes or allow power companies to cut services at a moment's notice.

Mr Phair said two-way meters had less secure data connections, allowing would-be criminals to hack in.

ActewAGL said there were 3225 two-way smart meters in the ACT, and also that there were no Australian or global standards on security and privacy regarding smart meters and called for more stringent digital security standards.

Canberra Times, WIA

WIA = Wireless Institute of Australia, which is the Australian equivalent of the RSGB.
Buy a database from Kimmy JS19 via http://ukscanningdirectory.co.uk/
Or do Google search of this forum via https://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=partner-pub-6291336405621919:2662881632
73 De Alan (M0LSX.)
http://www.qrz.com/db/M0LSX"
m0lsx

Re: Smart meters - friend or foe?

Postby Nighthawk999 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:23 pm

I won't be having one,partly because of above,but mainly because I don't get estimated bills.I either send SSE readings for gas and electricity when they ask(all done online)or they usually come and read the meters.
Nighthawk999

Re: Smart meters - friend or foe?

Postby Minus1 » Mon May 01, 2017 8:27 am

It worse than that.
How do you suppose the government is going to tax electricity used for the house at a different rate to electricity used for electric cars?

They political establishment hate cars — witness the farce about diesel engines after they encouraged people to buy them.
They are already planning how they can tax us when there are more electric cars than petrol & diesel cars

You think cable companies throttling the internet is bad?
Wait until the government start throttling your electricity because they are too obsessed with 'climate change' hysteria to build sufficient power stations to meet demand.

The fact that they are so keen to promote smart metres without telling us WHY they are so keen, tells you everything you need to know about how much you should trust the government.
I reserve the right to ignore people who have made no attempt to the read the manual, and expect others to do it for them.
Minus1

Return to General Discussion