132.450 music and voice

Talk about radio and non radio stuff in here, a place for Genral Chit Chat

132.450 music and voice

Postby Micky » Tue May 16, 2017 12:56 pm

I am getting what sounds like distorted classical music on 132.450 v and 134.187v both have speech, OK so I am using a Baofeng UV-5R+ what can one expect on such a cheap receiver, a case of buyer beware
Micky

Re: 132.450 music and voice

Postby Minus1 » Wed May 17, 2017 9:01 am

How close are you to an FM broadcast site?
Everything can overload if you are close enough to a powerful transmitter.
I reserve the right to ignore people who have made no attempt to the read the manual, and expect others to do it for them.
Minus1

Postby m0lsx » Wed May 17, 2017 9:17 am

My understanding is that the 5R's will not operate out of band without some serious playing with. So my first thought is...Who played with your radio to get it to work on Airband & what exactly did they do?
Any software that allows the perceived programming of out of band frequencies, simply allows the display to show out of band frequencies.
Buy a database from Kimmy JS19 via http://ukscanningdirectory.co.uk/
Or do Google search of this forum via https://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=partner-pub-6291336405621919:2662881632
73 De Alan (M0LSX.)
http://www.qrz.com/db/M0LSX"
m0lsx

Postby Micky » Wed May 17, 2017 11:04 am

Hi Guys.
First of all surely the 134.450 is a spuri surely I have no idea how far I am from Classic FM, next the Baofeng is brand new it has not been "Got it" it tunes from 65-108 so takes in the worldwide VHF/FM band.
I got it mainly for Eastern block FM I have a dipole cut for that band, not much about apart from I think Hungary and Poland, next it tunes from 130 {booklet say 136-174 so I can get some air band freqs such as 131.175 London Mill East and 134..975 Heathrow also 135.375 London Main Volmets the 136-174 is also a TX/RX range the last range is 400-480 MHz for RX-TX, tuning steps is has them all 2.5-5.0-6.25-10-12.5-25 KHz I hope this clears up your replies, M0LSX you say out of band Where out of band and did I say Full Air Band, if I have missed something ask me another, must get a proper scanner. Stay Tuned.
Micky

Postby m0lsx » Wed May 17, 2017 4:55 pm

Micky. The only reason I brought my 5R is because it covers the Band 2 broadcast band, as at the time I was driving a lot of vehicles that had no broadcast radios fitted & having access to various PMR & Amateur radio frequencies is always handy when out & about.
Regardless of if your 5R covers all of the Air Band or not, the fact it seems to be capable of working there at all is disturbing, as these radios all too often end up in the hands of people with no licence & no way of legally using them any where.
Your radio should only work on 136-174 & 400-480 MHz & no where near the Airband at all. I can personally see many being concerned if these radios work on even part of the Air Band out of the box, especially after last years problems at Cambridge.
Buy a database from Kimmy JS19 via http://ukscanningdirectory.co.uk/
Or do Google search of this forum via https://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=partner-pub-6291336405621919:2662881632
73 De Alan (M0LSX.)
http://www.qrz.com/db/M0LSX"
m0lsx

Postby Micky » Wed May 17, 2017 6:35 pm

I have just done a test and it is Txing at 130 all the way up to 177.800 after 144 she is saying" Careful" or what sounds like that in broken English I also Tx on 156 as have a cabin cruiser took the test for that band, yes that's bad and there flooding the buying market rallies and so on I have one other model that is the same, I wanted two for 445 MHz re at a car boot, partner wandering off I am licenced as a G8 so am responsible. Yes handy for Band 2. you could even put a linear on the output, as you know these have all the tones and about 4 watts out never above that as stated, lots of demos on You Tube.
Micky

Postby Alfie » Wed May 17, 2017 7:33 pm

You should not be txing on it at all and not all across the bands. people on here respect and are protective of this hobby so expect a talking down to. its easy to find you by df and people will especially if you tx on the airband.

Your baofeng is fm. thats why airband is distorted as it should be am
Alfie

Postby Micky » Wed May 17, 2017 8:07 pm

Funny you say I SHOULD NOT BE TXING ON IT {AT ALL} even with my two licence!!!!! as I said HAMS were walking around using them at two recent rallies I went to and these were not young guys and I saw them being sold on many a stall
so please stop being the band police we have had enough of them over the years - did you not here me say I am responsible and never go out of band, IF you do a You Tube your seeing these being tested on a scope and there very clean on OUR bands.
Micky

Don't use that Baofeng Why Not.

Postby Micky » Wed May 17, 2017 8:13 pm

Are you saying I can TX from 130-174 right across this range now that's clever ALL AT THE SAME TIME and I will get A TALKING TOO FOR DOING SO!!!! - or are you saying I should not use them on 6-4-2 meter one channel at a time as your reply reads very strange.
Micky

Postby G4RMT » Wed May 17, 2017 9:54 pm

I think what people are saying is that you seem very cavalier in your attitude to transmitting in bands you shouldn't. Clearly transmitting in FM in the Aircraft band, where even low powers can cover many hundreds of miles is not just illegal, it's potentially dangerous - fair enough, I doubt you caused any issues, but you don't seem to understand radio that much - I'm NOT having a pop, but you're a bit unaware of intermod products, mixing, and rules in general. The radio you have is damn good value for what it does, but as you have found, it's filtering is naff and it may or may not meet the requirements for using it on bands where there are pretty tight standards - like Marine Band, where equipment needs to meet (at the mo) a unified European technical standard. It could meet the standard, but as it's never been tested - we don't know. It's OK for ham bands because there, the onus is on the licensed person to control their spurious output and be technically able to ensure it doesn't cause interference. Clearly your radio is FM only, so it's useless for receiving airband - it might cover a few of the highest frequencies, but FM won't be much use. I cannot imagine it being much use for broadcast DX on 88-108MHz as the receiver is pretty deaf on the broadcast band, and continental DX at that frequency not very common, although summer is coming so that might let you hear a few things. I really can't imagine it's ever going to keep you busy. I guess your distorted music is simply FM wideband sproggies - that appear to be on 134 or so, but really aren't.

I assume you have a Marine Short Range Certificate and an ancient B class license - that oddly would have covered all this stuff, so I'd have expected you to be well aware of the strange mixing you're getting. As you say you are responsible you've been doing the testing on a dummy load of course - but you didn't say that, leaving people to assume you just prodded the TX button.

People on this forum are very protective, and really string minded on principles of what are oj and what are not. They see the hobby eroded by bad operating practices and make often sensible assumptions - which clearly sometimes are wrong, but every club has it's strange ways, and we like ours in the main. Please don't react badly, because it's not personal, but your posts were a little imprecise on some aspects, so like others, I too assumed you were doing things you aren't, so I apologise for leaping to the wrong conclusion.

For what it's worth - the test of your radio on marine band is to attempt to receive channel 0. This frequency is a killer for poor receivers as there is so much interference on that frequency from switch mode PSUs and other dirty kit. My expensive Yaesu in my van can't have ch 0 in a scan pattern as when driving around it always burst onto life with buzzes. My real marine radios - and I have quite a few in hire stock, including a few that do have ch0 in them do not hear the noises. My Baofengs are even worse on ch0, plus data on 153MHz really kills them!
G4RMT

Next

Return to General Discussion