132.450 music and voice

Talk about radio and non radio stuff in here, a place for Genral Chit Chat

Re: 132.450 music and voice

Postby m0lsx » Wed May 17, 2017 10:11 pm

G4RMT wrote:I think what people are saying is that you seem very cavalier in your attitude to transmitting in bands you shouldn't.

Have I misread something?
Micky has never, as far as I can see, said that he was transmitting out of band. My initial posts were about the fact that it was a transceiver & that it was being used on Air Band, where it should never have worked. My next concern was that this 5R worked on Air Band out of the box with no modification.
BUT as far as I can see Micky has never even implied, let alone said he was transmitting.
Buy a database from Kimmy JS19 via http://ukscanningdirectory.co.uk/
Or do Google search of this forum via https://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=partner-pub-6291336405621919:2662881632
73 De Alan (M0LSX.)
http://www.qrz.com/db/M0LSX"
m0lsx

Postby m0lsx » Wed May 17, 2017 10:16 pm

G4RMT wrote: For what it's worth - the test of your radio on marine band is to attempt to receive channel 0. This frequency is a killer for poor receivers as there is so much interference on that frequency from switch mode PSUs and other dirty kit. My expensive Yaesu in my van can't have ch 0 in a scan pattern as when driving around it always burst onto life with buzzes. My real marine radios - and I have quite a few in hire stock, including a few that do have ch0 in them do not hear the noises. My Baofengs are even worse on ch0, plus data on 153MHz really kills them!

I find a lot of radios not designed for Marine Band have sprogs on channel zero. I am not suer if it's a deliberate deigned in safety feature, or just to do with the IF, mixer that is used on non marine radios. But I have at least 3 radios where even in a metal box with the antenna removed, I get a big noise spike on channel zero.
Buy a database from Kimmy JS19 via http://ukscanningdirectory.co.uk/
Or do Google search of this forum via https://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=partner-pub-6291336405621919:2662881632
73 De Alan (M0LSX.)
http://www.qrz.com/db/M0LSX"
m0lsx

Postby Micky » Wed May 17, 2017 10:55 pm

Phew that was long - and yes into a dummy load, as to only FM that's what IT is, as to all paperwork and bum sitting tests I have done all and have that, OK I did not make myself clear re my test what I was saying is it is cheap and being obtained BY HAMS who are using them both walking around rallies and mobile, as for marine radios I have two a handheld on a mobile on my boat, I am not going on and on with this I seem to have got you lot very confused, I only really came to the group because I was given a JIL SX 200 and I compared it with the Baofeng, as to Dxing with the Baofeng it will be interesting, I do have a OIRT receiver that is a domestic bit of kit I mainly use that, I am ending things here as I am passing the JIL SX 200 onto a scanner collector. NO a fence taken and I hope not given, as even I was confused by some come back comments. Tuning Off.
Micky

Postby Micky » Wed May 17, 2017 11:05 pm

- Have I missed something gentleman - YOU are so right I NEVER said I was transmitting with it on ANY Band just dummy load testing so thank you my friend, BUT I have seen as I said other HAMS using them FOR transmitting, I see no problem using them on the licence free bands DO YOU unless that UHF band really travels far - how far is the question, these little radio as the van man said make good receivers on band 2 but to end this it is always as the nice man said - read what I said - not what I did not say or do. rant over if it was that, like all groups its words without a voice, that's the nature of this beast also has no face.
Micky

Postby USAFE501 » Thu May 18, 2017 3:52 am

Micky,
Hope this isn't a stupid question/comment but did you ever find out where the music was coming from ?
I started reading the replies but they seemed to tangent off in a different direction.....

The reason I ask is few years back I was scanning through UHF bands and the radio stopped on 452.550mhz at the time was local Police PMR's, however it wasn't Police traffic but Brixham Harbour in the 156 mhz range !!
I live in Hertfordshire so some distance from Brixham and was I really listening to an image AND propagation ? I got the phone number for Brixham Coastguard.Harbour Master and confirmed the name of the boat I had heard, he was also confused how a 156 mhz ended up on a 452mhz channel..The scanner wasn't faulty (It was a AOR 2000 handheld with a discone attached )

I've had some scanners that were awful with overload and breakthrough in the airband allocation, just as bad as having Spanish fishermen allover our old 70 mhz am Fire Channel whilst sitting on the Fire Engine waiting for Fire Control to tell us our next shout !!!

BTW, I have 3 UV 5R radios all from brand new and they all seem to vary on what they cover...one of mine does cover portion of airband from about 130.200 mhz.
Bet you didn't expect the replies you got on here did you ?

Kev :thumbup:
USAFE501

Postby G4RMT » Thu May 18, 2017 9:06 am

That's usual for us! I was just programming up a set of radios going out today and two of them, sitting on the bench have a nasty noise - coming from, I discovered, a guitar processor in my studio next door. Out of a dozen radio, two get the interference and I could follow it to the source. The others, with squelch open hear nothing! All the same make (Kenwood) all the same model! Very odd. Just for fun, remembering this topic, I took a baofeng off the shelf, stuck the frequency in, and it's silent!
G4RMT

Postby Micky » Sat May 20, 2017 7:26 am

Hi Guys - and Girls.
As you have discovered known brands of radios, be it Kenwood - Yaesu and so on can have problems with overload - spuri signals and so on.
I miss my Yaesu FT 727 I called it my Hammer as it was heavy for a handheld and it was expanded could not get the batteries packs and one refill in the USA was costly so it had to go, before it went I used it as a base station on 2m.
I used it in Oz land - USA and here in the UK, but here we are taking taking scanners out of the hams bands, fire police and whatever.
You see so many mods on Mods.DK and Rig Pic, plus take on EHam, but I like to take as is and it is pleasing to hear that the Baofeng brand is holding its own, some owners handbooks even tell you were the problems are, anyway up, from me the subject is closed as to transmitting out of band.
I was very surprised by the response I did not fell jumped on at all.
I have posted a WANTED don't know if it will ever be seen requesting a cheap scanner up to £70.00 pref pre owned even a early digital model - in my dreams at this OAP price range, anyway I am reading the post and liking the group.
Micky

Previous

Return to General Discussion