Scanning Ethics

Talk about radio and non radio stuff in here, a place for Genral Chit Chat

Scanning Ethics

Postby essexRXer » Sat May 27, 2017 10:17 am

In the context of recent events regarding terror threat levels etc ; what could you do if you felt that you had found a frequency or a pager message that may be nefarious? (I have not)

I thought about this for a while and wondered if these are monitored by known scanners in each area that may have a blind eye turned to them, or is it the case that by the time is on the air they are known to the authorities already?

-purely hypothetical of course.
essexRXer

Re: Scanning Ethics

Postby m0lsx » Sat May 27, 2017 12:00 pm

Several years ago, maybe about 10. It happened in France.
I believe it was close to Paris Airport & it was reported & dealt with quietly. It was only after the event that anyone found out about it.
I have personally passed on details of someone asking for details of certain users & frequencies via email. I am by nature cautious, especially when someone is asking for American frequencies & should know I am English. So I checked the IP before replying. And please feel free to call me over sensitive, but an IP address that says middle eastern cyber cafe when the sender of the email says America, just feels a little wrong to me.
Buy a database from Kimmy JS19 via http://ukscanningdirectory.co.uk/
Or do Google search of this forum via https://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=partner-pub-6291336405621919:2662881632
73 De Alan (M0LSX.)
http://www.qrz.com/db/M0LSX"
m0lsx

Postby essexRXer » Sat May 27, 2017 12:08 pm

m0lsx wrote:Several years ago, maybe about 10. It happened in France.
I believe it was close to Paris Airport & it was reported & dealt with quietly. It was only after the event that anyone found out about it.
I have personally passed on details of someone asking for details of certain users & frequencies via email. I am by nature cautious, especially when someone is asking for American frequencies & should know I am English. So I checked the IP before replying. And please feel free to call me over sensitive, but an IP address that says middle eastern cyber cafe when the sender of the email says America, just feels a little wrong to me.

Who would take your initial call if you were concerned? I suspect 101 would not have the foggiest about what we are on about!
essexRXer

Postby m0lsx » Sat May 27, 2017 12:43 pm

Several years ago my wife was hit from the rear by a Taxi that did not stop, as she rode her motorbike around a roundabout on her way home from work. She phoned the Police & reported it & it was basically thank you for reporting it, but as it was Taxi & if you did not get it's number, then there is nothing we can do. HOWEVER...As you have phoned us about a Road Traffic Accident, we need to take your details, check your bike is road worthy, insured etc etc & we need to breathalyse YOU..
So I would take GREAT care if reporting anything that involves scanning to the Police as they are very likely to see you as an easy prosecution or as an issue rather than as a helpful member of the public.
Also do not forget that this individual who bombed Manchester last week was reported by a Mosque several times with no response. So reporting to the Police is not always the best path.
Buy a database from Kimmy JS19 via http://ukscanningdirectory.co.uk/
Or do Google search of this forum via https://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=partner-pub-6291336405621919:2662881632
73 De Alan (M0LSX.)
http://www.qrz.com/db/M0LSX"
m0lsx

Postby Metradio » Sat May 27, 2017 4:41 pm

m0lsx wrote:..... there is nothing we can do. HOWEVER...As you have phoned us about a Road Traffic Accident, we need to take your details....

Wife had same problem when she reported some scrote had nicked her hub caps, they gave her a 7 day producer for the insurance :sad:

Mike
Connect Systems CS750 and CS800, Hytera PD-365, Motorola DP4600.
Raspberry Pi 2 and DV4Mini HotSpot.
AOR AR-DV1 Digital Voice Receiver / eSPY on ARD.
WS1088 / TRX-1 / Whistler Q /UBCD3600XLT / WTR Browser.
Metradio

Postby Minus1 » Sun May 28, 2017 9:34 am

When the authorities are incapable of catching a known terrorist suspect, who has been reported multiple times, who has been to Syria and Libya; why do you think they would be capable of getting off their arse and tracking a radio transmission? :rolleyes:
I reserve the right to ignore people who have made no attempt to the read the manual, and expect others to do it for them.
Minus1

Postby essexRXer » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:52 pm

Minus1 wrote:When the authorities are incapable of catching a known terrorist suspect, who has been reported multiple times, who has been to Syria and Libya; why do you think they would be capable of getting off their arse and tracking a radio transmission? :rolleyes:

I cannot add much to this sentiment. :smiles:
However I would not mind doing my bit, if I were to be permitted to spot this sort of thing... but there again could be a tad Soviet, informing/snooping on neighbours as the trivial get reported as the privileges gets abused.

Yes, scrub that idea :huh:
essexRXer

Postby JGR » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:46 pm

I know it may help the authorities, but sometimes they are beyond help and will as was stated come down on us as we are an easy catch and we are breaking the law in the first instance!
Sad state of affairs and I would hate to have to turn a blind eye that caused loss of life but I think that is what has be done. :sneer:
John 2E0JGR CMH (clinical master hypnotist)
JGR

Postby G4RMT » Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:45 pm

If I overheard anything that smacked of the kinds of terrible things going on, then I'd dial 999 immediately. Could anyone with prior knowledge of something like this NOT pass it on? I'd hope not, and if something then happened, I'm not sure I could live with that, knowing I might have been able to do something.
G4RMT

Postby mark99 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:58 pm

m0lsx wrote:I have personally passed on details of someone asking for details of certain users & frequencies via email.

So you are a police informant ?
Well done, I am sure the people in on the scanning board are grateful you have revealed yourself.
mark99

Next

Return to General Discussion