Scanning Ethics

Talk about radio and non radio stuff in here, a place for Genral Chit Chat

Re: Scanning Ethics

Postby Nighthawk999 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:33 pm

mark99 wrote:

So you are a police informant ?
Well done, I am sure the people in on the scanning board are grateful you have revealed yourself.

Maybe I'm missing something here,but just what,exactly,has this added to the thread??
I'm a member of several forums and see far too much personal sniping going on,I really hope this forum isn't going the same way!
Nighthawk999

Postby stanogs68 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:08 pm

mark99 wrote:
m0lsx wrote:I have personally passed on details of someone asking for details of certain users & frequencies via email.

Well done, I am sure the people in on the scanning board are grateful you have revealed yourself.

hahahaha love it :walkietalkie:
stanogs68

Postby stanogs68 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:10 pm

Nighthawk999 wrote:
mark99 wrote:

Maybe I'm missing something here,but just what,exactly,has this added to the thread??
I'm a member of several forums and see far too much personal sniping going on,I really hope this forum isn't going the same way!

night hawk are you a police officer because your name has 999 on it ?
stanogs68

Postby thelad » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:21 pm

mark99 wrote:
m0lsx wrote:I have personally passed on details of someone asking for details of certain users & frequencies via email.

Doesn't bother me as i have nothing to hide, Do you?
thelad

Postby G4RMT » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:01 pm

Let's extend this a bit. I like listening to loads of stuff on the radio. No idea why I find it interesting hearing messages about people's steaks being too well done for well done, or relieved voices when the motorcycle trainees didn't get flattened by the bus they didn't see coming but the instructor did. I like hearing very mundane messages from airplanes, boring stuff from ships and the occasional very interesting bots and pieces. Now we cannot listen to the Police. Fire and Ambulance traffic, it's a lot duller - but still interesting enough - but if I heard somebody clearly outside a bank, waiting to rob it, or drug dealers, or gangs or worse (thinking of last night's activities in London), I'd shop them without a moments hesitation. That's what responsible people do. I treat scanning and illegal listening as the same type of 'crime' as doing 75 on the motorway, or those cross the line accidents where I live happily with the result. PMR446 with a legit radio or a baofeng? It isn't going to get me worked up - but we all have a line that you don't cross. I guess our lines are all in different places, but when crossed, we do what we have to do.
G4RMT

Postby m0lsx » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:13 pm

mark99 wrote:

So where did I say I passed details onto the Police? Such a claim is not backed up by what I posted.
Why would I contact "The Police," when I knew the email was from abroad & the questions were about American frequencies?
If you want to accuse me of something at least have your facts right.
The facts are..
Some time ago someone contacted me directly via email. It was not via a forum. That is why I was able to find the IP of the sender.
The email proclaimed to be from an American sender & was asking for details about American users, yet emailed me at a UK email address!!
The email was not typical of anything I have seen by a scanner enthusiast. It felt wrong & I did wonder if it was some kind of stupid joke.
So I did what I often do with spam emails. I checked the IP of the sender & saw it was from a source no where near the USA.
I contacted someone I know & discussed it with him. I then replied to the person who was asking me for details & told them the truth. I was not the right person to answer their questions, as I lived in the UK, but that I do have friends involved in all sorts of radio in the USA & this email address will contact you & try & help you.
The person I contacted in the USA is not in the Police or any other form of law enforcement & has never been.
Buy a database from Kimmy JS19 via http://ukscanningdirectory.co.uk/
Or do Google search of this forum via https://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=partner-pub-6291336405621919:2662881632
73 De Alan (M0LSX.)
http://www.qrz.com/db/M0LSX"
m0lsx

Postby Nighthawk999 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:54 pm

stanogs68 wrote:

night hawk are you a police officer because your name has 999 on it ?

Nope
Nighthawk999

Postby Nighthawk999 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:36 pm

In a similar way to most scanner owners,I listen to all sorts on my 125,from the local shopwatch scheme to both mil and civi airband etc etc.
Last Sunday I was at the Tall Ships Festival in Gloucester Docks and was listening in to the event/security staff all day on a PMR hire channel.Why?Because having done similar work over the years,it interests me.There were a couple of incidents involving trouble-makers,so being able to hear the staff reporting them,enabled me to ensure I was nowhere near to those incidents.

There were a large number of coaches attending,all on timed slots for arrivals and departures at The Quays shopping complex,walking through to get to the docks.Subsequently there were crowds of people afterwards waiting for their coaches to be called.Three traffic marshals organising it all very efficiently,and I was listening in to their radios,and so found out in advance when my particular coach was being called up from a holding area somewhere close by.
After five hours on a very hot day at the event,it was pleasing to hear that it was on it's way.
Nighthawk999

Postby stanogs68 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:07 pm

m0lsx wrote:
mark99 wrote:

So where did I say I passed details onto the Police? Such a claim is not backed up by what I posted.
Why would I contact "The Police," when I knew the email was from abroad & the questions were about American frequencies?
If you want to accuse me of something at least have your facts right.
The facts are..
Some time ago someone contacted me directly via email. It was not via a forum. That is why I was able to find the IP of the sender.
The email proclaimed to be from an American sender & was asking for details about American users, yet emailed me at a UK email address!!
The email was not typical of anything I have seen by a scanner enthusiast. It felt wrong & I did wonder if it was some kind of stupid joke.
So I did what I often do with spam emails. I checked the IP of the sender & saw it was from a source no where near the USA.
I contacted someone I know & discussed it with him. I then replied to the person who was asking me for details & told them the truth. I was not the right person to answer their questions, as I lived in the UK, but that I do have friends involved in all sorts of radio in the USA & this email address will contact you & try & help you.
The person I contacted in the USA is not in the Police or any other form of law enforcement & has never been.

thats not what you said, you said you informed the police on someone :shocker:
stanogs68

Postby m0lsx » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:21 pm

stanogs68 wrote: thats not what you said, you said you informed the police on someone :shocker:

If you go back to page one of this thread you will see that on post number 2 of this thread I wrote...

m0lsx wrote: I have personally passed on details of someone asking for details of certain users & frequencies via email. I am by nature cautious, especially when someone is asking for American frequencies & should know I am English. So I checked the IP before replying. And please feel free to call me over sensitive, but an IP address that says middle eastern cyber cafe when the sender of the email says America, just feels a little wrong to me.

No use of the word Police. Mostly because it was defiantly NOT who I made contact with.
Think about it, why would the Police be interested in someone from a Middle Eastern Country asking about American frequencies?
Buy a database from Kimmy JS19 via http://ukscanningdirectory.co.uk/
Or do Google search of this forum via https://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=partner-pub-6291336405621919:2662881632
73 De Alan (M0LSX.)
http://www.qrz.com/db/M0LSX"
m0lsx

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion