Got the CD, So how to programme my scanner??

Talk about radio and non radio stuff in here, a place for Genral Chit Chat

Got the CD, So how to programme my scanner??

Postby Jim1974 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:24 am

Hi I have got a Uniden 125, the scan control and conversion software, and that CD full of stuff from our forum sponsors.

When I ordered the CD, I saw it had "lots of text files containing all the frequencies you will ever need, regularly updated".

Great I thought - they will either be XLS files, or as a bare minimum, surely they will be CSV so easy to import into Excel to sort, filter the data into areas etc.

Doh!

Whilst i cannot really complain, I seem to have received exactly as advertised - a whole bunch of .txt files with some very useful information within, but thats it.

Text files as per Olde Worlde MS DOS type stuff, no CSV, no sorting, no headers - they don't even follow the same formats as you scroll down each file, so you can't even import them into a spreadsheet easily using the column import techniques.

There doesn't even seem to be any easy common way to delimit the data to enable it to be imported.

Before I embark on this rather big task, does anyone already have this done, or have a solution to the problem. ?

All i want to do it add the tags to my scanner for my area (south ish UK) to see who's online.
Jim1974

Re: Got the CD, So how to programme my scanner??

Postby m0lsx » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:20 am

Hi.
You really do not want to download someone elses database onto your scanner, unless it is something like an amateur radio repeater, airband, marine band or similar database. And even then I recommend looking at that list & not just assuming it's exactly what you want.
The reason being with scanning, what you can or cannot hear will often be different from what someone even a few hundred yards away can hear.
There are so many different factors to take into account when it comes to what you can or cannot hear that a database is a very personal thing.
The more frequencies that you have programmed, then in reality the less you hear. As most overs, that is one side of a conversation, are over really quickly. So even adding in a handful of unwanted frequencies will effect what you do or do not hear. The reality is unwanted channels will cost you listening time as you scanner scans through frequencies that you do not stand a chance of hearing.
My out & about scanner has blocks of frequencies that I switch on & off, depending on where I am. And even my home scanner has a few I switch in & out as I do not want seasonal users active all year round.
Go through the database & look for what you want to hear. Program it in & see if you can, but remove it if you cannot. And add to that through your own band scans. As without band scans you will never find what you can or cannot hear.
Personally I find the main uses of a database is to allow me to quickly & easily identify what I find. And also to allow me to find new frequencies that I may not have logged as I do not band scan all the bands & those I do, I don't scan that regularly.
There really is no short cut to building your own database. By all means upload piles of other peoples logs, but be prepared for disappointment & a short lived hobby.
Finding a frequencies new to you, is very much like catching a rare fish is to a keen fisherman. Or a rare bird is to a twitcher. Scanning is about finding frequencies & logging them. It is not like watching TV where you input the channels & then just flick through them.
On my base scanner I have around 500 channels programmed in & I do not listen to amateur radio repeaters or Taxi companies. So on a Sunday evening I can go for half an hour without getting a hit, as even the airband frequencies I listen togo queit then & I have a lot of inactive frequencies to pile through for a few potentially active frequencies.

Edited to add. Build your database slowly & fill it with what you want to hear, from what you can hear. As a database is like a PC. Download the wrong program, like say Norton anti virus & it will do it's job, sort of. But expect it slow things down dramatically & even probably spoil your experience with all the unwanted bloat.
Buy a database from Kimmy JS19 via http://ukscanningdirectory.co.uk/
Or do Google search of this forum via https://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=partner-pub-6291336405621919:2662881632
73 De Alan (M0LSX.)
http://www.qrz.com/db/M0LSX"
m0lsx

Postby Jim1974 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:32 am

Yes, appreciate all of the above, and totally agree.

However, I still want to take the text file, and use this to alpha tag the ranges in my scanner.

If I am out and about and I hear 123.456 - the scanner will indicate on the display who it may be.

It can’t be that hard to do surely ?
Jim1974

Postby Scan125 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:47 am

I keep on meaning to write do what you are looking to do but Scan125 keeps me too busy.

From what I recall from my CD the text files are generally formatted in logical columns. Sadly not all the same as it appears that the data is created by multiple contributors each doing their own presentation of the data. Actually quite a poor non professional IMHO.

However you can get the data into csv format with an editor that supports column editing whereby you replace " " (5 spaces, n spaces, etc) with a "," .

Notepad++ supports column mode editing and it is free. There are others as well.
Scan125

Postby G4RMT » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:02 pm

While CSV files sound sensible, you still end up having to do loads of editing - whatever the format because we all want different things - so reformatting is kind of how it works for everyone.

The worst one was the old OFCOM frequency database - that was totally horrible to split out and make usable.
G4RMT

Postby Scan125 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:17 pm

XML is probably the best and most universal format for handling this type of data :mrgreeny:
Scan125

Postby m0lsx » Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:41 pm

There are over 80,000 separate logs on the directory. It will probably take more time to edit it for the few frequencies wanted than to enter them manually or cut & paste what you want from one format to another.
Buy a database from Kimmy JS19 via http://ukscanningdirectory.co.uk/
Or do Google search of this forum via https://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=partner-pub-6291336405621919:2662881632
73 De Alan (M0LSX.)
http://www.qrz.com/db/M0LSX"
m0lsx

Postby alpha_india » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:30 pm

Jim1974 wrote:Whilst i cannot really complain, I seem to have received exactly as advertised - a whole bunch of .txt files with some very useful information within, but thats it.

Text files as per Olde Worlde MS DOS type stuff, no CSV, no sorting, no headers - they don't even follow the same formats as you scroll down each file, so you can't even import them into a spreadsheet easily using the column import techniques.

There doesn't even seem to be any easy common way to delimit the data to enable it to be imported.

Before I embark on this rather big task, does anyone already have this done, or have a solution to the problem. ?

There is a useful format for saving frequency data for uploading to the Uniden 125, it's the format used by Nick's Scan125 software.

But the major limitation is the capacity and structure of the memory system used in the Uniden 125. If you've got 80,000 lines of frequency data you need a means of selecting which you want to upload and structure those entries into the banks you want to fill.

The good news is that there's already a half-built solution that uses MS Excel and generates _part.txt files for Scan125 to upload to the Uniden 125. The bad news is that it needs the data to be already in a consistent format - but it's a very simple format (CSV, three columns "Frequency", "Modulation", "Alphatag"). Could it handle 80,000 lines of data? - Yes, but it would take a bit of head-scratching to figure out how to allocate to the memory banks from one long list.

G4RMT wrote:While CSV files sound sensible, you still end up having to do loads of editing - whatever the format because we all want different things - so reformatting is kind of how it works for everyone.

Nope, disagree entirely. As long as there's a consistent format in the source and the data is clean (no extraneous text) it's very easy (and usually very quick) to rearrange data into the format you need. There's nothing wrong with CSV files, they're perfect for structuring data in an easy to rearrange format.

Format inconsistency is the mark of very poor quality data.
alpha_india

Return to General Discussion