PDW software for decoding paging

Talk about radio and non radio stuff in here, a place for Genral Chit Chat

PDW software for decoding paging

Postby MACKEMchris » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:02 pm

Has anyone tried this using the pdw software? I'm trying to do it through my baofeng and pc.
MACKEMchris
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:08 pm

Re: PDW software for decoding paging

Postby milly » Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:01 am

Yes.

Not with the radio you mention though
milly
 
Posts: 319
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:59 am

Re: PDW software for decoding paging

Postby MACKEMchris » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:42 am

Had it working few days ago but now it won't the dial goes up but I've heard it's alot to do with the volume settings ?
MACKEMchris
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:08 pm

Re: PDW software for decoding paging

Postby milly » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:29 am

It is somewhat fussy about volume and finding the sweet spot can be time consuming. Once that is done it is usually fairly reliable. Two of the National UK frequencies seem to be fairly poor quality transmissions nowadays - one pretty much nationally and the other in a more regional way (from our Hampshire office I get good decodes but from our Lancashire one I get almost none).
The R820T dongles make excellent pager receivers and allow multiple frequencies to be monitored at once.
milly
 
Posts: 319
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:59 am

Re: PDW software for decoding paging

Postby essexRXer » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:30 pm

You need to be running a discriminator tap for the sound quality,without one you need to be altering the sound input levels & the volume of the radio. the signal quality should be perfect even with a damp length of string at 153 mhz :thumbup:
User avatar
essexRXer
 
Posts: 170
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:04 pm
Location: Essex seaside

Re: PDW software for decoding paging

Postby MACKEMchris » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:26 pm

milly wrote:It is somewhat fussy about volume and finding the sweet spot can be time consuming. Once that is done it is usually fairly reliable. Two of the National UK frequencies seem to be fairly poor quality transmissions nowadays - one pretty much nationally and the other in a more regional way (from our Hampshire office I get good decodes but from our Lancashire one I get almost none).
The R820T dongles make excellent pager receivers and allow multiple frequencies to be monitored at once.


I've just purchased one of these dongles I'm using VB cable and PDW had a few messages come through but there's a yellow triangle next to the PDW dial needle and "35%" is this a signal problem? Cheers
MACKEMchris
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:08 pm

Re: PDW software for decoding paging

Postby Johan Beck » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:34 pm

Johan Beck
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:12 pm
Location: Scheveningen

Re: PDW software for decoding paging

Postby milly » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:58 pm

MACKEMchris wrote:I've just purchased one of these dongles I'm using VB cable and PDW had a few messages come through but there's a yellow triangle next to the PDW dial needle and "35%" is this a signal problem? Cheers


Ensure that the signal is centred correctly and only use the bandwidth necessary. If using software such as sdrsharp turn off any audio filtering. Do not turn the gain to full (probably 3/4 of its range is sufficient but there are guides out there that show you how to adjust it correctly). Once that's all done then adjust the audio level to get the best decodes. As for the yellow triangle and meter ...I never found them useful...my version doesn't have them
milly
 
Posts: 319
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:59 am

Re: PDW software for decoding paging

Postby MACKEMchris » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:16 pm

milly wrote:
MACKEMchris wrote:I've just purchased one of these dongles I'm using VB cable and PDW had a few messages come through but there's a yellow triangle next to the PDW dial needle and "35%" is this a signal problem? Cheers


Ensure that the signal is centred correctly and only use the bandwidth necessary. If using software such as sdrsharp turn off any audio filtering. Do not turn the gain to full (probably 3/4 of its range is sufficient but there are guides out there that show you how to adjust it correctly). Once that's all done then adjust the audio level to get the best decodes. As for the yellow triangle and meter ...I never found them useful...my version doesn't have them



Finally!!!! After tinkering with the rf gain, and changing the sample rate the dial shot up to 90% and messages ain't stopp3d since!
MACKEMchris
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:08 pm

Re: PDW software for decoding paging

Postby mark99 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:01 pm

Just dont post any here, the last idiot got his door sledgehammered at 6AM
mark99
 
Posts: 59
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 2:16 pm

Next

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests