Tried SDR?

Talk about radio and non radio stuff in here, a place for Genral Chit Chat

Re: Tried SDR?

Postby G4RMT » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:35 pm

I have 3 dongles - they all seem to drift - and to get accurate frequencies, offsets have to be applied - sometimes randomly. This morning, it needed a plus 15 in the box to be on frequency on UHF, but after a computer restart this afternoon - 15 was not enough - 28 to get the thing locked on again. Any idea why this is - Odd things happen too with the display vs gain - a display that has the noise floor at the bottom, and a peak from mega strong signals just below the top - becomes different on a reboot - this time the noise floor has vanished off the bottom. With tweaking you can restore it - but it's a pain.
G4RMT

Postby deadite66 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:58 am

most of these dongles were designed for DVB-T, they tend to drift as they warm up.
the rtlsdr v3 dongle has a temperature compensated oscillator (TCXO) so shouldn't drift much.
Airspy R2 on a Discone
rtlsdr v3 on a choc bloc copper dipole.
SDRPlay RSP2 Pro on a Scanmaster B1300-N
Yupiteru MVT-9000 MKII telescopic ant.
Adalm Pluto (hacked for 70MHz-6GHz)
deadite66

Postby Scan125 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:18 am

Another big advantage of quality traditional hardware receivers with SDR capability is frequency stability. My Alinco DX-R8 has it's frequency stability based around a temperature controlled oven and frequency stability is +/- 1ppm. An ICOM IC-R9500 is +/- 0.05ppm :shocker:
Scan125

Postby lhuchison » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:22 pm

Could never afford one but I wonder when the icom 8600 is due for release in the uk? Theres an option to put a deposit down on most of the uk suppliers but still no word on release dates.
Id love one if I had that sort of spare cash or credit card? laying about!
Icom IC-R8500 + SDRplay + Diamond discone
bhi DSP noise cancellation speaker . 10 meter long wire . 9-1 balun, Howes CTU9 ATU
lhuchison

Previous

Return to General Discussion