Beware of scammers.

Talk about radio and non radio stuff in here, a place for Genral Chit Chat

Beware of scammers.

Postby Wiggy » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:31 pm

Hi peeps, i put an advert on gumtree a while back, looking for a AOR AR-DV1. I didnt and still dont think i'll find a real one going for sale on there but ive had a few people offer me one, usually for around £700-800, but after a few emails they all say the same rubbish and send the same pics and then say send half the money and pay the rest when the scanner arrives [yeah right] ...
Today i had an email from someone who says they have one for £200-300 and after saying he doesnt know how to send pictures he then says out of nowhere, you can send half now and the rest when it arrives... I know they are all scammers and i usually wait til they give me their bank details then i just either ignore them, say i dont want it or pretend ive sent the money and then they vanish. So just beware of these god damn scamming scum trying to con decent people... ive reported a few on Gumtree but they just delete the account and a few minutes later they sign up with a new account and carry on...
Wiggy

Re: Beware of scammers.

Postby Wiggy » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:10 pm

Poor old Harry Pike
Heres what happened upto now..

You have received a reply to your ad: "AOR AR-DV1 Wanted" posted in Miscellaneous Stuff Wanted in "St Helens" .

Heya I've got one you could have for around 250/300. Thanks

As soon as he says 250/300 for a AOR AR-DV1 i knew it was a scammer so its time to play along..

Me - where are you?

Him - I'm in Devon.

Me - how would i get it?

Him - I could send it to you if collection isn't possible. You could pay half then half once arrived?

Me - how do i pay and where do i send it?

Him - Can you do a transfer? I'd usually prefer full payment upfront as I don't know you etc but I trust you'll pay upon arrival

Him - I have another suggestion. Why don't you post the money
That way you'll know my address for your security etc. I think it's quite a good idea! What's your thoughts

Me - Yeah thats fine (as if)

Him - Hey mate address for the cash to be send to is
10 wolsey house
queenswood avenue
Hampton.
London
Tw123at

Its my mums address.. Cheers mate can you confirm if your sending 1st class or? Also try not to do recorded as someone won't be in to sign for it mate so It will just have to be a standard 1st class stamp.

So Harry Pike will be thinking hes getting £275 in cash in the next 24 hours, maybe i should sign up to loads of rubbish using the address he gave and they can have something to look forward to dropping through the post..

Also.. Nice postcode, just right for scammers.
Wiggy

Postby Nighthawk999 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:57 pm

Well done for alerting everyone to this scam,but did you really need to add the 2nd post??
Nighthawk999

Postby Wiggy » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:48 pm

I suppose i didnt need to but i thought it might show what these people say to try and con someone, so if someone gets something similar they would be aware and not get scammed...
Wiggy

Postby Mick Aitch » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:04 pm

Thanks, Wiggy. It's always worth reminding people of the low-life out there.

Luckily the only time I was scammed was on eBay who, along with PayPal, swiftly sorted out a refund for me. Whether the scammer succeeded in getting anything I don't know. Gumtree is another environment entirely so I stick to local deals where I can see, touch and pay cash.

Cheers
Mostly SWling.
Realistic DX-394 + mods.
Tecsun PL310 ET
Tecsun PL880
Uniden UBC125XLT
Mick Aitch

Postby Nighthawk999 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:45 pm

Wiggy wrote:I suppose i didnt need to but i thought it might show what these people say to try and con someone, so if someone gets something similar they would be aware and not get scammed...

Fair comment,I too only buy stuff online from ebay..not the auction part though..just from actual shops on there,not individuals.Touch wood there's been no problems up to now.
As Mick Aitch said,Paypal gives you a lot of protection with sorting out refunds.
Nighthawk999

Postby BlackKnight_UK » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:59 am

Paypal are better now than they used to be. I "bought" a Nintendo Wii on Ebay from someone who, it turned out, didn't have a Nintendo Wii - this was when they first came out. Paypal would only refund 90% of the total paid.

Fortunately, in my case, the same scammer "sold" a few, and we all got together and took him to court and got our full refunds.

Wiggy, in your case, send him a bunch of tenner sized pieces of paper with "Scammer" printed on!
BlackKnight_UK

Postby Nighthawk999 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:18 pm

BlackKnight_UK wrote:Paypal are better now than they used to be. I "bought" a Nintendo Wii on Ebay from someone who, it turned out, didn't have a Nintendo Wii - this was when they first came out. Paypal would only refund 90% of the total paid.

Fortunately, in my case, the same scammer "sold" a few, and we all got together and took him to court and got our full refunds.

Wiggy, in your case, send him a bunch of tenner sized pieces of paper with "Scammer" printed on!

I agree about PayPal being better,eBay too is much more user-friendly than it used to be a few years ago.Their"Click and collect"service is very handy for larger stuff like clothing,not having to be around for the delivery is ideal for me.
Nighthawk999

Postby m0lsx » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:54 pm

If people are licensed another good way to reduce the issue of scammers is to use one of the amateur radio sales sites, like Radio Classifieds or Ham Radio Deals. Only people with verified callsigns are permitted on site & although it's not totally safe it does reduce risks to a minimum.
Also if anyone wants a good, but risky site, the G3CWI's flea market is good. But TAKE CARE, it attracts lots of scammers. But it also produces lots of good & genuine offers.

G3CWI's site. G3CWI is the amateur behind Sota Beams
http://pub29.bravenet.com/classified/show.php?usernum=2477864602

Ham radio Deals.
http://www.hamradiodeals.co.uk/forums/index.php

Radio Classifieds.
http://www.radioclassifieds.co.uk/forum/index.php
Buy a database from Kimmy JS19 via http://ukscanningdirectory.co.uk/
Or do Google search of this forum via https://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=partner-pub-6291336405621919:2662881632
73 De Alan (M0LSX.)
http://www.qrz.com/db/M0LSX"
m0lsx

Return to General Discussion