logging software ??

Talk about radio and non radio stuff in here, a place for Genral Chit Chat

logging software ??

Postby bigpimp347 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:00 am

who remembers the frequency scanning logging software from 20 years ago ??

dead simple, input frequency, comments like police, fire etc and it sorted it out numerically or alphanumeric..

anyone know of something simila rout there ??
just want to type them in as i hear them and edit the user/description as and when i find out what it is..

i might have to dig my old HRT free disk's out the box see if it was in there..
bigpimp347

Re: logging software ??

Postby Scan125 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:05 pm

20 years ago people wrote stuff like this because buying a spread sheet program like MS Excel was very expensive.

Today, for SIMPLE logging there are free office spread sheet programs that allow columns/data to be formatted as tables thus allowing frequency, modulation, nag tags, comments to be entered, edited and sorted. The data can then be exported to a CSV file that other scanner control programs can read to program the scanner.

For more complex/complete logging programs full of other features then you can start looking here: http://www.dxzone.com/catalog/Software/Logging/
Scan125

Re: logging software ??

Postby alpha_india » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:11 pm

Very easily done with Excel or Google Docs.

But this ties into the other discussion about the general lack of advancement in scanner technology. You might generate such a log, but what do you do with it?

With an Excel sheet, Scan125 and a Uniden UBC125 you can use this to manage your scanner and the stored frequencies, but with most other devices you're limited benefit is in streamlining the manual entry of frequencies into the scanner.
alpha_india

Return to General Discussion