NEW HANDHELD SCANNER

Talk about radio and non radio stuff in here, a place for Genral Chit Chat

NEW HANDHELD SCANNER

Postby STIRLING15 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:41 am

Hello All,
First post on this forum so please bear with me, I currently have a Yupeteru MVT7100 and it is now getting a little old and worn. It is as I understand going to be of little use when the 8.33 comes into force. I therefore have been looking at new options but as I have been out of the game for a while but now following my retirement seem to have time on my hands. Any advice on what to get would be most welcome, I have been following the what is appearing to be the "mythical " new Icon rc30 but that looks doomed never to appear. Many thanks in anticipation to my request.
STIRLING15

Re: NEW HANDHELD SCANNER

Postby Minus1 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:31 am

8.33 kHz has been in use for years.

And the 7100 will not be "of little use". It's use will merely be compromised, depending on exactly which frequencies you want to monitor.

The problem that affects many, if not most, scanners is that they have one AM bandwidth (25 kHz) so they cannot distinguish between three 8.33 channels.
They are designed for the US market where 8.33 does not exist, so the chances of Uniden and Whistler getting their finger out is slim.

Only a few have proper 8.33 kHz bandwidth capability (and even then show frequencies not channels). The more expensive AOR DV1 and it's handheld equivalent, and the new ICOM R8600 (if you happen to have £2500 lying around somewhere).
http://www.nevadaradio.co.uk/amateur-ra ... m-ic-r8600

The Yaesu FTA-750L VHF Handheld Transceiver does the job properly of course as it is aimed at professional pilots, but it hasn't yet dawned on Yaesu to make a receive only version.
I reserve the right to ignore people who have made no attempt to the read the manual, and expect others to do it for them.
Minus1

Postby STIRLING15 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:13 pm

Thank you for your reply minus1 , would the Yaesu be a good unit to look at then?
STIRLING15

Postby Minus1 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:06 am

Well it would certainly do the job, but more expensive, and not designed to be a scanner really, though it does have some scan functions.
No mention of whether the transmit facility can be disabled by the user though, so you might need to be careful with that.

Icom do some transceivers too.
https://www.gps.co.uk/avionics/8.33-khz ... 6-102-258/
You'd need to check if they have proper 8.33 kHz AM bandwidth - being able to tune to 8.33 kHz freqs is only half the job.
And check what scanning features they have.
I reserve the right to ignore people who have made no attempt to the read the manual, and expect others to do it for them.
Minus1

Return to General Discussion