Intro and a question

Talk about radio and non radio stuff in here, a place for Genral Chit Chat

Intro and a question

Postby RogerG0iuw » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:34 pm

Hi All,

Name is Roger, I,ve been a licensed Amateur since 1981 and recently re-developed an interest in scanners.
Back in the day, I had a Tandy 50 (IIRC) channel scanner and also a JIL SX200.
My scanner knowledge is way out of date and I have just acquired a Whistler TRX-2.....steep learning curve!!!

I have watched a few tutorials but I need to know if anyone can tell me where I can get CDAT files which, I believe, I need to import
into the Whistler.

Thanks

Roger
RogerG0iuw

Re: Intro and a question

Postby G4RMT » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:18 pm

Far more useful is the import from text function. You can use one of the databases http://ukscanningdirectory.co.ukThis one is very popular and updated often.

You can search the net for the kinds of stuff you want, then with some copy and pasting get them into your whistler. It's by far the easiest way when you have lots of data. The data file method is fine, but you have to spend such a ling time editing them to remove the rubbish - because the more you put into the scanner, the slower it is! I used the data in that link - chopped it into chunks - air, military air, marine, business etc, and plonked it into a spread sheet - added a few less common ones of interest to me and then brought it all into the scanner with their software. Works fine - and faffing around with data files I just found a chore.
G4RMT

Postby RogerG0iuw » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:53 pm

Thank you for the reply and information.
Firstly, I,m not the most computer-savvy person....
I purchased Kimmys UK Scanning Directory and have tried importing it into the Whistler Programming software but I,m finding that a lot
of the information is missing... ie the description of the frequency.... and it generally doesn,t look right.

Am I missing a trick here? or using the wrong method??

Roger G)IUW
RogerG0iuw

Postby USAFE501 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:37 am

Welcome Roger,

Wow - a JIL 200 now a TRX-2.....Bet the look on your face was great when you compared the 2 !!!! :shocker: :shocker:
I have a TRX-1 which should be the handheld version of yours - Happy to talk you through stuff , if you PM me direct we can sort private email address and/or phone contacts if that helps ?

Not sure where you are, I'm Hertfordshire and based at USAF Mildenhall in Suffolk if either location helps ?

Thanks
USAFE501 -Kevin
USAFE501

Postby G4RMT » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:18 pm

The description is missing? Don't forget that the whistler term for this is the alpha-tag column. So you need to simply organise the data into the right columns. A common trick is to set the thing up so you don't have HUGE groups, but have loads of them as scan lists - so beccles, norwich, marine, PMR, PMR446, lakenheath, ham etc and then in all the airband ones there will be a frequency for tower, approach, radar, ground or whatever. Are you trying to create a big scanlist with something like Scampton Tower, Scampton Radar, Southend Radar etc etc if you do it this way, it will be very unwieldy and slow. If you create lots of scan lists you can tick or untick each one to scan or ignore.
G4RMT

Postby RogerG0iuw » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:00 pm

G4RMT wrote:The description is missing? Don't forget that the whistler term for this is the alpha-tag column. So you need to simply organise the data into the right columns. A common trick is to set the thing up so you don't have HUGE groups, but have loads of them as scan lists - so beccles, norwich, marine, PMR, PMR446, lakenheath, ham etc and then in all the airband ones there will be a frequency for tower, approach, radar, ground or whatever. Are you trying to create a big scanlist with something like Scampton Tower, Scampton Radar, Southend Radar etc etc if you do it this way, it will be very unwieldy and slow. If you create lots of scan lists you can tick or untick each one to scan or ignore.

When I try to import one of Kimmys databases from his text file or part of it from the clipboard, all the data appears to end up in one column and when imported into the Whistler software, the frequency appears a couple of times and the description is missing.
I,ve spent a couple of dats trying to sort it and now I,m on the point of giving up!!!

Roger G0IUW
RogerG0iuw

Postby m0lsx » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:50 pm

The issue of the various databases not being interchangeable is sadly an old topic here. There is a way of doing it & someone posted it just a few weeks ago, I think. But at the moment I cannot see it.
Buy a database from Kimmy JS19 via http://ukscanningdirectory.co.uk/
Or do Google search of this forum via https://cse.google.com/cse/publicurl?cx=017721449704518888595:wswa65nq4ww
73 De Alan (M0LSX.)
http://www.qrz.com/db/M0LSX"
m0lsx

Return to General Discussion