My radios

Talk about radio and non radio stuff in here, a place for Genral Chit Chat

My radios

Postby Southwales » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:45 am

Hi everyone i am new to the forum, been into radios for quite a vew years on and off, late 90s I got my first scanner, realistic patrolman 2026, spent many nights listening to Merseyside police which was very interesting back then, especially as high speed pursuits were very common back then. Also had a cb radio for about 18 months, great times as all my friends had them at the same time. 2001 I got my first set of pm radios, telecom 100 though they were great even though they could never get over 1 mile.

2003 I got a 2nd hand pro26 scanner, but a few years later it started to get quiet as the police moved over to airwaves. At this point I sold all my radios at a car boot.

Roll on 2010 and me and my wife both had motorcycles and got a set of cobra radios with a motorcycle kit so we could communicate why out riding, came with a ptt button for the handlebars. Worked fairly ok.

2011 bintatone action 950 caught my eye. Great little radios that give me a good mile plus of comunication and have the secret channel 9 ( 467.0625 ) how did bintatone get away with allowing that frequency? Definitly still my favourite go to radio, running them with Lidl 950mah German made batteries and they perform great.

2015 got a set of bintatone action 1100, nice looking radios but not quite working perfect, would not hold charge as the radios never seem to fully switch off, if you looked at the screen when off you could still faintly see the display showing the last channel you was on.

A few weeks ago I got my first set of baoveng uv-5r radios, I fully understand I can not transmit on them, but they were only £26 delivered for 2 radios on gearbest, set them up as scanner radios but living in Wales they are very limiting, so I have just purchased a uniden 125xlt scanner hoping to receive more, I though the uniden had the hardest user interface of any radio I have ever used, could work my way round the uv5r within an hour from the dodgy Chinese translated manual but the uniden scanner for some reason took me many hours to find my way around and how you got in and out of various options, I don't remember it being so confusing with the realistic scanners in the past although it was quite a few years ago since I had them. I think it is aldo a pain the way you have to set the delay time for each individual channel etc. Also have to question how long the scroll dial will last for as it is so heavily used to for naming channels etc.I am happy with it now but at first thought I had made a mistake with my purchase. Oh yes and I also got a tiny crt one cb radio and moonraker mag mount thrown in as part of the deal with the uniden scanner. All new items £120 delivered.

Yet to find anyone on the cb, not sure if anyone uses them anymore? Idea is that if when I am driving around with the scanner and I find anyone on the cb frequency I will set it up in the car.

My other latest bargain are these floreon pmr radios at £6.32 a box delivered, I got about 10 of them and have given most away as Christmas presents to my nephews and family members. I quite like these radios as they can easily achieve 1 to 1.5 miles here in wales and each radio runs on 3xAA batteries so quite economical to run.

Anyway hope I have not bored anyone and please excuse my grammar, this tablet is a pain to type on, joined the forum for help on setting up my uniden scanner so will be back with questions soon, thank you.
Southwales

Return to General Discussion