Old timer wants some advice

Talk about radio and non radio stuff in here, a place for Genral Chit Chat

Old timer wants some advice

Postby nigel 007 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:34 pm

Hi guys, I first got in to scanning some 30 plus years ago, with the oldie but goodie realistic base stations, had great fun , listening to all the emergency services, air bands, marine, pmr, even the early mobile phones, anyway , dug out the old realistic 1000 channel jobby the other day , obviously knew a lot of stuff you could not receive any more , anyway , to cut a long story short , I have been looking to get a modern scanner , and have been looking at the uniden range , again , having one of their c b radios back in the early eighties, I know they make good gear , a couple of questions , with something like the ubc 360 clt , would this be a big improvement on my old scanner , ie, pull in more signals?, I am still using a trusty skycan base antenna, don't really want to spend too much money , and lastly , is it still worthwhile having a scanner , I know there is not as much on there today as in years ago, , yours Nigel .
nigel 007

Re: Old timer wants some advice

Postby m0lsx » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:45 pm

Welcome to the forum Nigel.
Which of the Realistics do you have? A PRO 2042? It's the only base 1000 channel I can think of & it's a very good scanner still.
The ubc 360 clt is probably no better than your realistic. If you have a 1000 channel scanner then the chances are your scanner covers Mil Air & a lot more besides. The 360 has fewer channels & less spectrum coverage.
The only real changes with modern analogue scanners is not with improved sensitivity, it a loss of build quality. We started a move to 8.33khz on air band decades ago, yet still we only have a 8.33khz step rather than a 8.33khz band width of 99% of scanners & that is if they have 8.33khz.
A lot of people are using digital PMR now, so digital scanners are the newest thing, but again it's poor specced & not really worth the money as a £20 TV dongle & some freeware does a better job & if you want a good digital set up then buy a good dongle to plug into your PC/laptop & use freeware, as it may not be as simple to use, but it's a whole lot better than the poor out of the box options we are being offered.
Buy a database from Kimmy JS19 via http://ukscanningdirectory.co.uk/
Or do Google search of this forum via https://cse.google.com/cse/publicurl?cx=017721449704518888595:wswa65nq4ww
73 De Alan (M0LSX.)
http://www.qrz.com/db/M0LSX"
m0lsx

Postby nigel 007 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:27 pm

Yes mate , that is definitely the scanner, I also have a pro 2004 in the house somewhere, the one with the blue yellow and grey touch pads on the front , my first machine from the defunct Tandy shop in Weymouth, happy days, going back to your original post , I may well carry on with the 1000 channel realistic, the sky scan antenna that I use, is that an ok jobby ?. have been looking at various antennas, but don't want to start rigging up masts, brackets etc, could easily rig something up in the loft , would that be an idea,? thanks again , Nigel .
nigel 007

Postby nickjaxe » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:54 pm

The 2004 is a very sensitive set....its all down to a good external antenna.
nickjaxe

Return to General Discussion