Diamond antenna poor fit

Talk about radio and non radio stuff in here, a place for Genral Chit Chat

Diamond antenna poor fit

Postby Southwales » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:29 pm

Hi, Purchased what is supposed to be a genuine diamond antenna. Problem is the BNC connector is a poor fit, quite tight to put on but even tighter to remove, my concern is I believe the BNC port on the uniden 125 is soldered straight to the circuit board and would not like to stress it, especially since I like to constantly switch to external antenna in car then at home which means the antenna would be on and off, probably not a problem if I could leave the diamond antenna on for days at a time but can not due to my constant change of antenna use. Anyone else have a diamond antenna and can say if it should be such a tight fit or not?
Southwales

Re: Diamond antenna poor fit

Postby thebigtyreman » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:53 pm

Hi mate,

no they should glide on and off but there are a few fakes about ebay so go watch how to detect a fake on on youtube so hope that helps :D

regards

Paul
thebigtyreman

Postby m0lsx » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:00 pm

It should glide on & off, but I am not sure that it's a sign of having a pirate copy. And it should loosen up with time.
Buy a database from Kimmy JS19 via http://ukscanningdirectory.co.uk/
Or do Google search of this forum via https://cse.google.com/cse/publicurl?cx=017721449704518888595:wswa65nq4ww
73 De Alan (M0LSX.)
http://www.qrz.com/db/M0LSX"
m0lsx

Postby maylandmanta » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:20 pm

If its the collar that you twist to lock on or unlock to remove your referring to they can sometimes be tight for a while .I've got a couple like that and on a closer look at the socket on the radios the small pins that they clamp around seem to be fractionally over size on one side .It may be just the plating on the metal is a bit thicker on the fitting and will wear down with use.

Steve
maylandmanta

Postby Southwales » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:11 pm

I doubt it is the centre pin as there is to much tightness for it to be the centre pin alone as i doubt it could cause that much friction or tightness feeling. I have sent the seller an email to see what they suggest.
Southwales

Postby G4RMT » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:18 am

One word of warning - BNCs are NOT designed to be mated and unmated frequently. At worst they get unpleasantly loose, thankfully it's usually the antenna BNC that suffers. The twist ring 'bump' on the end that locks wears quickly and before long, you'll be pleased yours is a bit tight. I wouldn't;t worry too much about the connector being soldered to the board - after all, with a longer antenna, that is always going to stress the radio - and as there are few complaints about it failing - the biggest danger is the shear force on the bnc by catching longer antennas, or the radio falling off things. The mating and unmaking force is on the connector's axis. Depending on the connector, stiffness on insert is just the nylon insert, and it will wear quickly. It could be that the connector has been stood on at some point in the factory, and is not circular - that could be visible. Being very honest - wobbly loose BNCs are very annoying - nice stiff ones can be a positive, and wouldn't worry me at all.
G4RMT

Return to General Discussion