New Whistler brand of Scanners coming...

For The Latest Radio News and what's going on in The Airwaves...

Re: New Whistler brand of Scanners coming...

Postby Fires999 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:00 am

Alfie,
I dont understand why Europe never seems to be important when it comes to US manufacturersin onrof scanners....took ages before I saw a scanner that displayed ctcss !!!!
With regards to your DV -1....heard so many similar reviews saying how poor it is for the money.
All I have done is got 2 cs700 dmr handhelds one for vhf and the other uhf. I then use cheap scanner with the mod to feed my £50 laptop with dsd running and then use the decoded data to program my handhelds.
Cost of setup £200 for both handhelds..£50 laptop....I know its not as "clean" as the dv 1 being in one radio but a damn site cheaper !!!!!

Think AOR rushed it to be honest, and am I right in thinking that it decodes the audio for dmr but doesnt display colour codes or slots like dsd software ? Thats really poor !
Hopefully AOR will provide some software upgrade to make it a half decent radio.

Thanks
Kevin
Fires999

Postby mjultra » Thu May 19, 2016 12:06 pm

Hello all, new to the group but not the hobby !
thought you may find the following very interesting

The Whistler WS1098 digital scanner will soon be eligible for a free upgrade enabling DMR monitoring.

The old saying, “when it rains it pours” definitely held true today with an announcement by the Whistler Group, Inc., a leading industry supplier of state-of the-art mobile electronics, that it would be adding two new models to their digital scanner line up – the TRX-1 and TRX-2, that will both feature DMR monitoring capabilities. This announcement follows a day after Uniden made a similar announcement concerning its flagship scanner models, the BCD536HP and BCD436HP, that would both also be supporting DMR with paid software upgrade.
http://www.va3xpr.net/whistler-launches ... -scanners/
AOR 8600 MK2
BCT UBC800XLT
BCT UBC92XLT
All disc tapped
mjultra

Postby Mick M5AED » Thu May 19, 2016 8:25 pm

A quick comment about the AOR DV-1. It is a clever receiver, provided you do not want to listen to it ! The audio is low and rather strange. I was uncertain if it was just a dull flat audio amp or if there were other problems going on. I sent the radio back for a refund.
Mick M5AED

Postby gordonbrittas » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:14 pm

I bought a whistler 1088 because i was aware of the free DMR upgrade which the scanner now has.The audio on DMR is 10/10 and it displays all the relevant information such as Talk Group,slot number,colour code and individual radio id.

It picks up a fair few DMR signal to be honest but i have been a little disappointed that they are mainly taxis,skip hire,traffic wardens and a couple of security companies.I haven't managed to hear one store net,pub watch etc.To be fair there are probably only about three channels that are encrypted but they are probably the more interesting ones i am guessing.

A few question i have are do you thing DSD Plus will ever be able to decrypt those channels in the future.Also do you see more use of MotoTRBO in the near future by various groups.
gordonbrittas

Previous

Return to Radio News