Manchester Fireground Handheld Radios now DMR Mototrbo

For The Latest Radio News and what's going on in The Airwaves...

Re: Manchester Fireground Handheld Radios now DMR Mototrbo

Postby Fires999 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:00 am

Why is info for dmr such as colour code etc classed as security issue therefore not allowed in posts ?
Forum is happy to publish existing freqs for fire ground uhf analogue comms currently in use, is that not the same risk ?
Anyone reading the forum and seeing fireground uhf analogue freqs can then use their cheap chinese radio to tx all over them ?
Also will the forum not publish any details of the new AOR DV1 that automatically displays then decodes the DMR audio for all to listen to ? Is that not a double standard from the forum ?
Dont get me wrong, currently in my 20th year as an Officer with LFB so fully aware of all comms the blue light services use and also an avid scanner fan so I appreciate the sometimes delicate nature of our hobby and how easy it would become for users to end up only being able to listen to a few things because we " shouted from the rooftops" so loudly about what we can hear that we shoot ourselves in the foot and cause the hobbies own demise ourselves
Ofcom itself has started publishing colour code,slot etc along with usual user details on the license finder website that again is a great resourse but again something the forum is happy to allow posts about ?
Thanks for reading
Kev
Fires999

Postby Mark5R » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:47 am

I agree frequency is all that is needed imo as with that you can use dsd and listen which is better than giving personal user info that could program a radio and cause havok in the wrong hands. Tis a sad fact but there are many idiots about!

And ofcom colour codes are never right in any case :wink:
Whistler TRX-2 ~ Funcube Dongle Pro+
Baofeng UV-5R ~ Baofeng UV-3R+
GRE PSR-225 ~ Uniden Bearcat BCT-15X
Cobra 29LTD ~ Cobra MT115
Mark5R

Postby moj » Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:14 pm

Well said mark , I couldn't of put it any better ;)

and I,m sure a wannabe muppet doesn't want to be sat for hours and hours waiting for speech on dsd and sniffing the details which to us users is half the fun of the scanning hobby , they would prefer an online list so they can just tap in the details off google and start whistling down the mics and trying to annoy the local fire brigade and shopwatch etc

I,m happy with the setup of this forum knowing it makes it a bit harder for the idiots to cause havoc and keeps this forum running for the real members who appreciate the hobby ;)
moj

Postby Fires999 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:54 pm

Hi guys,
I agree that this forum maintains its integrity....otherwise we might as well log into the other Scanning Forum and just post our sort code and pin numbers for all to see !!!!
Anyway, thanks for reading my points of view...as I've said before i will always abide by this forums rules....place would be dull if we were all yes people and never disagreed with points of view.
Have good weekend....weather looking warm...maybe some new signals to be had ?!

Kevin
Fires999

Postby m0lsx » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:04 pm

Fires999 wrote:Why is info for dmr such as colour code etc classed as security issue therefore not allowed in posts ?
Forum is happy to publish existing freqs for fire ground uhf analogue comms currently in use, is that not the same risk ?
Anyone reading the forum and seeing fireground uhf analogue freqs can then use their cheap chinese radio to tx all over them ?
Also will the forum not publish any details of the new AOR DV1 that automatically displays then decodes the DMR audio for all to listen to ? Is that not a double standard from the forum ?
Kev

I am just guessing Kev, but I would imagine that the feeling is that frequencies are published else where & have been for years & thus most are already in the public domain.
Publishing frequencies is something that has a long history of being done with no complaints or issues.
When I started SW listening seriously back in the 70's I brought a book published in America called the Confidential Frequency Guide. That was a list of frequencies & modes of transmission for Embassies, security services & military operators etc etc. Thus anyone complaining about our activity here would have difficulty proving we are doing anything new.
As an example of published frequencies for scanning enthusiasts. My oldest copy of The UK Scanning Directory dates from 1993 & that is the 3rd edition, so publishing frequencies that has include Police, Fire, Prisons, mobile phones etc etc, for scanning enthusiasts goes back well over 20 years & now even Ofcom publishes operators licence details in the public domain.
However adding digital codes, which are not in general already in the public domain & also a new area with no history of acceptance of publication could be seen as a giving others the chance to say this is a step too far.
Buy a database from Kimmy JS19 via http://ukscanningdirectory.co.uk/
Or do Google search of this forum via https://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=partner-pub-6291336405621919:2662881632
73 De Alan (M0LSX.)
http://www.qrz.com/db/M0LSX"
m0lsx

Postby Fires999 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:27 am

Al,
Well put..as always, only needs a minority to ruin it for the rest of us. Reminds me of PROMA and Paul appearing on Sky News as a Radio Ham Hacker !!!
Anyway , with a bit of luck DMR will carry on and users will be none the wiser and listeners will carry on scanning - new receivers that auto decode digital will no doubt appear like those that could decode ctcss or dcs....and the debate about Airwave and Tetra will continue until us in the Blue Light family are "given" the next version of radio comms....still think my idea to replace Airwave with tin cans and string is the best.....what receivers do you know that decode soggy string eh ? Who needs colour codes and slots when you can have Heinz with beans or soup ??

Have great weekend and enjoy some warmer listening weather...I'm planning on writing my letter to Ofcom to see if they will broadcast UK Police radio live online via an app to show their public spirit...what do you reckon ?!!!!! :lol:
Take care, Kevin
Fires999

Postby m0lsx » Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:49 am

Fires999 wrote: I'm planning on writing my letter to Ofcom to see if they will broadcast UK Police radio live online via an app to show their public spirit...what do you reckon ?!!!!! :lol:
Take care, Kevin

I know it is off topic
I have long been of the opinion that the Polices problem with anyone listening to them has nothing to do with security or anything more than us knowing what the Police priorities are.
As an example when we could listen two vehicles were sent very quickly to a silent alarm at a commercial premises, which was said to have a history of false alarms. Whilst at the same time a female who according to the radio traffic sent to the single car sent to her, had a history of problems with a male & who had an alarm box at home connected directly with the Police. So despite all that & the fact the male was there & trying to kick her door in, she gets one car & the commercial premises gets two & with both incidents happening simultaneously.
On another occasion a Car was sent from the north side of Norwich to a serious car accident on the Norfolk Suffolk boarder at around 5 to 6pm. This is around a 20 mile trip & one that will take you through the City centre & out the other side as everyone else is on the roads heading home & all this because this was the ONLY traffic car available!!!
And the list goes on & on.
The real security issues comes from unintelligent use of radio signals, not from people listening, but that is not how some see it.
Two examples of unintelligent radio use would be a recovery company I use to work for passing credit Card details over the PMR & a very security sensitive location using an RF operated gate for vehicular access. All any one needs is a £20 pmr & the ability to program a channel in & the gate opens!!!!!!!
Buy a database from Kimmy JS19 via http://ukscanningdirectory.co.uk/
Or do Google search of this forum via https://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=partner-pub-6291336405621919:2662881632
73 De Alan (M0LSX.)
http://www.qrz.com/db/M0LSX"
m0lsx

Previous

Return to Radio News