UK Taxi firm fined by Ofcom using unlicensed frequency

For The Latest Radio News and what's going on in The Airwaves...

Re: UK Taxi firm fined by Ofcom using unlicensed frequency

Postby Frequency Hopper » Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:10 pm

That makes sense thanks Alan.
Frequency Hopper

Postby yupiteru » Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:54 pm

I worked for the HSE for 15yrs in an advisory capacity. I left there a few years ago, but I remember that the power of officers to enter premises without a search warrant and close dangerous factories etc etc, were brought into force on behalf of the Secretary of State in the 'Health and Safety at Work Act 1974'.

i would suspect that a similar process would apply to OFCOM officers where any powers to monitor transmissions and confiscate equipment etc etc and other enforcement duties, would require a similar permission from the Secretary of State.

Only in OFCOM's case, this would most likely be brought into force by the 'Wireless Telegraphy Act 2006' and/or the 'Communications Act 2006 - I don't fancy reading through the hundreds of pages mind you to find the relevant paragraphs, if they exist.

Hardly light bedtime reading :smiles:
yupiteru

Postby Frequency Hopper » Thu May 21, 2015 7:03 pm

I expect they will do whatever they want and listen to whoever they want to shortly. With Cameron getting rid of the Human Rights Act and going ahead with the Snoopers Charter there will be little left in the way of civil liberties and basic human and private rights to stop them.
Frequency Hopper

Postby m0lsx » Thu May 21, 2015 7:23 pm

I have just been reading the Radio Jackie story by Colin King & it was a learning experience. The Post Office & the DTI were confiscating transmitters when all they had the legal right to do was ask you to turn it off under the Wireless Telegraphy Act legislation.
Jackie were keeping transmitters & even getting them back from the Police & at times getting them back so quickly from the Police that they were back on air within an hour, so not through the courts, but due to the fact that someones property cannot be grabbed & taken illegally.
Currently & as I understand it, Ofcom has no right to enter your premises without a search warrant, unless you have a licence. They are defiantly having to get either search warrants or the permission of the owner of the premises..If as it often is in big cities the top of a block of flats for VHF broadcasting.
In 2012, an estimated 20,000 officials had the right to enter your home without a warrant., This figure was accepted as accurate & used in a House of Lords debate on "The protection of freedoms bill."
During the debate it was said that there were "1,200 separate powers of entry in legislation for officials and regulators ."
Buy a database from Kimmy JS19 via http://ukscanningdirectory.co.uk/
Or do Google search of this forum via https://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=partner-pub-6291336405621919:2662881632
73 De Alan (M0LSX.)
http://www.qrz.com/db/M0LSX"
m0lsx

Postby bigbloke » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:26 pm

I can confirm that ofcom DO periodically perform spectrum occupancy checks, but they outsource to contractors
who record the raw spectral SDR data onto high capacity memory storage cards which get presented to ofcom for analysis.

they also measure parameters like ambient noise floor.

Regards

BB
bigbloke

Postby Alfie » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 pm

bigbloke wrote:I can confirm that ofcom DO periodically perform spectrum occupancy checks, but they outsource to contractors

So they are in breach of the very laws they enforce. not only that but they actual pay someone else to brerak the rules lol. still i see many police cars parked on double yellows. one rule for them and another for joe public again :rolleyes:
Alfie

Postby M0LFO » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:34 pm

Ofcom have remote monitoring equipment and a listening station at Baldock,

http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/binari ... aldock.pdf
Steve, M0LFO
M0LFO

Previous

Return to Radio News