Ofcom make the 2013 UK Frequency Allocation Table available

For The Latest Radio News and what's going on in The Airwaves...

Postby SilverShadow » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:19 pm

Ofcom have now made available for free download the UK Frequency Allocation Table 2013 which details the uses to which various frequency bands are put in the UK (referred to as 'allocations') and which bodies are responsible for planning and managing them, including making frequency assignments to individual users or installations at particular locations.

It also shows the internationally agreed spectrum allocations of the International Telecommunication Union.

You can download it here...
http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/binari ... T_2013.pdf

SilverShadow
Site Admin

Re: Ofcom make the 2013 UK Frequency Allocation Table availa

Postby 2E0AIV » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:31 pm

Note the 2m and 70cms (VHF and UHF ) Amateur portions of the frequencies used. You will see that all simplex channels are now stated as FM/DV - The DV standing for Digital Voice. Much to the annoyance of the usual analogue users, these channels are now being used with digital Voice (that many wrongly call D-Star, when in fact D-Star is the repeater system). So more and more scanner enthusiasts will not be able to listen to the amateur fraternity, another loss to scanner enthusiasts? I have a DV Icom IC-E2820 and use these channels on a regular basis now, as my licence allows. It is also interesting to note the FM/DV is also marked in all of the other bands be it 4m 6m and 10m right the way down to the Low HF frequencies as far as 80m. Many Amateurs are working on Digital Voice on HF equipment at this time and you can hear more and more of it as you twiddle your dial over the HF Ham band Frequencies. Digital Voice is here to stay.
2E0AIV

Postby SilverShadow » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:51 pm

I really hear where your coming from 2E0AIV and agree 100% ;)

Ofcom are in breach of their own regulations and guidelines on many occasions, twice of which are shown here in the two points below...

Point 1 - As a ham you agree not to cause harm or disruption to any other users on the band.

Point 2 - It is customary and standard operating proceedure to ask if a frequency is in use before making a contact or QSO.

If a user is using D-star, then even if they wanted to they could not comply with the two points above because they can't even hear who they are causing harm and interference to :roll:
SilverShadow
Site Admin

Postby 2E0AIV » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:14 am

This is true - however, my Icom when in DV (Digital Voice) Mode can also monitor and hear Analogue signals on the frequency - the DV mode on the display flashes to let you know that it is an analogue signal and then you can hear the analogue Audio, clever these Japanese. However, i agree with asking if the frequency is in use, is pointless, because although i can hear analogue users, all they hear is an annoying buzzing sound. The annoying practice of giving you callsign after every over that amateurs do ( Licence says at begining of tx, every fifteen mins and at end of tx), despite being wrong lol, is totally superseded on Digital voice by the fact that your radio send a Header data packet with your signal and displays your callsign for all others to see on their radio display, so on Digital Voice giving your callsign at all is pointless lol Obviously offcom had not thought of that when issuing licences which now include digital, it seems our regulatory body is behind on the times and technology :)
2E0AIV

Postby 2E0AIV » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:18 am

P.s. In case you are not aware - you can see the Digital Signals going through the system live on your screen at the following link

http://ircddb.net/live.htm

However, unfortunately you will not be able to hear audio, It will give you an idea of how used the system is world wide. If you want to hear, you will have to shell out big bucks to buy a digital radio (daylight robbery lol)

Andy
2e0aiv
2E0AIV

Postby 2E0AIV » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:24 am

Digital D-Star transmission States as below for guidance as to how much the system is used (this is a random day selection) :

00:00:03.053 Sun 2013-02-24 @ 00:21:06 UTC
DB Servers: Within the last:
1 2 3 4 5 6 hour day week
TX 459 15179 94652
2E0AIV

Postby Allan » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:11 am

I have had my Ham Licence since 1981,And im still learning just done my NOV for 5 megs....So I thought I was up to date LOL.But I did not know about digital voice on the Ham HF freq.I did wonder what some strange noises was getting about "HI".So it looks as tho I will have to change my HF rigs in the short future.I have my Old FT102 line up.Also my FT 757GX line up and only a few years ago I bought my FT847 satellite.Its non stop pay out in these hobbies... Digital I duno...I had better download that new list of freq now.
Allan

Postby 2E0AIV » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:26 am

Alan Its scary when you add up the cost of all the equipment that you own isnt it lol

http://www.icomamerica.com/en/products/ ... fault.aspx

For the price of this rig you can get Digital Voice on 10m and 6m - but you could probably buy a decent run around car for that price as well :)

Our USA colleagues are working on a cheap board as add on to your HF rig to operate DV SSB - Watch this space

Andy
2E0AIV

Postby DX Jim » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:27 pm

It would make more sense to allocate a part of the band to digital, say on 2 metres 145.400 to 145.425 and the same accross the bands and that way people will not suffer the same problem I do which is one d-star repeater stopping me listen to the analogue one on the same frequency due to the annoying noise it gives off in the background
DX Jim

Postby m0lsx » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:12 pm

The really annoying thing about Death Star is that some pillocks use 145.800 :o :shock: :shock: :roll:
73 De Alan (M0LSX.)
http://www.qrz.com/db/M0LSX"
Old pirates don't go silent key, their 807's just slowly loose their glow.
m0lsx

Next

Return to Radio News