UK: Details for the Emergency Services Network.

For The Latest Radio News and what's going on in The Airwaves...

UK: Details for the Emergency Services Network.

Postby m0lsx » Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:57 am

The U.K. government released a prior information notice (PIN) for devices to operate on the Emergency Services Network (ESN), the public-safety Long Term Evolution (LTE) nationwide network planned to replace the country’s TETRA network managed by Airwave.

The Secretary of State for the Home Department intends to put in place a dynamic purchasing system (DPS) for use by the three emergency services and other ESN users. The estimated duration of the ESN devices DPS is a minimum of four years, and the estimated cost is between 30 to 150 million pounds (US$39 million to US$197.1 million).

The requirements include establishing a DPS for ESN devices, accessories and services to allow suppliers to bid for and supply ESN-approved devices. Approved devices will be tested to ensure they are capable of carrying out public-safety communications services and do not adversely affect the ESN and/or the Airwave network.

The department is requiring 1,500 production standard trial devices of various types for operational trials and pilots starting mid-2017. These trials devices will be procured incrementally, using the DPS, for the operational trials and pilots. About 300,000 production standard devices will be required for the three emergency services to transition from Airwave to ESN with the first procurement starting in the second quarter of 2017, prior to the start of the first regional transition in September 2017.

The categories of devices include the following:
• Handheld devices — standard, ruggedized, single and dual-mode LTE/TETRA devices;
• Specialist — direct device-to-device communications;
• Active accessories — wireless, wired and batteries;
• Passive accessories — cases and device carriage on clothing;
• Vehicle devices — four-wheel vehicle ESN modems, devices and gateway devices and two-wheel vehicle ESN devices and waterborne ESN devices;
• Vehicle accessories;
• Vehicle installation design and implementation;
• Managed services; and
• Unified — any combination of the other categories

There will be 12 regions with a staggered start, and each region will take up to a year to transition. The transition is forecast to last up to 27 months and should be completed by the end of 2019.


Taken from Southgate ARC's news site.
Buy a database from Kimmy JS19 via http://ukscanningdirectory.co.uk/
Or do Google search of this forum via https://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=partner-pub-6291336405621919:2662881632
73 De Alan (M0LSX.)
http://www.qrz.com/db/M0LSX"
User avatar
m0lsx
 
Posts: 5017
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:14 pm
Location: Norwich. TG21.

Re: UK: Details for the Emergency Services Network.

Postby USAFE501 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:28 am

Hi guys,
Has anyone seen any prototype devices at all for this network ? I imagine handhelds looking more towards smart-phone looking ? or still looking like a handheld but with bigger display ? All I know is 20 + years in the Fire Service means anything that doesn't have the strength of a solid brick of steel, as waterproof as a mermaids purse and an antennae designed to be used as a handle and can be swung around by it like an Olympic hammer thrower, well anything less than this wont be any good for those in big red lorries !!!!!
I know of one Fire Service that trialled "Blackberry " type devises with one of those small pencil type stylus.....after about a week, stylus goes missing and firefighters used anything pen shaped instead....cocktail sticks, nails , screws - resulted in 30 devises being rendered "beyond economical repair" with damage screens !!!!! :laughs: :laughs:

And what will happen to existing Airwave network ? I did read article in magazine by Chris Lorek the radio guru who helped many radio amateurs convert ex police analogue radios for use on Ham bands...he mentions will there be a steady supply of surplus ex-police Airwave radios in the same way when they changed from analogue ?
I do know that some Fire Services have replaced their existing Fireground Radios (UHF allocation 457mhz - not part of the Airwave plan a few years back) - replaced with UHF handhelds with DMR/Analogue capabilities to be able to communicate with bordering Fire Services at incidents. I guess the new network to replace AIRWAVE/Tetra will again leave fireground comms alone ?

Be interested to see what happens.....
USAFE501 Kevin
USAFE501
 
Posts: 46
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:30 am

Re: UK: Details for the Emergency Services Network.

Postby m0lsx » Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:34 pm

The Sepura radios are already readily available from places such as ebay.
My understanding is that the new system will be mobile phone style handhelds.
Buy a database from Kimmy JS19 via http://ukscanningdirectory.co.uk/
Or do Google search of this forum via https://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=partner-pub-6291336405621919:2662881632
73 De Alan (M0LSX.)
http://www.qrz.com/db/M0LSX"
User avatar
m0lsx
 
Posts: 5017
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:14 pm
Location: Norwich. TG21.

Re: UK: Details for the Emergency Services Network.

Postby Minus1 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:17 pm

USAFE501 wrote: I guess the new network to replace AIRWAVE/Tetra will again leave fireground comms alone ?


We can but hope that somebody is more interested in fighting fires than in spending money …
I reserve the right to ignore people who have made no attempt to the read the manual, and expect others to do it for them.
User avatar
Minus1
 
Posts: 484
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:17 am
Location: West Midlands

Re: UK: Details for the Emergency Services Network.

Postby Metradio » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:02 pm

Minus1 wrote:....We can but hope that somebody is more interested in fighting fires AND spending money …

Fixed that for you...

Mike
Connect Systems CS750 and CS800, Hytera PD-365, Motorola DP4600.
Raspberry Pi 2 and DV4Mini HotSpot.
AOR AR-DV1 Digital Voice Receiver / eSPY on ARD.
WS1088 / TRX-1 / Whistler Q /UBCD3600XLT.
User avatar
Metradio
 
Posts: 227
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:53 pm
Location: Box 500, Slough, Berkshire

Re: UK: Details for the Emergency Services Network.

Postby redman99 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:22 pm

USAFE501 wrote:Hi guys,
Has anyone seen any prototype devices at all for this network ? I imagine handhelds looking more towards smart-phone looking ? or still looking like a handheld but with bigger display ? All I know is 20 + years in the Fire Service means anything that doesn't have the strength of a solid brick of steel, as waterproof as a mermaids purse and an antennae designed to be used as a handle and can be swung around by it like an Olympic hammer thrower, well anything less than this wont be any good for those in big red lorries !!!!!
I know of one Fire Service that trialled "Blackberry " type devises with one of those small pencil type stylus.....after about a week, stylus goes missing and firefighters used anything pen shaped instead....cocktail sticks, nails , screws - resulted in 30 devises being rendered "beyond economical repair" with damage screens !!!!! :laughs: :laughs:

And what will happen to existing Airwave network ? I did read article in magazine by Chris Lorek the radio guru who helped many radio amateurs convert ex police analogue radios for use on Ham bands...he mentions will there be a steady supply of surplus ex-police Airwave radios in the same way when they changed from analogue ?
I do know that some Fire Services have replaced their existing Fireground Radios (UHF allocation 457mhz - not part of the Airwave plan a few years back) - replaced with UHF handhelds with DMR/Analogue capabilities to be able to communicate with bordering Fire Services at incidents. I guess the new network to replace AIRWAVE/Tetra will again leave fireground comms alone ?

Be interested to see what happens.....
USAFE501 Kevin
Will the new system have airtime charges or totally free to use, as many calls as you like ?
Whistler TRX-2 BCD396T BCT15X CS-701 Plessey Vixen WinRadio G315 + other various old tat
redman99
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:03 pm

Re: UK: Details for the Emergency Services Network.

Postby Metradio » Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:47 pm

redman99 wrote:... Will the new system have airtime charges or totally free to use, as many calls as you like ?


I think deep down you already know the answer :sad:

Mike
Connect Systems CS750 and CS800, Hytera PD-365, Motorola DP4600.
Raspberry Pi 2 and DV4Mini HotSpot.
AOR AR-DV1 Digital Voice Receiver / eSPY on ARD.
WS1088 / TRX-1 / Whistler Q /UBCD3600XLT.
User avatar
Metradio
 
Posts: 227
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:53 pm
Location: Box 500, Slough, Berkshire

Re: UK: Details for the Emergency Services Network.

Postby redman99 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:09 pm

Oh dear dear & projected/promissed coverage in rural area's will be ?
I do know that a number of Tetra sites were turned off in my local area due to costs.
Not a problem, officer's use normal mobile networks instead.
Will this indeed be the case on the Tetra replacement to overcome the out of service area's.
Where I live you do need twin sim card phones in order to stand a chance of using the networks.
I do feel much will be promised & again little delivered.
Whistler TRX-2 BCD396T BCT15X CS-701 Plessey Vixen WinRadio G315 + other various old tat
redman99
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:03 pm


Return to Radio News

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest