Advanced Distance Learning Course.

For The Latest Radio News and what's going on in The Airwaves...

Advanced Distance Learning Course.

Postby m0lsx » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:16 am

Southgate ARC's news site carries the following story today...

For most people, distance learning is not as good as face-to-face training but these courses are ideal for anyone who cannot make it to traditional classroom events

The Bath-based distance learning team will be running an Advanced amateur radio course from early July to December.

Weekly work packages are sent out to students who complete the studying at home and submit answers to revision questions and exercises via the internet.

Some video tutorials and demonstrations are included in the course material and links to other useful resources are also provided.

To enrol contact Steve Hartley, G0FUW, via e-mail
g0fuw <at> tiscali.co.uk
Buy a database from Kimmy JS19 via http://ukscanningdirectory.co.uk/
Or do Google search of this forum via https://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=partner-pub-6291336405621919:2662881632
73 De Alan (M0LSX.)
http://www.qrz.com/db/M0LSX"
m0lsx

Re: Advanced Distance Learning Course.

Postby G4RMT » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:04 am

Distance learning is tried and tested, but only works for a smallish percentage of the learning population. Everyone has different and well understood learning styles, and if you are luck - and most importantly - the package is produced by educationalists, not enthusiasts, it can work pretty well.

The main problem is that in a class the teacher says something and a quick face scan instantly shows you how well that got across. It ranges from 100% understanding to complete failure - not one person got it. In this case, you simply present the same information differently and a few more faces light up, and perhaps even when revisited two or three times, a few will still indicate total confusion in their faces. You then initiate a two way process with these, find out the barrier to learning, sort it and move on. Sometimes it's simply language - you used a word or term that they couldn't process. Once explained, off you go again.

Distance learning cannot do this, so the best kind needs to present material in parallel lanes - each one attracting a different person.

Kids at school now have text books that guide everyone through. There will be images, pictures, diagrams, text and other imaginative elements - but enough for everyone. It means progress can be quicker, but the material is far lengthier than it really needs to be. The people who understand diagrams and flow charts use those. The text satisfies the readers, and nice images and photos work for others. Quite how you produce something for everyone in a subject as dull and dry as ours is tricky, I would think!

My wife at work has to do her quals via distance learning. I read it, present it to her, she passes. On her own, she was sinking - it didn't make any sense to her.
G4RMT

Postby m0lsx » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:24 am

The Bath group have run a few of these courses & pairs a trainee with a trainer who is there to support & answer questions via skype etc.
Sadly not all radio clubs provide training & at others the training is poor or at best not great. I was talking to someone some time ago who is a trainer with a vast experience as a professional in the field & a long history in amateur radio training & he was saying one club local to us does training with no questions allowed!!! But as they told us on the train the trainers course..Questions are the hardest part for the trainers, as that is where personal knowledge comes in & not have you read the book.
Also not all clubs offer advanced courses, so the bath clubs training may not be ideal on one level. But on others it is better than some have available without it.
I attended a course that my youngest daughter did & one trainer confused one subject so badly they had to re teach it & another trainer sat at the back boasting & joking about how she had only just passed her foundation/intermediate for a big part of the course.
I have also heard three intermediates who are trainers on a repeater passing someone around who is distant from them. To see who could hear & work him via the local repeater!!!! And to make matters worse these trainers were talking about sending the distant station a QSL to prove they have worked him at that distance!!! Even a newly trained foundation holder should realise they were only working the repeater & it was not DX for anyone but the distant station into the repeater & he was not in a location that surprised me.
Buy a database from Kimmy JS19 via http://ukscanningdirectory.co.uk/
Or do Google search of this forum via https://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=partner-pub-6291336405621919:2662881632
73 De Alan (M0LSX.)
http://www.qrz.com/db/M0LSX"
m0lsx

Postby G4RMT » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:06 pm

Part of one of my old jobs was to stand in a room full of teachers, and attempt to train them. Frequently the big headed ones stuck their oar in and the new ones started to sink because of badly put together comments from these 'experts'. Very often in any kind of education, the teachers are only a year, or a month, or sometimes a page ahead of the people they train, Not right, is it?

Whenever I have to be a student - I find out quickly what my teachers knows and then give their words the weight they deserve.
G4RMT

Postby Metradio » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:36 pm

All through my working life I have been unable to suffer fools lightly, so I have had a number of diversified careers, with a CV that read like the cast of the Village People or the title of a le Carré novel. The downside of all this meant sometimes entering a new career at the bottom rung of the ladder, so I spent a lot of my time being taught the ropes, sometimes this went very well at others I wonderd who was leading who, BUT what I did learn was - make the most of it - embrace the knowledge, whatever I might have been tempted to say would not have helped me in fact it might have done more harm than good. I was willing to learn and I think this was generally recognised.

Mike
Connect Systems CS750 and CS800, Hytera PD-365, Motorola DP4600.
Raspberry Pi 2 and DV4Mini HotSpot.
AOR AR-DV1 Digital Voice Receiver / eSPY on ARD.
WS1088 / TRX-1 / Whistler Q /UBCD3600XLT.
Metradio

Return to Radio News