DMR Radio

Forum for DMR, dPMR, NEXEDGE, Mototrbo, MARC, Tetra & all other DIGITAL modes

DMR Radio

Postby jonnyboyy » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:22 pm

Hi all, I'm interested in being able to monitor digital users in the London area, I pick up lots of digital signals and would like to buy a DMR setup so I can monitor these systems. Could you recommend a cheap DMR radio, software, cable etc. Tried the dongle route but would prefer a DMR setup and would welcome your advice. Most digital signals I pick up are from 440mhz onwards.

JonnyBoyy
jonnyboyy

Re: DMR Radio

Postby moj » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:25 am

To be honest theres no such thing as a cheap dmr setup and if you search all the past forum posts you will find out why , the Motorola software and cable alone are more than buying a secondhand dp3400 or you could go the route I started with by buying a full Chinese radio package but again your looking around the £280 mark so good luck in your search for a cheap one m8 ;)
moj

Postby Zodian » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:58 am

The cheapest way would be to purchase a digital tv dongle, download the software that converts it to a scanner, install SDR# and dsd+ and away you go. There are plenty of post's on here to guide you through the process. Have fun.
Zodian

Postby SilverShadow » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:46 am

The problem is you will need to go down the dongle route anyway as unlike analogue (where just frequency and tone are needed) you need all the parametres to program into a DMR radio to hear anything which include Group ID, Frequency, TimeSlot, and Colour Code. You can get them by using DMR Decode.

It's very cheap and fairly easy to get started monitoring digital, you just need a disc tap or a dongle (under £10 on ebay) and the free DSD software. I would first get used to DMR systems and log some info before thinking of getting a DMR radio.
SilverShadow
Site Admin

Postby jonnyboyy » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:46 pm

Hi silvershadow, problem being I can never get SDR sharp to work properly, wish I could.

JonnyBoyy
jonnyboyy

Postby sammy3417 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:15 pm

SilverShadow wrote:The problem is you will need to go down the dongle route anyway as unlike analogue (where just frequency and tone are needed) you need all the parametres to program into a DMR radio to hear anything which include Group ID, Frequency, TimeSlot, and Colour Code. You can get them by using DMR Decode.

It's very cheap and fairly easy to get started monitoring digital, you just need a disc tap or a dongle (under £10 on ebay) and the free DSD software. I would first get used to DMR systems and log some info before thinking of getting a DMR radio.

@Jonnyboyy that's the best advice! SilverShadow has hit the nail on the head. Play with a dongle, use DSD and DMRDecode! Once you have an understanding about how it works it will become more clear when you do buy a DMR Radio, as the lady states you cant just pump a frequency into a DMR radio and listen to what you want. I had a play with the dongle for a while I had DMRDecode and DSD running side by side to try and understand what was going on. When I got my radio I ran into a few problems regarding groups but SilverShadow and Moj helped me understand the group thing! I should have gotten this on my own as I have a APCO25 Digital radio for listening to a certain system and this also uses groups.

Have a play with the dongle, DSD and DMRDecode!
Then send your radio away to get a tap fitted I did mine through this site (http://www.discriminator.nl/index-en.html)
Once you've got it all then take the plunge :walkietalkie: :radiocall:
sammy3417

Postby whizzkid720 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:37 pm

Jonny silvershadow and Sammy are giving you good advice, I done everything back to front , Ive bought 2 bfdx bf td501 radios for £270 each and I cant use them yet , Ive had to buy a dongle and Im just learning how to set it all up, then I gotta learn how to use sdr sharp and scanner plug in, then learn how to use dmr decode and dsd decode, before I can start programming radios. I used software that came with dongle first and didn't get it set up right, so I uninstalled it and looked on you tube and a radio ham showed how to set up sdr sharp- just go to sdrsharp.com download sdr sharp and zadig, go onto link on sdrsharp website for community help for sdrsharp and it tells you how to do it all, then you have to get scanner plug in and set that up
whizzkid720

Postby jonnyboyy » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:40 am

Hi all, thanks for the sound advice, got sdr running at last. Now just need to get dsd running along with sdr sharp. Downloaded and installed virtual cable but need help setting it all up. Been looking online don't seem to be any good guides to setting this up, I would welcome your advice on setting all this up.

JonnyBoyy.
jonnyboyy

Postby NightSurfer » Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:33 am

SilverShadow wrote:... Group ID, Frequency, TimeSlot, and Colour Code. You can get them by using DMR Decode...

Please could you point me in the direction of download for DMR Decode? Thanks. :smiles:
-- Never knowingly understood
NightSurfer

Postby M3TSY » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:31 am

You can download DMR Decode here http://borg.shef.ac.uk/dmrdecode/

And welcome to the group :thumbup:
M3TSY
Site Admin

Next

Return to DMR & Digital Modes