P25 -APCO (APCO P25 Phase I, Motorola, EDACS, LTR

Forum for DMR, dPMR, NEXEDGE, Mototrbo, MARC, Tetra & all other DIGITAL modes

P25 -APCO (APCO P25 Phase I, Motorola, EDACS, LTR

Postby scannerboi15 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:45 pm

Do anyone use p25 here in the UK
scannerboi15

Re: P25 -APCO (APCO P25 Phase I, Motorola, EDACS, LTR

Postby Frequency Hopper » Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:54 pm

There are few military Apco UK users but not anyone else that I am aware of.
Frequency Hopper

Postby moj » Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:14 pm

There is also a small group of amateurs that use p25 towards blackpool and I heard the audio of there motorolas at a rally and it sounded pretty clear but like frequency hopper said its mainly in use by us military and sailsbury plains exercises etc .
moj

Postby Minus1 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:24 am

British military (presumably army) in Salisbury Plain area.

USAF bases:

Lakenheath
Mildenhall
Molesworth
Croughton
Fairford
and what I suspect may be Welford in Berkshire.

Plus the NSA (allegedly) at Menwith Hill near Harrogate.

I did see an article a while ago, saying that the RAF were going to start using it, but I've not found any transmissions.
I reserve the right to ignore people who have made no attempt to the read the manual, and expect others to do it for them.
Minus1

Postby Davie Boy » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:50 pm

Minus1 wrote:I did see an article a while ago, saying that the RAF were going to start using it, but I've not found any transmissions.

They mostly use TETRA I believe?

Two examples from the scanning directory (there are many others)...

410.7750____RAF LAKENHEATH (AIRWAVE)__________SUFFOLK___DIG___KimmyJS19___Oct 2015
410.8000____BASE OPS, MILDENHALL (AIRWAVE)_____SUFFOLK___DIG___KimmyJS19___Oct 2015
From http://ukscanningdirectory.co.uk/

What is interesting is the older listed frequency which is...

410.8000 BASE OPS APCO ENC/UNENC RAF MILDENHALL SUFFOLK DIG KimmyJS19 Jul 2006

Judging by the new listings... Airwave appears to be replacing any APCO that was being used by RAF.
Davie Boy

Postby jimh » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:22 pm

>They mostly use TETRA I believe?
I believe this to be correct: for the UK personnel at USAF bases, called RAF xyz for legal reasons, that are therefore secured by MOD Police.

>Two examples from the scanning directory (there are many others)...
Personally, I would be a bit suspicious of those two reports, unless someone can provide more evidence: if they are MOD Police, they will be using Airwave TETRA. If that's the case then the frequencies will be in the Airwave bands, and those 410Mhz freqs are not.

>Airwave appears to be replacing any APCO that was being used by RAF
Not sure: I believe all MOD Police use Airwave. I believe some also carry P25 radios too where they are located on USAF bases, where P25 use by the USAF personnel is prevalent.

I actually thought the RAF - on *actual* RAF bases in the UK - were going down the digital radio route with Tait radios (which means DMR or P25)
http://www.landmobile.co.uk/news/royal- ... -equipment

>Do anyone use p25 here in the UK
HMRC - at ports and airports - used to have P25 radios: not sure if that's still the case.
jimh

Postby SilverShadow » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:12 pm

jimh wrote:>Two examples from the scanning directory (there are many others)...
Personally, I would be a bit suspicious of those two reports, unless someone can provide more evidence: if they are MOD Police, they will be using Airwave TETRA. If that's the case then the frequencies will be in the Airwave bands, and those 410Mhz freqs are not.

Hi Jim. I can confirm those are accurate listings in the scanning directory, I didn't add them but do recall seeing an official Ofcom doc for them when they were entered but can't for the life of me think where it was. I'll do a little digging.
SilverShadow
Site Admin

Postby SilverShadow » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:15 pm

SilverShadow
Site Admin

Postby jimh » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:37 pm

OK many thanks for that document.

But isn't that just saying that there a number of airwave freqs made available in the 420mhz range for base, 410mhz for terminals. It then shows where use of those channels would interfere with existing users of that spectrum....largely USAF bases.

None of the freqs listed earlier match the airwave freqs in the document.

Where they're close they nearly match the airwave portable freqs, which are very difficult to detect with a scanner anyway.

And where they do match listings in the back of the document, the bandwidth of the transmissions are under the 25khz needed by airwave TETRA.

I actually see that document as further proof that these aren't airwave comms on these two frequencies ? Does that make sense?
jimh

Postby SilverShadow » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:10 pm

None of the freqs listed earlier match the airwave freqs in the document.

I think that's just down to how Ofcom list frequencies. For example on the WTR map view the frequency 167.125 MHz will show as 167.11875 MHz as frequencies on the map are shown by the band edge rather than actual center frequency used. That doc is similar as it shows 410.7625 and 410.7875 as Airwave channels but in the middle the actual user is on the centered frequency as would be expected of 410.7750.

But isn't that just saying that there a number of airwave freqs made available in the 420mhz range for base, 410mhz for terminals. It then shows where use of those channels would interfere with existing users of that spectrum....largely USAF bases.

Yep that's a really good point and I can't answer that one. I would guess that the certain bases have been allocated certain frequencies for their use but it could be to avoid interference in a similar way 70cm frequencies are protected around London. I didn't add those frequencies but I will check with the person that did and also do a bit more digging. :walkietalkie:
SilverShadow
Site Admin

Next

Return to DMR & Digital Modes