TYT DM-380 amateur band question

Forum for DMR, dPMR, NEXEDGE, Mototrbo, MARC, Tetra & all other DIGITAL modes

TYT DM-380 amateur band question

Postby G4RMT » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:22 am

I don't (as yet) use any of my digital radio gear on ham bands, but I did stick the code plug mentioned on this forum into one of them to see how the amateur digital system worked. Dialing up my local DMR repeater in Norwich, on an external aerial from 25 miles away (which works fine on the analogue repeater) nothing happens.

It's quite possible I'm just out of range. My question is a really basic one. I don't know if I'm in range at all? Nothing happens, but is this due to the radio not being able to hear the repeater, or is it hearing and not understanding? This really annoys me with digital on commercial bands. The meters are very poor - so have I missed something? Can you tell if you are in range, but nobody is using a repeater, anywhere, or is the signal too low so you're not in at all? On mobile phones, you know if you're connected - is there something like that I am missing. Pressing transmit brings back a beep after a few seconds. Listening with another radio suggests the signal is very low - but I can't be sure what is happening. Even more annoying with DMR, as opposed to pDMR, is that the pulsed transmission annoys the power meter, annoys the VSWR meter and frequency counter. It's possible the code plug has the wrong data in it, maybe it's an old one, or maybe even that all these changes I've been reading about mean it's no good any longer. Amateur digital seems to be rather like Morse Code was treated back in the days when I started. You were either 'in' the club, or 'out'. Digital forums rarely offer basic level help to newcomers, and make big assumptions on people new to it understanding. I'm very comfy with analogue and digital for work seems pretty trouble free - but I'm just migrating across using the same area and systems. The amateur world wide system seems amazingly complicated and there doesn't seem to be any real beginners advice. I hoped this new DMR-UK site would help with basic information, but the documents I got to read started talking about things that needed big preplanning. Simple stuff like once you make a contact, you then move to another talk group. Great, if the radio you are using has it programmed - but the process to understand how it actually works, and what is really going on, is kept a mystery.

Has anyone read a really good explanation of how to use DMR on amateur bands. As in in "start my selecting XYZ, then make a call. If they then ask you to do X, this means Y and you need to do Z to make it happen. Turning the knob and seeing all the groups on my localism repeater in the display, but not knowing why it is silent is annoying. Saying G4RMT test - is fine, but what if I'm in, and my voice appears all over the world, but I can't hear anything so don't reply? Is this what happens.

A bit like my local amazingly underused repeater. All you hear is echo link activated. G1ABC disconnected. I wonder if this too is the same problem, people just don't know how it should work, unless you live somewhere, where there is always plenty of activity that you can ear-wig and take in.

Very confusing. (the system, not the radios)
G4RMT

Re: TYT DM-380 amateur band question

Postby fuzzbutton » Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:42 pm

If you look on the website of the repeater you're trying to access, they probably have an activity monitor - your registered ID will be in the log if you made it onto the repeater.
fuzzbutton

Postby Im_Listening » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:19 pm

If your getting a constant tone after a few seconds whilst pressing the ptt, it means your out of range.
Whistler WS1098
Motorola SL4000
CS701 VHF DMR
Bumfu@k UV-5
Some old random toot
Im_Listening

Postby G4RMT » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:00 pm

Ah - looks like just too far then. Shame though, could have been interesting. Cheers guys.
G4RMT

Postby conman » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:11 am

Take a look at the DV4Mini. This can be connected to your PC and then you just use it as a hotspot via a Hand held or mobile, whichever you prefer. I don't use one myself as my local repeater is only 8 miles away but I know of a few other amateurs that are using them quite successfully. They are a bit limited Talkgroup wise but it would do the job until a repeater becomes live in your area :smiles:
conman

Return to DMR & Digital Modes