digital radio

Forum for DMR, dPMR, NEXEDGE, Mototrbo, MARC, Tetra & all other DIGITAL modes

digital radio

Postby greg1990 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:35 am

hi I am new to the digital world can any one tell me what encription means, shops on the new digital radio?

look forward to your response

many thanks

greg
greg1990

Re: digital radio

Postby iScottybotty » Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:11 pm

Hey Greg, I'm relatively new to Digital also but what I do know is that encryption is sometimes used on particular channels to prevent eavesdropping on confidential comms. It basically scrambles the modulation (voice) of any transmission to a handset that isn't on the encrypted net thus making the sound, sound a little bit like 'Donald Duck'. It's impossible to understand an encrypted conversation and I believe impossible to decode.

What I have heard on the grape-vine however is that most Shopwatch/ City Watch don't use the encrypted option on there handsets although this may be subject to area and not necasariky true as I'm yet to buy a capable handheld and find out myself.

In my particular area there is a major shopping complex where the control room uses DMR for all Security however the individual shops all have radios on an analogue channel (probably cause the handhelds are cheaper). So, if say a store security guard is calling the control room to request CCTV, I can hear that conversation but when the control room guides the complex security in, they use a DMR channel which I can't hear.

If your in the U.K and want to listen to the Police say, that to my understanding, and illegal in any case, is impossible so if your spending hours searching on the net for ways how, your better off investing your time on something else.

Hopefully the above helps, remember I'm only a beginner too but I hope I've managed to answer some of your questions.
iScottybotty

Postby iScottybotty » Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:17 pm

Forgot to say...

IF the shopping complex control room using DMR are using the encrypted option, again this would be impossible for me to hear, I think. I would need some kind of voice de-scrambler but I wouldn't know where to start.

I'm yet to decide whether to make a purchase myself of either an MD380 or 90 (you can crack these by firmware) or a Whistler scanner as it's the gamble of if/ when I do, whether or not I'd be able to listen anyway. I'd be gutted to pay £400+ for a Whistler only to discover people are using the encrypted option.

Wait a while and hopefully a more experienced member will pass by and reply. (Wink).
iScottybotty

Postby G4RMT » Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:51 pm

Scrambling on analogue radios usually swaps the bass and the treble ends around making the voice sound warmly and Donald Duck like - as mentioned.

Digital comms are quite simple to do a much better 'scrambling job' - it uses maths. Each chunk of voice is broken up and converted into a digital version, consisting of the usual 1's and zeros. At the other end they get converted back to real voices. However - its an easy job to use some ordinary number to modify the digital stream - something quite simple like adding 25 to each conversion - total rubbish at the other end, unless those radios deduct 25 from each sample. As this magic number can be hundreds of thousands of versions - the chances of finding a random one that was the right one are slim. If you had a mega powerful computer then it could try each one until it got it right - but that takes money and time, and only governments are the people who could do it in practice. In the software you get a choice of code number - most people use the default one, which serious hackers would try first. Make up your own, and it's pretty private really. Oddly, despite being avialable, on most digital radios, programmers seem to rarely bother!
G4RMT

Postby thelad » Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:22 am

Untill the numptys with the MD380s start txing over them and then they will activate them.
thelad

Postby moj » Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:32 pm

As the lad says and when they do finally all enhanced encrypt which I'm sure will be soon then there's noway any piece of software is available to descramble the digital audio so that's when we will be going back to the scanner dark ages again ;)
moj

Postby greg1990 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:32 am

thank you all for you kind reply's i am great full
greg1990

Postby Buxton » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:59 am

so would both of these scanner be able to listen to shopwatch & pubwatch without any modification

Whistler WS1098 Digital Desktop EZ Scan <-----> I am more interested in this one as its cheaper

Whistler TRX-2 Digital Desktop Scanner

Thanks
Buxton

Postby Metradio » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:08 am

Yes they will both work straight out of the box..

Mike
Connect Systems CS750 and CS800, Hytera PD-365, Motorola DP4600.
Raspberry Pi 2 and DV4Mini HotSpot.
AOR AR-DV1 Digital Voice Receiver / eSPY on ARD.
WS1088 / TRX-1 / Whistler Q /UBCD3600XLT / WTR Browser.
Metradio

Postby Buxton » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:04 pm

Thanks for that answer its just what i was hoping for.

my whistler is on order and paid for
Buxton

Next

Return to DMR & Digital Modes