Forum for DMR, dPMR, NEXEDGE, Mototrbo, MARC, Tetra & all other DIGITAL modes

Re: digital radio

Postby stanogs68 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:48 pm

cheers Redman
stanogs68

Postby redman99 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:34 pm

stanogs68 wrote:cheers Redman
No problem Stan.You will always find help on this group.If you get a problem & can't see how to do things, just ask.
We've all been in the same boat at one time or another..73's keith
Whistler TRX-2 BCD396T BCT15X CS-701 Plessey Vixen WinRadio G315 + other various old tat
redman99

Postby Romeo_Oscar_Delta » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:08 am

iScottybotty wrote:Forgot to say...

IF the shopping complex control room using DMR are using the encrypted option, again this would be impossible for me to hear, I think. I would need some kind of voice de-scrambler but I wouldn't know where to start.

I'm yet to decide whether to make a purchase myself of either an MD380 or 90 (you can crack these by firmware) or a Whistler scanner as it's the gamble of if/ when I do, whether or not I'd be able to listen anyway. I'd be gutted to pay £400+ for a Whistler only to discover people are using the encrypted option.

Wait a while and hopefully a more experienced member will pass by and reply. (Wink).

To here a scrambled DMR or analogue Radio you can do this buy using the same type radio but to try and listen using a different Transceiver is impossible at the moment as all models use deferent scrambling signals apart from some Chinese Transceivers. I know this through personal experience.
Romeo_Oscar_Delta

Postby G4RMT » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:28 am

Encryption is ALWAYS an option when commercial users programme clients equipment. It adds just a few seconds to the programming process, but for a number of reasons, the dealers often do not use it. I suspect that one of the most common practical reasons is that it makes subsequent repairs and servicing more difficult. It means that they have to keep more precise records, and it's just awkward when you have multiple clients. Somebody complains of interference or system problems, and before you can listen to check, you have to look up the encryption code you used and programme up a radio. Many of the suppliers use the same colour code on their systems so all they have to do is dial in the right frequency and then they are in - so the extra level of security can for them be a pain, while digits in their basic for defeat the casual listeners. Adding encryption is perhaps the correct choice, but few dealers seem to implement it unless specifically requested by customers.
G4RMT

Postby jimh » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:46 pm

Good advice from G4RMT there: I too would agree that enabling encryption on a Digital system is very simple - it's a matter of a few extra mouse clicks, plus a little bit of extra overhead in the ongoing maintenance/operation of the system. In my experience, encryption is rarely adopted where suppliers sell radios to a client. Where you do find encryption being used more than often is when the supplier operates the systems on behalf of the clients - so in analogue-speak, the sorts of suppliers that own and run the big Community Repeater networks. They're already running and servicing the radios day by day, so there's no overhead in enabling encryption. They're typically Capacity Plus networks too. The big networks run at airports also typically fall into this category.

Dare I say that as the knowledge and use of digital scanners becomes more widely known, and any myths about digital = private by default are debunked, then you may find some suppliers will offer to 'upgrade' their clients radios by 'adding' encryption - for an additional cost of course.

The cheapest and easiest way to determine if a DMR system is (a) encrypted, (b) has RAS enabled or (c) both is to run DSD+ on a Windows device with an SDR dongle/discriminator tapped scanner.
jimh

Previous

Return to DMR & Digital Modes