Baofeng DM-5R Tier ii upgrade available.

Forum for DMR, dPMR, NEXEDGE, Mototrbo, MARC, Tetra & all other DIGITAL modes

Baofeng DM-5R Tier ii upgrade available.

Postby iScottybotty » Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:21 am

I hear that a Tier ii update will be available shortly from Baofeng for the DM-5R at $10.

The handset is $65, cheapest DMR capable scanner/ transceiver on the market.
iScottybotty

Re: Baofeng DM-5R Tier ii upgrade available.

Postby thelad » Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:10 am

Scanner :sneer:
thelad

Postby iScottybotty » Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:52 am

Well it is, it has a scanner function so bottom line is it's a transceiver with scanner capeabilities.
iScottybotty

Postby eurofoz » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:28 am

There is according to a few articles I have seen on the web a Baofeng DM-5R Plus available, which is as the DM-5R,but with the Tier ii compatability factory installed. It is stated as being Motorbo
compatable. If true it could be used to monitor DMR systems, however you would still need to know he CC Slot and Talkgroup to be able to set it up for a particular system, still appears interesting if true.

http://qrznow.com/2017-baofeng-dmr-upgr ... o-2000mah/
eurofoz

Postby iScottybotty » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:34 pm

It is interesting but I've just read on Amazon that the "Plus" is still only Tier 1 and NOT Tier 2.

Although it states it can pick up Motorola, I'm not sure how if it can't detect Tier 2?

Would you know?
iScottybotty

Postby eurofoz » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:33 pm

I am not 100% sure to be honest, there seems to be a problem some users have when transmitting with the updated sotware or plus mdel where it transmitson both slots 1 and 2 at the same time. I however am only interested in using it to monitor a few DMR Systems ( if in fact it is compatable) I will keep looking on the net, there are several youtube videos on it, but not all in English, but you gan get a pretty good idea what is going on.
eurofoz

Postby iScottybotty » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:56 pm

Yes. Thank you for the recent post. Your interest is exactly the same as mine, i.e. to monitor comms and under no circumstances TX.

Fearful thing is though is if these are compatible, it's worrying that for £60 someone could potentially knacker the hobby for us all.

Please keep intouch, I'll update also if I find out anything new, same also for any other member who may want to contribute.
iScottybotty

Postby eurofoz » Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:52 am

You're welcome,likewise thanks for the reply, true it could possibly be missued, especially if fully programable via the front panel?, however as I read somewhere, sorry can't recall where at the moment, the DM-5R Plus may not work out a great deal cheaper than a TYT 380 or 390, which are proven to work well monitoring DMR Systems .Still any info I get I will post here.
eurofoz

Return to DMR & Digital Modes