Whistler TRX-2 DMR Digital Scanner

Forum for DMR, dPMR, NEXEDGE, Mototrbo, MARC, Tetra & all other DIGITAL modes

Re: Whistler TRX-2 DMR Digital Scanner

Postby Alfie » Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:00 pm

Thanks mate i managed to reset it and am slowly having some progress. i wish i had more time with this. the detachable head is pretty flimsey tbh its easily knocked.
Alfie

Postby G4RMT » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:17 pm

The problems Alfie has are pretty typical when manufacturers make anything mega clever, because the manuals cannot keep up and you need to work a great deal on trial and error, experimentation and general fiddling - which is of course how things used to work all the time, until people started expecting results for any product, out of the box, with no effort. I have at least 4 radios that seem to defy my attempt to make them do what I think is sensible everyday stuff. I don't have the patience I had in the past - having simply got used to turning things on and expecting results.

It's like when people buy the cheap 380 Digital radios that come empty and get really cross the dealer didn't know what they obviously wanted to do, and programmed it for them, filling it full of useful stuff. I've seen all sorts of complaints about the new digital scanners because they come full of US interesting stuff and nothing for UK users. We're not in america, so until the dealers catch up, which they will, eventually - it means a lot of research and typing.

Do we expect too much nowadays? My friend is complaining because her new internet fridge needs to be programmed - she thought it would just 'work'.
G4RMT

Postby g6sre » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:25 am

Hi
Had my TRX-2 for a couple of days now. Have been struggling a bit but with help from the guys at the facebook group have got as far as loading a scanlist from my bearcat and getting it scanning normal and dmr channels. Have to think in a whole new way compared to any previous scanner I've had. I have had problems sending data to the SD card when in the radio get a comms error and have to do it with the PC slot. Also the front panel is easily moved and loses contact Be grateful for any hints or tips
g6sre

Postby Alfie » Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:17 pm

G4RMT wrote:The problems Alfie has are pretty typical when manufacturers make anything mega clever, because the manuals cannot keep up and you need to work a great deal on trial and error, experimentation and general fiddling

The issues with the trx-2 for me is that it does not make clear sense at all. i started off setting it to uk bandplan and then i was stuck. There are no clear banks or channels so i filled up a scanlist. it was giving me one frequency. still perplexed i fluked setting up a conventional system and noticed the DMR box to tick each time by entering frequencies on after another. it was very confusing as i could not see them being stored into any channels and still do not know how to recal them. it also seems flimsy in that the flip off front can easily be knocked and every time you unplug it and plug it in somewhere else it gives that annoying "-Error Detected- Please contact Whistler service for assistance." is his unit perhaps a bit faulty ??

Just to point out this is my mates scanner who is married with kids and i have only been able to get minimal access to it and no pc connection. it has peeked my interest in it as it does sound good and better than my dv1.
Alfie

Postby moj » Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:59 pm

I've got a trx-2 aswell alfie and my faceoff head isn't flimsy fitting at all and locks firmly with the magnets that are built onto the backplate but like you say it does have a few annoying programming bugs but its still usable mate .

If you have saved any frequency's you have to scroll down to the browse objects menu and that's where they all save to by default .

I think what really annoys me is the spectrum sweeper search , I can't work out how to extend the delay before it starts off on its search again so I prob have about 2 seconds to log what its found .
moj

Postby redman99 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:30 pm

Alfie wrote:
G4RMT wrote:The problems Alfie has are pretty typical when manufacturers make anything mega clever, because the manuals cannot keep up and you need to work a great deal on trial and error, experimentation and general fiddling

The issues with the trx-2 for me is that it does not make clear sense at all. i started off setting it to uk bandplan and then i was stuck. There are no clear banks or channels so i filled up a scanlist. it was giving me one frequency. still perplexed i fluked setting up a conventional system and noticed the DMR box to tick each time by entering frequencies on after another. it was very confusing as i could not see them being stored into any channels and still do not know how to recal them. it also seems flimsy in that the flip off front can easily be knocked and every time you unplug it and plug it in somewhere else it gives that annoying "-Error Detected- Please contact Whistler service for assistance." is his unit perhaps a bit faulty ??

Just to point out this is my mates scanner who is married with kids and i have only been able to get minimal access to it and no pc connection. it has peeked my interest in it as it does sound good and better than my dv1.
any use for that error message >>> http://forums.radioreference.com/whistl ... -00-a.html
Whistler TRX-2 BCD396T BCT15X CS-701 Plessey Vixen WinRadio G315 + other various old tat
redman99

Postby Alfie » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:26 pm

moj wrote:If you have saved any frequency's you have to scroll down to the browse objects menu and that's where they all save to by default .

cheers moj :thumbup:
Alfie

Postby 26obiwan73hull » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:12 am

Hi Everyone. All silver surfers should get one of these.Certainly keeps the gray matter active.Has soon as one fires up the scanner via the USB ports. USB Power,Charging backup battery appears. Is this normal procedure.Also when I power on the new update is not found .

Regards shaky
26obiwan73hull

Postby moj » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:10 pm

That's normal mine still does that when I leave the usb cable attatched so that's not really a problem , as for the update I found it's easier going to whistler's download page and downloading it straight to your desktop and then put the scanner in usb app mode by pressing menu while switching the scanner on etc.

that allows you to send the cpu update to the unit but be warned it can be a nitemare and awkward to start the process , also update the trx 2 application itself before you do the cpu or dsp update ;)
moj

Postby 26obiwan73hull » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:03 pm

Hi moj. Thanks for your tips will try them out now.Tedious entering manually. Anymore tips will be gratefully accepted by me folks in aiding one to get this up an running.

Regards Shaky
26obiwan73hull

PreviousNext

Return to DMR & Digital Modes