Uniden UBC-3600XLT Scanner DMR

Forum for DMR, dPMR, NEXEDGE, Mototrbo, MARC, Tetra & all other DIGITAL modes

Uniden UBC-3600XLT Scanner DMR

Postby eurofoz » Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:11 pm

I have noticed in the past few days some of the well known UK Radio dealers are adverstising the Uniden UBC-3600XLT scanner as in stock which covers DMR,

Looks quite intersting, only around 5 pounds more expensive than the Whistler TRX 1 , but includes the prograaming cable and Nicads and has the excellent Uniden Close Call feature.

I have held off from the Whistler so far as reviews do not seem to overly good.

I looked on the Uniden website hoping to download the manual, but it doesn't seem to be on there strangley, I think I will visit a dealer in person and if possible compare the Whistler and Uniden side by side before commiting myself, but the Uniden appears better, at least on the face of it.
eurofoz

Re: Uniden UBC-3600XLT Scanner DMR

Postby Metradio » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:58 pm

I don't think any dealers in the UK have the scanner yet - or even the full spec on it..

Mike
Connect Systems CS750 and CS800, Hytera PD-365, Motorola DP4600.
Raspberry Pi 2 and DV4Mini HotSpot.
AOR AR-DV1 Digital Voice Receiver / eSPY on ARD.
WS1088 / TRX-1 / Whistler Q /UBCD3600XLT / WTR Browser.
Metradio

Postby eurofoz » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:23 pm

I only noticed it yesterday, Martyn Lynch, Moonraker and Nevada are showing it as in stock on their websites.
eurofoz

Postby redman99 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:05 pm

eurofoz wrote:I have noticed in the past few days some of the well known UK Radio dealers are adverstising the Uniden UBC-3600XLT scanner as in stock which covers DMR,

Looks quite intersting, only around 5 pounds more expensive than the Whistler TRX 1 , but includes the prograaming cable and Nicads and has the excellent Uniden Close Call feature.

I have held off from the Whistler so far as reviews do not seem to overly good.

I looked on the Uniden website hoping to download the manual, but it doesn't seem to be on there strangley, I think I will visit a dealer in person and if possible compare the Whistler and Uniden side by side before commiting myself, but the Uniden appears better, at least on the face of it.
I think plus the cost of the firmware upgrade. A friend in the US has upgraded(paid for) his 436, it is only beta at the moment & is not impressed.
I find the TRX-2, only a home version of the TRX-1 brilliant on DMR.the recording feature is excellent & shows a lot of info about the recorded call.
Yes the current TRX 1 & 2 do have minor anoyances, I'm sure these will soon be addressed.As with Whistler the Unidne built in databases will have no use outside the US.From info on Martin Lynch's site it fals to say all upgrades are paid for.This is quite a common practice with the later Uniden products.Can't see then being free in the UK.I like & use Uniden but Whistler works for me too.They are not plug & play radio's ! Keith
Whistler TRX-2 BCD396T BCT15X CS-701 Plessey Vixen WinRadio G315 + other various old tat
redman99

Postby eurofoz » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:23 pm

Interesting comments Keith,

From the various info on the dealers websites it would appaer that DMR is included "out the box" but I will contact the various delaers to make sure, I realise that these scanners are a completely different concept from traditional scanners with banks,I have been using Uniden scanners with the dynamic memory system since they first appeared now, so that might perhaps help a little, I am also ok with programming radios via PC in general.

As I say I will if possible visit a dealer and compare the Whistler and Uniden DMR models side by side and confrim 100% the specs to make sure, before buying.

Still nice to see scanners with DMR are now available,
eurofoz

Postby thelad » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:00 am

Radioworld in the Midlads have the Uniden in stock, im unsure how good the closecall is with DMR.
thelad

Postby jimh » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:51 am

I have tested both BCD436HP and TRX1 models. I assume the 3600 will be similar in performance to the 436.

Here are my views (...and I'm sure others will have their own opinions, to which they are of course entitled to air):
- Overall, the Uniden is a superior scanner for functionality/ease of use vs the TRX: The Uniden feels like a 'proper' high-end scanner: I'd say slightly more complex than a Uniden 3500 to use, but with DMR. The Whistler feels a bit more like a prototype.
- The software for programming the Uniden is vastly superior. The Whistler EZScan software is pretty dire.
- The Whistler is really only geared up for scanning but not searching - in comparison, it has VERY limited tools and functionality to make it easy to search for new channels. Don't forget that these scanners are geared towards the US markets and come with a regularly updated US database to scan: so they are Scanners. I know many folks here will use their receiver for a combination of scanning and searching.
- The startup time/time to load a reasonable sized scan list in the Whistler can be anywhere between 1-2 minutes. The equivalent in the 436 is a few seconds.
- The Whistler is slightly more sensitive than the Uniden. For those familiar with the Uniden 3500, I would say the 436 is similar to it, perhaps a little bit better.
- Both are good at decoding conventional DMR repeater signals, with excellent voice decode quality.
- The Uniden is superior for properly decoding and following the various types of DMR signalling (Trunked, XPT, TIII etc).
- However, the Whistler is highly superior for DMR Simplex/uplink signals where the Uniden often struggles, in particular on VHF channels.
- Relative to the TRX-1, the 436 uses up the batteries more than the TRX1 (but then it has 4 of them!)
- The UK bandplan for the TRX still isn't correct: it means there are some VHF channels that cannot be received/decoded.
- You cannot change the modulation or frequency step size on the TRX.
- I prefer the ease with which recording is enabled on the TRX (it just works), but the recording capabilities and ease of playback on the Uniden are superior.
- The Whistler decodes NXDN. The 436 doesn't (yet - and might not ever get an upgrade to decode it)
- Uniden's Close call will DETECT pretty much every signal type (DMR/NXDN/analogue) except DMR simplex. That's actually no different to any Uniden with Close Call. The difference with the 436 is that it now decodes DMR Close Call hits. The TRX just does a very fast spectrum search, so will normally hit on all signal types eventually (assuming step size/modulation are ok) including DMR simplex. In fairness to the Uniden, Close Call is highly superior, and if you knew which frequency band the DMR simplex radio was on, you could just as easily do a band search to find it.

In summary, I'd say neither is perfect. But I really prefer the Uniden, and end up using the Whistler to scan some frequencies that I've found using the Uniden.

Hope this helps.
jimh

Postby Metradio » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:16 pm

Thanks for that jimh..

Mike
Connect Systems CS750 and CS800, Hytera PD-365, Motorola DP4600.
Raspberry Pi 2 and DV4Mini HotSpot.
AOR AR-DV1 Digital Voice Receiver / eSPY on ARD.
WS1088 / TRX-1 / Whistler Q /UBCD3600XLT / WTR Browser.
Metradio

Postby eurofoz » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:13 pm

Very Interesting jimh, thnaks,

I actually have a Uniden 330T Which I have had since 2004, it is more a less a Uniden 3500 with the addition of analouge trunking, which it does very well l(I use it when outside the UK at times). Do you think familiarity with the use of this would help with using the 3600 at first?

I am leaning towards the Uniden at present, also it looks a physically slightly a better size, I will not be able to buy until around mid March, due to being abroad, so perhps a bit more info, reviews , comments etc will be available by then.
eurofoz

Postby jimh » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:05 pm

eurofoz wrote: I actually have a Uniden 330T Which I have had since 2004, it is more a less a Uniden 3500 with the addition of analouge trunking, which it does very well l(I use it when outside the UK at times). Do you think familiarity with the use of this would help with using the 3600 at first?.

Familiarity with any of the Uniden DMA scanners will be a massive advantage if you go for either Whistler or one of these new Unidens. I'd probably get a bit lost without having that experience. The 436 (and therefore lets assume the 3600) DOES take some getting used to, especially around the use of a few of the keypad functions.

One thing I haven't mentioned yet: at the minute you can't register a non-US Uniden model with My.Uniden and that's a critical step for buying the keys for digital upgrades. That's probably a good thing for the 3600 (as it makes it more likely that it comes with DMR out of the box). But if Uniden do add further digital mode upgrades (they haven't said they will or won't) then these might not extend to the 3600.
jimh

Next

Return to DMR & Digital Modes