baofeng dmr

Forum for DMR, dPMR, NEXEDGE, Mototrbo, MARC, Tetra & all other DIGITAL modes

baofeng dmr

Postby greg » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:11 am

hi All

is the baofeng dmr 5 a real digital radio? because I can't seem to be able to listen to any digital radio frequencies is there something I am doing wrong?

if anyone can help I would be great full

many thanks

greg
greg

Re: baofeng dmr

Postby thelad » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:16 am

What are you trying to hear? Give more details and people may help you! What are you doing with the radio? How are you programming it?
thelad

Postby greg » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:57 pm

hi the lad

I am trying to listen to digital radio frequencies my radio can pick up the signal but I can't hear them is there something I am doing wrong? I am trying to listen to the shop watch in st austell but I can't hear them but they use digital

look forward to your response

many thanks

greg
greg

Postby Metradio » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:14 pm

What flavour of digital- DMR, NXDN.. ?
In the clear or encrypted.. ?

Mike
Connect Systems CS750 and CS800, Hytera PD-365, Motorola DP4600.
Raspberry Pi 2 and DV4Mini HotSpot.
AOR AR-DV1 Digital Voice Receiver / eSPY on ARD.
WS1088 / TRX-1 / Whistler Q /UBCD3600XLT.
Metradio

Postby greg » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:48 am

hi mike

my radio is a baofenf dmr 5 radio I am trying to program the radio using the cable but no luck when I scan though the radio it sayes :mode: and it sayes either fm or dmr so I click on dmr and is has a little d on the screen what does that mean?

many thanks

greg
greg

Postby Metradio » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:06 am

No idea what the "d" means...
My question was are you sure of the digital mode being used, is it DMR or NXDN ? and is it in the clear or encrypted ?

Mike
Metradio

Postby G4RMT » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:02 pm

Greg - you've posted loads of things about your problems in lots of topics, and everyone asks for details to help you, and all you do is ask the same question again.

First thing - are you sure the signal you are receiving is the correct 'brand' of digital? There are lots of different types, but like betamax and VHS, they do not all work on every radio. You have a DMR radio, but as Metro Radio said - not every digital noise you hear can be decoded, Many people run a cheap SDR system on their computer which will identify what kind of signal it is, and also importantly NOT identify some things you hear, saving you wasting time trying to get voices to pop out. Even when you do determine what a signal is, and although they sound similar, you can after a while listen to a signal and make a pretty good prediction. None of the proper radios, unlike scanners, tell you why they are silent - so many things can cause this - colour codes, groups, encryption etc - so you have a lottery number thing on guessing the right paramaters.

Maybe if you tell us what the frequency is you are listening to, and where in the country you are - somebody will be able to indemnify it for you, but to be honest, I have numerous digital radios of all sorts of makes - and in my local area, I have only successfully got one of them identified and listenable to. That was because SDR and the digital decoder plug in identified it to be nexedge and I have some of those, and got the right thing programmed in on perhaps the 10th guess or so. This is a killer - changing one parameter, then waiting 30 seconds to try it, then after a failed decode, trying the next one, time and time again.

We genuinely want to help you, but you have to give us something to use.

As to the little 'd' - doesn't this just display on a channel that is programmed for digital, rather than FM?
G4RMT

Postby moj » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:14 pm

Well if the frequency is still correct on the forums list it says its on vhf so I wonder if he's searching the uhf band and he's prob best with a digital scanner especially if he's the type of a guy who try's programming in the tx frequency aswell without understanding how much drama it causes etc .

I don't know anybody in st Austell so I can't confirm what there using now so like you lot say a bit more investigation is needed .
moj

Postby Metradio » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:58 pm

I learned about a simpler way of monitoring the local shopwatch and not having to worry about programming or anything technical.
Was watching one of the reality TV programs about peoplel on benifits, one, a prolific shoplifter stole a local shopwatch radio :biggrin:

Mike
Metradio

Postby greg » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:46 pm

hi all

thank you for all your information when I program frequencies in to the radio and I am using analog there is no D appearing but when I go onto the other frequency the D does appears strange?

does that mean the frequency with the D is digital and the other frequency without the D is analog?

many thanks

greg
greg

Next

Return to DMR & Digital Modes