Re wintelive and tetra decoding help !

Forum for DMR, dPMR, NEXEDGE, Mototrbo, MARC, Tetra & all other DIGITAL modes

Re: Re wintelive and tetra decoding help !

Postby moj » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:41 pm

Now this is curious cause I can't see anywhere in the flowchart where it shows my rtl sdr yet the fft graph fluctuates but its as if its not receiving any details, also I noticed if I try scanning all 10 mux channels the flowchart will freeze after a bit and won't restart so my question is where on the flowchart can I change my sdr source ?

I also have a funcube dongle pro plus but this doesn't seem to work at all with the program even tho it says its compatible ?? are you getting any closer eurofoz ?
moj

Postby eurofoz » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:26 pm

Hi moj,
I had everything working last night, although MSYS2 was extermly slow to connect and show the receivers in the green bar at the base of the shell,and my set up is very tempremental, on starting GRC this morning the project simply would not laod any more, I did a complete reinstall of everything, now the project loads and after the FFT window opens and starts to show activity I open MYSY 2, after entering "muxrec 10 "nothing is happening on some occasions, no error message, but MSYS2 is not connecting and showing the receivers, I need to close MSYS2 an reopen and try again with the muxrec 10 command.

I will carry out the suggestions of milly, when I have time, as follows-

'I'd suggest you make a new grc file using that one as template.

Carefully delete four of the receiver chains. Then edit the variables that refer to ten receivers (double click on the boxes and edit). When done File > Save As and save the grc with a new name.
To cut down a little more of the processor loading you can delete the FFT block (wxgui_fftsink2_0) if necessary (either before you execute the project or permanently). It is only there as a visual clue that your dongle is functioning.'
eurofoz

Postby milly » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:16 am

moj wrote:Now this is curious cause I can't see anywhere in the flowchart where it shows my rtl sdr

If you double-click the osmocom Source block you can configure the receiver. The FCD has been supported by GNURadio for a couple of years. I have no experience of using them. Have a read of the gnuradio documentation - specifically the parts regarding use of the osmocom source block in GRC for any settings that are specific to the FCD.

moj wrote: the fft graph fluctuates but its as if its not receiving any details, also I noticed if I try scanning all 10 mux channels the flowchart will freeze after a bit and won't restart so my question is where on the flowchart can I change my sdr source ?

If the FFT is showing activity then the receiver IS connected correctly and working. It's there purely as an indication of that.
If things slow down when you scan with ten receivers then in all likelyhood your computer isn't up to the job. Reduce the number of receivers in your project. Also ensure you don't have any pointless software like Norton running. As you seem happy to mess with task manager you could reduce the windows/other processes to the bare minimum.
If the audio isn't getting to Tmux/wintelive then the required UDP ports might be being blocked by a firewall (though you allowed local access when you first ran python, socat and wintelive)

eurofoz wrote:Hi moj,
I had everything working last night, although MSYS2 was extermly slow to connect and show the receivers in the green bar at the base of the shell,and my set up is very tempremental, on starting GRC this morning the project simply would not laod any more, I did a complete reinstall of everything, now the project loads and after the FFT window opens and starts to show activity I open MYSY 2, after entering "muxrec 10 "nothing is happening on some occasions, no error message, but MSYS2 is not connecting and showing the receivers, I need to close MSYS2 an reopen and try again with the muxrec 10 command.

There is something VERY strange if the software is working one day then not the next. Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results isn't going to help. If the installation is correct (the files that need to be in specific places in those places) then it is not the problem. Slowness is inevitable with your processor (and I suspect you will have things running that really don't need to be as is usually the case with budget equipment).

Perhaps it would make sense for both to create a grc flow with a single receiver and use that for testing. When you get things running you can then increase the number.
milly

Postby eurofoz » Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:52 pm

I think that probably my problem is the slowness of my computor as suggested in previous posts, now I can open GRC, The flow chart blocks appear, I can run the project, the FFT Window opens and shows activity,I can open MSYS2 -although it opens slowly, but then shows the 10 receivers in the green bar at the bottom, along with activity in the shelllines of *** AFC 0.032134 or similar, I can then open WINTELIVE, tune the frequecy range and connect, the Wintelive Monitor window apperas,I can tune the baseband and set a receiver to do a baseband scan, which starts to show as taking place ,but no daat or voice is seen even though I know I am tuned to a known strong tetra signal, it is if the siganl is not asctually connected to wintellive.
eurofoz

Postby moj » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:04 pm

Sounds exactly like the error that I am getting eurofoz and due to millys help were getting closer to figuring out the problem eurofoz
moj

Postby eurofoz » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:45 pm

If you have a look at the posts in this link moj there seems to be a few people who have similar problems http://www.rtl-sdr.com/wintelive-tutori ... mentation/ I am now
sure my pc is too slow for 10 receivers, so I have reduced the number of receivers to 4, by disabling the rest, simply right click over the flow chart blocks relative to the receivers you wish to disable and click disable, it is necessarry to disable all the 4 blocks in the row relative to the receiver you wish to disable, not just the first, then change the value in the " ID- telive_receiver_channels" block on the left hand side of the GRC to equal the numbers of receivers you have remaining in use, save the changes.
When you next start MSYS2 enter muxrec 4 or whatever the number of receivers now is.

I also close the FFT Graph after it starts up,

The whole programm now runs much faster.,

I would assume disabling the receivers as I have described would have the same effect as delating them entirely?

Not sure if this may work for you, or if 4 recievers would be ok in your area?
eurofoz

Postby welshevo » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:31 pm

hey folks installed everything to the letter on curlyboy readme, however GNU radio 10telive grc crashes when i run it? python error? now when i press run in the bottom left it doesnt mention my RTL SDR stick? but all drivers installed etc is this why its crashing out GNU? everything else appears to be working as it should? how do i get gnu to know my rtl is actually there if it is the issue??
welshevo

Postby moj » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:38 pm

Can you take some pics welshevo of your flowchart cause even on my setup I can't see it saying rtl as the source in any of the boxes etc which seems to be exactly what your saying yet I'm def receiving something when I transmit nearby but its still not decoding for some stupid reason ?
moj

Postby milly » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:04 pm

moj wrote:Can you take some pics welshevo of your flowchart cause even on my setup I can't see it saying rtl as the source in any of the boxes etc which seems to be exactly what your saying yet I'm def receiving something when I transmit nearby but its still not decoding for some stupid reason ?

The osmocom Source block in the flow is what communicates with your rtl-sdr dongle as per the original ten receiver flow from the archive (and the modified versions I sent).

When you execute the flow you do see the sources that are built in to the osmocom version you are using followed by the type it has tuned.
milly

Postby moj » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:59 pm

Thanks Milly , I watched the video and also tried replacing with your modified files and it does everything its supposed to do except start picking up the tetra signals and show the black bars in the scan below so we still have something amiss mate , I know it's something or nothing tho due to it not crashing and just not noting any tetra signals like it shows on the video and fills the box with the details found etc

I've tried two different rtl dongles and the exact thing happens where its not able to receive the bars to start decoding audio etc ?
moj

PreviousNext

Return to DMR & Digital Modes