Re wintelive and tetra decoding help !

Forum for DMR, dPMR, NEXEDGE, Mototrbo, MARC, Tetra & all other DIGITAL modes

Re wintelive and tetra decoding help !

Postby moj » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:54 pm

Hi guys !

I did a bit of research after watching the tetra decoding videos on youtube and somehow it was working fine till I had to restart my laptop , so I started from scratch again and not been able to get it working again ?

is there a better step by step quide that explains exactly what folder goes into what etc and I think the problem lies in the msys64 folder cause it either doesn't see a tetra rx file or once wintelive is started it wont connect to either my funcube dongle pro plus or the rtl dongle yet it did last nite before the laptop was switched off ?

thanks in advance and its not like me to get stuck so its annoying me now what I'm doing wrong !
moj

Re: Re wintelive and tetra decoding help !

Postby moj » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:51 pm

Ok further to the last post I finally got it working but I'm still having the problem where I get to this line on the original instructions !

1) Download GNU Radio for Windows from http://www.gcndevelopment.com/gnuradio/downloads.htm
and install
2) Copy contents of gnuradio_mod folder to c:\Program Files\GNURadio-3.7\
3) Download and install M-SYS2 from https://sourceforge.net/projects/msys2/ and install
4) Copy contents of msys_root to your M-SYS2 installation directory
5) Open M-SYS2 shell and execute "pacman -S socat tmux"
6) Install VC 2015 runtime

Use:
------
1) Open GRC project (more can be got from the original telive github)
2) Use the Project/Execute to run the project from the GRC
- OR -
If you had headless (without GUI) project, use Project/Generate option
to generate top_block.py file in the GRC project directory.
Then open GNURadio Command Prompt from Start menu, the use this command
c:\Program Files\GNURadio-3.7\gr-python27\python.exe -u c:\path\to\grc\project\top_block.py
This will enhance performance.
3) Open M-SYS2 shell and execute command "muxrec X" where X is the number of receivers you want to open
4) Open wintelive.exe and connect
5) That's it, should work.

Ok heres where I'm getting stuck , where it tells you to type this into the gnuradio command prompt
" If you had headless (without GUI) project, use Project/Generate option
to generate top_block.py file in the GRC project directory.
Then open GNURadio Command Prompt from Start menu, the use this command
c:\Program Files\GNURadio-3.7\gr-python27\python.exe -u c:\path\to\grc\project\top_block.py
This will enhance performance. "

it throws up an error and says it cant find the line etc so I just end up clicking on the next step with msys muxrec etc and the program starts but not been able to receive any audio yet ?
moj

Postby milly » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:09 pm

blah blah blah...all installed

To use

1) Start GRC (GNURadio Companion - the graphical interface)
2) File > Open Recent > (you should see the project you used yesterday) - this will open the project ...\wintelive_10channels.grc (or whatever you used)*
3) Run > Execute

4) Open M-Sys shell and run muxrec 10 (or however many you want)
5) Start wintelive
6) enter the freq range of interest and click connect

* If it's not in the recent list then file open and navigate to wherever you have the grc project saved (ie. standard windows way to find and open a file)

.....or do it the good old-fashioned way from the command prompt which those instructions you quote sort of mix in

Just done this twice on an old laptop (using a windows 7 VM and a windows 10 VM) with a reboot for good measure. Worked OK so hopefully it's just those confusing instructions you had which are the problem?
milly

Postby moj » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:25 pm

I'll have another try , thanks for that milly also do I need that topblock to be running to receive cause even tho I know there tetra signals nearby I,m picking up nothing as of yet ?
moj

Postby milly » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:46 pm

Once you are connected you'll have a whole bunch of windows.
One, near the top of the pile, with the ten (or whatever) receivers in it. Final column says 'off'. Click on the first one and you'll get options to autotune or bandscan. Change that first one to autotune. That will scan the whole range you entered before (say 380-400MHz) and show the channels with activity along the bottom.
Look at the stripes on that scan and pick a point that is quite dense. Use the freq at the centre of that dense bit and enter it as the Baseband Frequency in the box at the top of that same window.
Now click on Tune New (same window still) and it will use the ten closest to your 'baseband freq' to tune your ten (or whatever) receivers. You should start seeing activity in the left section of that window which relates to the freqs that are active.

I've not delved deeper - some of those tuned freqs won't be active and you can force individual receivers to retune. You can also use one or more purely for bandscans whilst the others are already receiving data.
milly

Postby milly » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:53 pm

Sorry, didn't reply to the other part of your query. You only need to generate the python script if you are running from the command prompt. If running from the gui (as per my post) you will use the grc file. You don't use both.
milly

Postby eurofoz » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:41 pm

Hi all,
I am usually fairly OK with Windows PCs ,for example I have got SDR+ Working with dsd+ no problems at all. I know I have a good working dongle and strong Tetra signlas localy, but setting this Wintelive has got me stumped, despite watching the videos and working through the instructios.

I am trying to set up wintelive in Wndows 10,

I have gotGNU RADIO downloaded / done the following as per the ' Read me"
Install:
---------
1) Download GNU Radio for Windows from http://www.gcndevelopment.com/gnuradio/downloads.htm
and install
2) Copy contents of gnuradio_mod folder to c:\Program Files\GNURadio-3.7\
3) Download and install M-SYS2 from https://sourceforge.net/projects/msys2/ and install
4) Copy contents of msys_root to your M-SYS2 installation directory
5) Open M-SYS2 shell and execute "pacman -S socat tmux"
6) Install VC 2015 runtime

I can open GNU Radio companion ok, this is where I get confused, a window opens on top of the main GNU interface with "Save a flow graph to a file" when I try to start GNU Radio compaion, what am I supposed to do here?

When I enter "muxrec X" with a number for the X in M-SYS2, I simply get "command not found' and nothing else happens,

When I open and try to connect wintelive I immediatley get an error message +" Impoosible to contact remote server"

Delated everything and tried again, but still the same problems,

Not sure if I am completely missunderstanding the instructions and am way off, or possibly making a simple error or omitting something?,

I would be grateful for any comments/sugggestions or help, Thanks in advance.
eurofoz

Postby moj » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:49 am

You sound like your in a similar boat to me eurofoz :) , I have everything working but I'm not receiving no audio or data from any tetra frequency's , I even made sure by trying a dmo channel on my handheld and again hearing nothing at all on the frequency that had been programmed in ?

the difference with mine tho is I'm using windows 7 64 bit and the mux command works for me fine but the c:\Program Files\GNURadio-3.7\gr-python27\python.exe -u c:\path\to\grc\project\top_block.py This will enhance performance. thows up an error everytime so I,m not sure if that's stopping me hear the audio etc ??

Also thanks for the recent file tip menu it does make it slightly easier to get back onto the program but for now this no audio or receiving mnc details etc is stumping me ..
moj

Postby milly » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:09 pm

moj wrote:You sound like your in a similar boat to me eurofoz :) , I have everything working but I'm not receiving no audio or data from any tetra frequency's , I even made sure by trying a dmo channel on my handheld and again hearing nothing at all on the frequency that had been programmed in ?

Which audio? There is no unencrypted audio to hear in your neighbourhood? Or do you mean no audio at all? You'll only get audio once at the final stage of having tuned the individual receivers within wintelive

moj wrote:the difference with mine tho is I'm using windows 7 64 bit and the mux command works for me fine but the c:\Program Files\GNURadio-3.7\gr-python27\python.exe -u c:\path\to\grc\project\top_block.py This will enhance performance. thows up an error everytime so I,m not sure if that's stopping me hear the audio etc ??

As I said, you don't need to use that script unless you are running GNURadio from the command line. Most people will use the GUI (GNURadio Companion) and the grc project (which generates the required code scripts when it is executed)

moj wrote:Also thanks for the recent file tip menu it does make it slightly easier to get back onto the program but for now this no audio or receiving mnc details etc is stumping me ..
Last edited by milly on Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
milly

Postby milly » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:49 pm

eurofoz wrote:I can open GNU Radio companion ok, this is where I get confused, a window opens on top of the main GNU interface with "Save a flow graph to a file" when I try to start GNU Radio compaion, what am I supposed to do here?

I am also confused - I don't understand what something called SDR+ has to do with any of this (nor any idea what sdr+ is)
You say you can open GRC then you say you can't run it? If it's open you are running it!

Refer to my brief notes earlier - within the companion you need to load the project file. This will have the .grc file extension (for example "wintelive_10channels.grc" which you have downloaded). Once loaded you need to execute that project.

eurofoz wrote:When I enter "muxrec X" with a number for the X in M-SYS2, I simply get "command not found' and nothing else happens,

check that you have muxrec in the msys2 subdirectory \usr\bin

eurofoz wrote:When I open and try to connect wintelive I immediatley get an error message +" Impoosible to contact remote server"

Blindly continuing to do things after errors at each step is somewhat futile.
milly

Next

Return to DMR & Digital Modes