Re wintelive and tetra decoding help !

Forum for DMR, dPMR, NEXEDGE, Mototrbo, MARC, Tetra & all other DIGITAL modes

Re: Re wintelive and tetra decoding help !

Postby moj » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:39 pm

I should of explained a bit better milly , there is unencrypted tetra in use near me which I've confirmed and like I said I also used my own mth800 radio which is in the clear and it wasn't picking up those transmissions or any details of any tetra use nearby either so something is def amiss ?

As you rightly said I'm using the run_grc batchfile but on the instructions that I posted it says to create the top block with that script on the gnu command line to make decoding faster which throws up that error if its executed so I assumed that might of been the fault of no audio or signal .

In theory if everything was correct when I transmitted then the fft chart would of shown the received signal at its peak and decoded some kind of audio and mnc details would of appeared but its doing neither sadly , hope that explains it a bit easier and I checked the driver for the dongle was installed ok and that it worked correctly in sdrsharp so it has to be a software issue , I'm guessing ?
moj

Postby milly » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:10 pm

moj wrote:I should of explained a bit better milly , there is unencrypted tetra in use near me which I've confirmed and like I said I also used my own mth800 radio which is in the clear and it wasn't picking up those transmissions or any details of any tetra use nearby either so something is def amiss ?

So at that point is everything else running and looking correct? ie. GRC companion with the grc file you need executed? You may need to alter some variables within the block diagram which I don't (eg. ppm correction ...it will work without this being correct but obviously displayed frequencies won't be accurate)
The FFT window should show activity (it's unsquelched so even if there is no modulated signal there will be movement which is just representing the noise within the time domain)
muxrec running?
wintelive running and set to the freq range you want? Connected?
At this point you still wont have heard any audio. That won't happen until you have gone as far as the tuning I mentioned earlier.

moj wrote:As you rightly said I'm using the run_grc batchfile but on the instructions that I posted it says to create the top block with that script on the gnu command line to make decoding faster which throws up that error if its executed so I assumed that might of been the fault of no audio or signal .

That is why I said the instructions you worked to are confusing. Those instructions would have been better written as two sets - one for command line and one for gui because you don't need to use both.
There is no need to run that python script unless you are running the whole thing from a command line. You can think of GRC as a visual script generator - you add the radio blocks you want to use in a visual way similar to writing a flow chart. So you have input blocks and processing blocks and output blocks. The grc file is a saved file of that flow diagram and when executed that flow diagram is converted to the scripts that each block represents. The author of wintelive has done the block diagram for you.

moj wrote:In theory if everything was correct when I transmitted then the fft chart would of shown the received signal at its peak and decoded some kind of audio and mnc details would of appeared but its doing neither sadly , hope that explains it a bit easier and I checked the driver for the dongle was installed ok and that it worked correctly in sdrsharp so it has to be a software issue , I'm guessing ?

I think I'm going to have to install a windows VM again and go through it more slowly myself as I didn't have any problem getting to the point where I could see and hear the activity
milly

Postby eurofoz » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:06 pm

milly wrote:
eurofoz wrote:I can open GNU Radio companion ok, this is where I get confused, a window opens on top of the main GNU interface with "Save a flow graph to a file" when I try to start GNU Radio compaion, what am I supposed to do here?

I am also confused - I don't understand what something called SDR+ has to do with any of this (nor any idea what sdr+ is)
You say you can open GRC then you say you can't run it? If it's open you are running it!

Sorry SDR + Should have read SDRSharp, I realise that is an unrelated piece of software, the comment was just to point out that I have got SDRSharp working with DSD+ So I have at least some experience in setting up radio related software.

Refer to my brief notes earlier - within the companion you need to load the project file. This will have the .grc file extension (for example "wintelive_10channels.grc" which you have downloaded). Once loaded you need to execute that project.

eurofoz wrote:When I enter "muxrec X" with a number for the X in M-SYS2, I simply get "command not found' and nothing else happens,

check that you have muxrec in the msys2 subdirectory \usr\bin

Yes it is there

eurofoz wrote:When I open and try to connect wintelive I immediatley get an error message +" Impoosible to contact remote server"

Blindly continuing to do things after errors at each step is somewhat futile.

Will keep trying, thanks for the comments.
eurofoz

Postby milly » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:38 pm

Right, using SDR# and dsd+ isn't really the same sort of thing as running wintelive but I appreciate what you mean.

As I said, start at the beginning. You said you can open GRC.

Do so and open the required project.
Execute the project.

When you have got that fettled we can move on to the command in msys2 as you have done something wrong with that as well.
milly

Postby eurofoz » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:56 pm

[quote="milly"]Right, using SDR# and dsd+ isn't really the same sort of thing as running wintelive but I appreciate what you mean.

As I said, start at the beginning. You said you can open GRC.

Do so and open the required project.
Execute the project.

When you have got that fettled we can move on to the command in msys2 as you have done something wrong with that as well.[/q

Again thanks for your help,

I have now got the following in the bottom left hand part of GRC-

"Executing: C:\Program Files\GNURadio-3.7\gr-python27\python.exe -u C:\Users\Philip\Desktop\Tet\wintelive\top_block.py"

And a window, which is completely blank "Top Block" appears.

Still no luck with MSYS2 Again simply a messasge "command not found",

Apologies if I am making a basic error or slow, I am very much from the pre computor age, but trying to learn and really appreciate the help of yourself or any other member of the forum.
eurofoz

Postby milly » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:26 pm

That doesn't look correct, something is missing from the installation/organisation

When FIRST run
The main gui area should be mostly empty but with a top_block titled 'Options' (and possibly a single variable box, can't remember)
The bottom left part of the gui window should show something like:
<<<Welcome to......>>>
Block paths:
....\...\blocks

Then you will use the File menu to open the grc project.

You will now have a second tabbed area in focus. It will contain all of the elements of the project.
The bottom left area should now also have two more lines:
Loading: ".....\....\wintelive_10channels.grc"
>>> Done

Then you need to execute the project (easiest way is from the 'play' type button on the ribbon bar but you can use the Run menu)

after a moment the FFT window should pop up and show a moving line (ie. noise) and the bottom left window will have more text starting with:
Generating '.....\.....\top_block.py'

Executing: .....\.....\python.exe -u ....\....\top_block.py

I've not included the exact paths - so where I have put ...\...\ you will see a drive letter and path
milly

Postby moj » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:49 pm

I'll try and post a video of what I'm seeing and it will prob explain itself better , but I do have the moving wave fft but its like its not receiving the signal so my next move is to look at the block options available and see if that changes anything ;)

Thanks for the explanation regarding the python script , I understand what you were meaning now milly ...
moj

Postby eurofoz » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:18 pm

milly wrote:That doesn't look correct, something is missing from the installation/organisation

When FIRST run
The main gui area should be mostly empty but with a top_block titled 'Options' (and possibly a single variable box, can't remember)
The bottom left part of the gui window should show something like:
<<<Welcome to......>>>
Block paths:
....\...\blocks

Then you will use the File menu to open the grc project.

You will now have a second tabbed area in focus. It will contain all of the elements of the project.
The bottom left area should now also have two more lines:
Loading: ".....\....\wintelive_10channels.grc"
>>> Done

All until this point is what is appearing/happening

Then you need to execute the project (easiest way is from the 'play' type button on the ribbon bar but you can use the Run menu)

after a moment the FFT window should pop up and show a moving line (ie. noise) and the bottom left window will have more text starting with:
Generating '.....\.....\top_block.py'

Executing: .....\.....\python.exe -u ....\....\top_block.py

But the FFT window does not appear on executing the project,the following message appears _

<<< Welcome to GNU Radio Companion 3.7.10.1 >>>

Block paths:
C:\Program Files\GNURadio-3.7\share\gnuradio\grc\blocks

Loading: "C:\Users\Philip\Desktop\wintelive_10channels.grc"
>>> Done

Generating: 'C:\\Users\\Philip\\Desktop\\top_block.py'
>>> Warning: This flow graph may not have flow control: no audio or RF hardware blocks found. Add a Misc->Throttle block to your flow graph to avoid CPU congestion.

Executing: C:\Program Files\GNURadio-3.7\gr-python27\python.exe -u C:\Users\Philip\Desktop\top_block.py

>>> Done

I've not included the exact paths - so where I have put ...\...\ you will see a drive letter and path

Thanks again, I seem to be progressing in the right direction.
eurofoz

Postby milly » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:08 pm

Can you post a screenshot of GRC after the project is loaded?

The error suggests there are blocks missing and that there are gaps in the flow. As downloaded the flow is correct and complete for 10 receivers. The only way they could be missing is you have deleted them.

I am unable to access curly.100dola.eu to check the file locations his instructions stated (I deleted everything after a quick look). I don't recall the grc file being in the ..\desktop (and it's not where I would or did put it)

Also, regarding the cpu in your computer: What type? What speed? How many cores?
milly

Postby eurofoz » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:30 pm

My computer is an AOC Windows 10 64 Bit Intel Celeron CPU1800 @2.4Ghz Dual core 4.00 GB RAM

Will try to upload a screenshot as you suggested, but basically afterthe project is loaded nothing new appears on the GRC at all with the

exception of the message-

Generating: 'C:\\Users\\Philip\\Desktop\\top_block.py'
>>> Warning: This flow graph may not have flow control: no audio or RF hardware blocks found. Add a Misc->Throttle block to your flow graph to avoid CPU congestion.

Executing: C:\Program Files\GNURadio-3.7\gr-python27\python.exe -u C:\Users\Philip\Desktop\top_block.py

in the bottom left hand side.
eurofoz

PreviousNext

Return to DMR & Digital Modes