Re wintelive and tetra decoding help !

Forum for DMR, dPMR, NEXEDGE, Mototrbo, MARC, Tetra & all other DIGITAL modes

Re: Re wintelive and tetra decoding help !

Postby milly » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:03 am

eurofoz

I don't use wintelive (I have used telive) but in an effort to help moj I did two temporary installations. I couldn't reproduce his error but have hopefully cleared up some of the confusion he had with the usage instructions.

From my memory of those two installs I attempted to help you based on your statements that you had some experience of radio/audio decoding software and windows.

I've downloaded the archive again to confirm the file locations and it is as I thought. You claim:

eurofoz wrote:I have gotGNU RADIO downloaded / done the following as per the ' Read me"
Install:
---------
1) Download GNU Radio for Windows from http://www.gcndevelopment.com/gnuradio/downloads.htm
and install
2) Copy contents of gnuradio_mod folder to c:\Program Files\GNURadio-3.7\

Well, you clearly haven't done that based on :

eurofoz wrote:Loading: "C:\Users\Philip\Desktop\wintelive_10channels.grc"
>>> Done

Reading back through your posts suggests to me that you are out of your depth with basic file manipulation in windows and are unable to follow fairly simple instructions. Some people are happy with such things, some not, we are all different.

I'd suggest you start from scratch and follow the instructions this time. It will make it a lot easier for people to try and help if you have actually done what you say you have.
milly

Postby eurofoz » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:13 pm

milly wrote:blah blah blah...all installed

To use

1) Start GRC (GNURadio Companion - the graphical interface)
2) File > Open Recent > (you should see the project you used yesterday) - this will open the project ...\wintelive_10channels.grc (or whatever you used)*
3) Run > Execute

4) Open M-Sys shell and run muxrec 10 (or however many you want)
5) Start wintelive
6) enter the freq range of interest and click connect

* If it's not in the recent list then file open and navigate to wherever you have the grc project saved (ie. standard windows way to find and open a file)

.....or do it the good old-fashioned way from the command prompt which those instructions you quote sort of mix in

Just done this twice on an old laptop (using a windows 7 VM and a windows 10 VM) with a reboot for good measure. Worked OK so hopefully it's just those confusing instructions you had which are the problem?

As you say I am not 100% with windows file manipulation,this is what I am trying to learn, where should the GRC Project be saved? I had it on the desktop whcich take form your comment is wrong
eurofoz

Postby milly » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:00 pm

Why are you quoting an unrelated message?

eurofoz wrote:As you say I am not 100% with windows file manipulation,this is what I am trying to learn, where should the GRC Project be saved? I had it on the desktop whcich take form your comment is wrong

Just follow the installation instructions from the wintelive readme. If you can't do that then I'd suggest you should not be trying to use software like this.

As a reminder this is what those instructions say:
Code: Select all
Install:
---------
1) Download GNU Radio for Windows from http://www.gcndevelopment.com/gnuradio/downloads.htm
   and install
2) Copy contents of gnuradio_mod folder to c:\Program Files\GNURadio-3.7\
3) Download and install M-SYS2 from https://sourceforge.net/projects/msys2/ and install
4) Copy contents of msys_root to your M-SYS2 installation directory
5) Open MSYS2 shell and execute "pacman -S socat tmux"
6) Install VC 2015 runtime

When that's done you'll have the files where I expect them and hopefully ready to go.

Usage (my, hopefully clearer, version)

Code: Select all
To use

1) Start GRC (GNURadio Companion - the graphical interface)
2) File > Open and navigate to ...\wintelive_10channels.grc and open it
3) In GRC Run > Execute (or click on the 'play' type button on the ribbon bar)
4) Open MSYS2 shell and type "muxrec 10" without the quotes and press enter
5) Start wintelive
6) enter the frequency range of interest and click connect

If it doesn't work then there will at least be some chance of helping now that the files are where we'd expect them to be.
Your processor is likely to struggle with 10 active audio streams but we can deal with that later.
milly

Postby moj » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:09 pm

I understand how stressful it is to get this working step by step and it was only after trying different combinations of file placement that I was able to get where I am now so your best plan is to sit down with a cup of tea and go through each step and as milly stated don't add the python script that was in the original instructions cause that's where it can get confusing .

Even tho my version isn't working like it should you will see on the video that I,m going to post that everything else is slowly and will fall into place so just keep trying eurofoz and you will get there , the other thing make sure the mys versions you download is correct , if you have a 32 bit bit computer only use 32 bit software and the same goes if you have a 64 bit windows system only use 64 bit files otherwise your bound to get conflicts ..

Also Linux is completely different to windows so its hard to explain where goes to what etc so its all trial and error mate..

Also to stop to much processor usage instead of 10 streams I changed it to 4 and I,m using windows 7 i7 vpro laptop ;)
moj

Postby eurofoz » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:37 pm

Thanks moj, I will keep on trying, the problem is my lack of knowledge in working with windows files,
Last edited by eurofoz on Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eurofoz

Postby milly » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:51 pm

moj wrote:Also Linux is completely different to windows so its hard to explain where goes to what etc so its all trial and error mate..

You aren't using linux though!

It's not trial and error in windows or linux. The instructions Jacek wrote put his files in sensible places. Using his structure makes it easier to troubleshoot.

moj wrote:Also to stop to much processor usage instead of 10 streams I changed it to 4 and I,m using windows 7 i7 vpro laptop ;)

I imagine 10 streams is excessive anyway (unless you are trying to monitor Airwave..in which case it's fairly pointless to get 9 channels of donald duck anyway!).
That aside, an i7 should be able to handle ten audio streams if you did need it.

There are lots of other ways to skin this cat but they all require something that all computer users should have (whatever the OS they happen to use) - a basic ability to install software and to put files in specific places.
milly

Postby milly » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:50 pm

milly wrote:The instructions Jacek wrote put his files in sensible places. Using his structure makes it easier to troubleshoot.

Though I have just noticed that in the readme version he doesn't actually say where to put the grc file.

It doesn't matter in terms of running it but I'd suggest create a project sub-directory in the gnuradio root and put it there. That is what he and I have. I just put it there on autopilitot).
milly

Postby eurofoz » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:25 pm

As suggested I have been back to scratch re read the install and use instructions from milly , started again with wintelive and made a lot more progress,

So far,
The GNU Radio companion starts with the flow chat blocks present and I am able to run the project \wintelive_10channels.grc" I am seeing details of my dongle appear in the lower left wIndow of GRC,as the project loads, The FFT Plot window opens and is showing activity,

I can then open MSYS2 , After entering the command MUXREC the following appears "duplicate session: Tetra
sessions should be nested with care, unset $TMUX to force"

The very botom of the shell has a green bar with [Tetra] 0:bash* "~" 11:02 02-mar-17 inside it

However no action or messages are appearing in the shell after this.

I can now open Wintelive and when I connect the Wintel Monitor window apppears listing the recivers and I am able to attempt to tune as described in millys
previous post and in cULRY bOIs video

milly wrote:Once you are connected you'll have a whole bunch of windows.
One, near the top of the pile, with the ten (or whatever) receivers in it. Final column says 'off'. Click on the first one and you'll get options to autotune or bandscan. Change that first one to autotune. That will scan the whole range you entered before (say 380-400MHz) and show the channels with activity along the bottom.
Look at the stripes on that scan and pick a point that is quite dense. Use the freq at the centre of that dense bit and enter it as the Baseband Frequency in the box at the top of that same window.
Now click on Tune New (same window still) and it will use the ten closest to your 'baseband freq' to tune your ten (or whatever) receivers. You should start seeing activity in the left section of that window which relates to the freqs that are active.

I've not delved deeper - some of those tuned freqs won't be active and you can force individual receivers to retune. You can also use one or more purely for bandscans whilst the others are already receiving data.

However I am seeing no data or tuned frequencies appear even though I am attempting to tune known Tetra Frequencies and no audio is present,

It seems someting is needed with MSYS2 to actually bring everything together, I did carry out the following when installing it,

4) Copy contents of msys_root to your M-SYS2 installation directory
5) Open M-SYS2 shell and execute "pacman -S socat tmux"

Also as you stated milly my PC Is slow with 10 receivers are open I think it would be better to reduce this , when all is running
Many thanks for all your help milly and moj.
eurofoz

Postby milly » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:44 pm

That's sounding more positive.

That warning in msys would suggest you have two copies of the script running at once somehow.
After a reboot can you try going through the steps to run it all again.

when you run msys2 pause a moment to make sure you have the bash prompt.
Then enter your muxrec command

After a moment the window should change to give you the green bar at the bottom but should show:
[Tetra] 0:bash 1:RX1 2:RX2 (up to whatever number of receivers you entered) computer name, time, date

If you enter muxrec 10 and the window isn't wide enough to show all the numbers it will show
[Tetra] < 6:RX1 and then the rest of the line in a similar way

If the project flow is running you should also now see a scrolling display of the AFC fine tuning above the green status bar

The reboot shouldn't really be necessary but it's a guaranteed way of stopping any background msys activity. When I've used msys for other things it doesn't always seem to stop cleanly.
Last edited by milly on Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
milly

Postby moj » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:54 pm

One more thing I noticed was if you do your control alt and detete and get to your taskmanager page you will see bash running and socat command and even tetra rx etc , before rebooting the pc I end us those tasks one by one so when you restart or restart the processes all traces have gone so its ready to type the scripts again eurofoz and glad your getting somewhere now cause its def a learning curve ;)
moj

PreviousNext

Return to DMR & Digital Modes