Whistler TRX 1 & 2 updates

Forum for DMR, dPMR, NEXEDGE, Mototrbo, MARC, Tetra & all other DIGITAL modes

Whistler TRX 1 & 2 updates

Postby redman99 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:38 pm

Has anyone done the updates

http://forums.radioreference.com/whistl ... x-2-a.html

Make sure you do the PC application 1st read the above well.

If you have done the update.
How do you find the new search options.
Keith
Whistler TRX-2 BCD396T BCT15X CS-701 Plessey Vixen WinRadio G315 + other various old tat
redman99
 
Posts: 54
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:03 pm

Re: Whistler TRX 1 & 2 updates

Postby Metradio » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:51 pm

redman99 wrote:Has anyone done the updates...


Yes, updated my TRX1, a real game changer, the mode search function and manual frequency entry and tune have improved the TRX1 and 2 from a good scanner to an excellent scanner.. :biggrin:

Mike
Connect Systems CS750 and CS800, Hytera PD-365, Motorola DP4600.
Raspberry Pi 2 and DV4Mini HotSpot.
AOR AR-DV1 Digital Voice Receiver / eSPY on ARD.
WS1088 / TRX-1 / Whistler Q /UBCD3600XLT.
User avatar
Metradio
 
Posts: 281
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:53 pm
Location: Box 500, Slough, Berkshire

Re: Whistler TRX 1 & 2 updates

Postby redman99 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:56 pm

Metradio wrote:
redman99 wrote:Has anyone done the updates...


Yes, updated my TRX1, a real game changer, the mode search function and manual frequency entry and tune have improved the TRX1 and 2 from a good scanner to an excellent scanner.. :biggrin:

Mike
Would still be really nice to have user selectable search steps.
Yes it is a lot better, a good update that's for sure.
Whistler TRX-2 BCD396T BCT15X CS-701 Plessey Vixen WinRadio G315 + other various old tat
redman99
 
Posts: 54
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:03 pm

Re: Whistler TRX 1 & 2 updates

Postby jimh » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:22 pm

Metradio wrote:the mode search function and manual frequency entry and tune have improved the TRX1 and 2 from a good scanner to an excellent scanner.. :biggrin:
Mike


Perhaps I missed something, but when you say mode search function, do you mean the automatic mode detection (ie Analogue, DMR, NXDN) when in search mode?
I guess I'm trying to determine if there is another new feature I've missed, as I know the automatic mode detection was available in the previous firmware release, albeit that searching was effectively constrained to 'Limit Search' for those of us in the UK.
jimh
 
Posts: 116
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:13 pm

Re: Whistler TRX 1 & 2 updates

Postby redman99 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:56 pm

jimh wrote:
Metradio wrote:the mode search function and manual frequency entry and tune have improved the TRX1 and 2 from a good scanner to an excellent scanner.. :biggrin:
Mike


Perhaps I missed something, but when you say mode search function, do you mean the automatic mode detection (ie Analogue, DMR, NXDN) when in search mode?
I guess I'm trying to determine if there is another new feature I've missed, as I know the automatic mode detection was available in the previous firmware release, albeit that searching was effectively constrained to 'Limit Search' for those of us in the UK.
What we could do with is a help file that details the changes.It seems a little poke & hope.Search I was thinking of was search within limits, say 156 to 162 at 25 khz steps 162 to 174 at 12.5khz steps. 406 to 470 12.5 khz steps 225 to 399 25 khz steps & so on.Again we really do need user selectables search steps.6.25 khz slows the search rate.Also a chart detailing the UK band plan.Keith
Whistler TRX-2 BCD396T BCT15X CS-701 Plessey Vixen WinRadio G315 + other various old tat
redman99
 
Posts: 54
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:03 pm

Re: Whistler TRX 1 & 2 updates

Postby redman99 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:07 pm

Metradio wrote:
redman99 wrote:Has anyone done the updates...


Yes, updated my TRX1, a real game changer, the mode search function and manual frequency entry and tune have improved the TRX1 and 2 from a good scanner to an excellent scanner.. :biggrin:

Mike
Mike you are our TRX expert.Could you help with menu items.Special Mode,Tune ? mode, is Spectrum Sweep more less Close Call ?
Thanks Keith
Whistler TRX-2 BCD396T BCT15X CS-701 Plessey Vixen WinRadio G315 + other various old tat
redman99
 
Posts: 54
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:03 pm

Re: Whistler TRX 1 & 2 updates

Postby moj » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:45 pm

On a personal note I wouldn't say spectrum sweeper is not as good as closecall, only due to the user transmitting has to be talking long enough to sniff there details out and yet some people say closecall works on digital on the unidens but again in my experience it didn't do the job very well unless it was a closeby repeater that it found but I had problems picking things up using simplex etc
moj
 
Posts: 460
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:10 pm
Location: uk , northwest

Re: Whistler TRX 1 & 2 updates

Postby jimh » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:57 pm

redman99 wrote:Again we really do need user selectables search steps.6.25 khz slows the search rate.Also a chart detailing the UK band plan.Keith


Completely agree with the user selectable steps comment....one thing to bear in mind is that for some of us 6.25khz is the minimum step size needed: increasingly seeing DMR being used on the JFMG 455, 457, 467 bands plus many NXDN users are using 3.125khz offsets from the 'normal' short term hire frequencies. If you just rely on 12.5khz steps, you'll miss all this.

Close Call vs spectrum sweeper....IMHO the latter is too slow to capture most transmissions, but then close call will never work on single slot DMR. I prefer close call, but just my opinion, and respect that others might not agree with that/have different opinions.
jimh
 
Posts: 116
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:13 pm

Re: Whistler TRX 1 & 2 updates

Postby redman99 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:59 am

jimh wrote:
redman99 wrote:Again we really do need user selectables search steps.6.25 khz slows the search rate.Also a chart detailing the UK band plan.Keith


Completely agree with the user selectable steps comment....one thing to bear in mind is that for some of us 6.25khz is the minimum step size needed: increasingly seeing DMR being used on the JFMG 455, 457, 467 bands plus many NXDN users are using 3.125khz offsets from the 'normal' short term hire frequencies. If you just rely on 12.5khz steps, you'll miss all this.

Close Call vs spectrum sweeper....IMHO the latter is too slow to capture most transmissions, but then close call will never work on single slot DMR. I prefer close call, but just my opinion, and respect that others might not agree with that/have different opinions.
noted from Wendy >> To my knowledge the only change was in the updating a few step sizes to be compliant with DMR and NXDN radios.We need to see the new UK band to see if the steps for NXDN have been changed to 3.125 Khz.Point taken on the JFMG bands + remember 139/141.Plus all 152/155 Mhz range.The service searches really do not suit the UK, still US based.Within the search menu's again, user setable steps + editing of the search bands.That would work as you could customise the bands & no real need for a band plan.We all need to voice the things we find that could make the radio's better. We are really doing the work UK dealers should be doing.Keith
Whistler TRX-2 BCD396T BCT15X CS-701 Plessey Vixen WinRadio G315 + other various old tat
redman99
 
Posts: 54
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:03 pm

Re: Whistler TRX 1 & 2 updates

Postby Metradio » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:11 pm

jimh wrote:Perhaps I missed something, but when you say mode search function, do you mean the automatic mode detection (ie Analogue, DMR, NXDN) when in search mode? .....


It is best described as the search by mode function...
You set your frequency parameters then tick the mode you wish to search for, NXDN, DMR etc..

The rest of your points you seem to have answered for yourselves...

Mike
Connect Systems CS750 and CS800, Hytera PD-365, Motorola DP4600.
Raspberry Pi 2 and DV4Mini HotSpot.
AOR AR-DV1 Digital Voice Receiver / eSPY on ARD.
WS1088 / TRX-1 / Whistler Q /UBCD3600XLT.
User avatar
Metradio
 
Posts: 281
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:53 pm
Location: Box 500, Slough, Berkshire

Next

Return to DMR & Digital Modes

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Mark5R and 2 guests