UBCD3600 DMR help

Forum for DMR, dPMR, NEXEDGE, Mototrbo, MARC, Tetra & all other DIGITAL modes

UBCD3600 DMR help

Postby scalp99 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:15 pm

I've recently bought a Uniden UBCD-3600 to replace a broken AR-8200. I've managed to figure out the basics of programming the scanner but am having a few problems receiving things. This might be due to my complete lack of knowledge about digital scanning as although I've used scanners for many years this is my first use of a digital one.

My local shopwatch operates on 455.475. When listening to this either by searching or scanning, I only get intermittent comms. The issue seems to be with the TDMA time slots. If the transmission is on slot 2 then I get audio and the display shows Net:0/Site:0/TG:2/U:100 along with DMR and S2. However, with slot 1 I don't get any audio and all four numbers are 0 even though the signal is max strength. In contrast, the traffic wardens use 453.815 and everything works on slot 1 but nothing at all on slot 2. There are also other frequencies that have full signal strength but no audio and no info displayed.

The scanner allows programming systems as one frequency DMR (which is what I believe this is using) but to do this you have to enter the TGID which I'm unable to find out - is it possible to enter anything that will allow all TG's to be received?

I've tried to find info online but everything seems to be US-based and not much help over here.

Thanks.
scalp99

Re: UBCD3600 DMR help

Postby Scanner Brussels » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:53 pm

I think that if you do not enter any TGID the scanner will take them all.
Did not try it but I saw something about it on a dutch scanner forum.

About the TDMA you can set them to "ANY" (if TGID is used)

Scanner Brussels
Scanner Brussels

Postby scalp99 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:35 pm

Scanner Brussels wrote:I think that if you do not enter any TGID the scanner will take them all.

Scanner Brussels

Thanks. Just tried that, only putting the frequency in the "edit site" and leaving the department/TGID empty and it seems that until a TGID is entered, nothing shows up in the scan. My main issue is that the scanner doesn't seem to be decoding the signals. Having just spent a while searching the 450-460Mhz band, there are many frequencies that the search will stop on with strong signal strength but absolutely no audio, either with or without the digital info displayed. I'm wondering whether all these are encrypted. Is it possible to just encrypt one of the time slots?
scalp99

Postby Staffs Paul » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:40 pm

scalp99 wrote:Is it possible to just encrypt one of the time slots?

If it is encrypted then you will get scrambled audio through. If it is sending data then you will not hear any voice.
Staffs Paul

Postby Scanner Brussels » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:20 am

scalp99 wrote:
Scanner Brussels wrote:I think that if you do not enter any TGID the scanner will take them all.

Scanner Brussels

Thanks. Just tried that, only putting the frequency in the "edit site" and leaving the department/TGID empty and it seems that until a TGID is entered, nothing shows up in the scan. My main issue is that the scanner doesn't seem to be decoding the signals. Having just spent a while searching the 450-460Mhz band, there are many frequencies that the search will stop on with strong signal strength but absolutely no audio, either with or without the digital info displayed. I'm wondering whether all these are encrypted. Is it possible to just encrypt one of the time slots?

Maybe you can test it with the Brandmeister network? See https://brandmeister.network/?page=lh
There you have the frequencies of the UK amateur radio's who are on DMR.

Scanner Brussels
Scanner Brussels

Postby bigboyblue » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:09 pm

Its possible on Motorola handsets to encrypt each slot. Its controlled by the radio, not the repeater.

Its also possible to put encryption on a per channel basis - so some comms on one talkgroup could be in the clear, some could be encrypted.
bigboyblue

Postby scalp99 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:46 pm

Thanks for the replies. I've spent a few hours today searching and I think that everything digital around here (just south east of Heathrow) is either fully or partially encrypted - either that or there's a big problem with the scanner! I've picked up quite a few active DMR and CAP+/CON+ signals but only occasional audio on them. I tried searching the ham bands (430-440) but couldn't pick up any activity - maybe the weekend will be busier. Are there any digital ham repeaters in the Heathrow area?

I'm also going to try and figure out the trunk tracking facility over the weekend, provided I can find a control channel to test! The only trunked systems I'm aware of in this area are the analogue MPT-1327 systems at the airport which the scanner can't follow.
scalp99

Postby Scanner Brussels » Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:14 am

Like I said you should checkout the brandmeister network : http://www.bm-dmr.uk/dashboard/index.ph ... &search=gb
There you have all the information about the amateur radio repeaters.

Good luck!

Scanner Brussels
Scanner Brussels

Postby Metradio » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:32 am

There are loads of DMR signals in and around Heathrow, of those very few are encrypted.. When you do come across an encrypted signal you still hear the audio - sound like Klingon..
There is an amateur DMR repeater at Heathrow on 439.450MHz..
The MPT1327 trunked systems are not compatible with any scanners and to the scanners are just FM signals. The current MPT1327 systems are coming to the end of the lives and will be replaced by digital systems..

Mike
Connect Systems CS750 and CS800, Hytera PD-365, Motorola DP4600.
Raspberry Pi 2 and DV4Mini HotSpot.
AOR AR-DV1 Digital Voice Receiver / eSPY on ARD.
WS1088 / TRX-1 / Whistler Q /UBCD3600XLT / WTR Browser.
Metradio

Postby scalp99 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:10 pm

Thanks for that. I've spent the last couple of days experimenting and things are starting to become clearer now. I found a couple of encrypted transmissions so I now know what these sound like. I'm still puzzled as to what all these signals are that are not producing any audio. I must have found almost 20 frequencies that are either not being decoded or are using some other type of anti listening system. I've seen RAS mentioned elsewhere - would this be responsible?

One more question - how does ID Search work with trunking? The manual states that it should be used on a trunk group with no ID's entered, however without entering any ID's the group doesn't seem to become available for scanning in the favourites list so clearly I'm missing something! I've successfully used the trunking discovery mode to ID some talkgroups but would like to figure out what I'm doing wrong with ID Searching.
scalp99

Next

Return to DMR & Digital Modes